Coffee & weight loss?

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
As long as you're drinking plenty of water, does coffee interfere at all with weight loss? Asking because I recently reintroduced coffee (1-2 cups a day at most). I know what you add to it might cause weight gain, but what about just coffee itself?

Replies

• Fabulous_Fit
    Options
    Coffee itself will not cause you to gain weight, just remember to drink your normal 8 glasses of water per day, but if you are worried, due to the fact that coffee dehydrates, you could drink an extra glass or two due to how much coffee you drink.

Many people do not count creamer calories and sugar in coffee and that is an easy way to actually get more calories in your diet. Just a thought :)
  • healthy_jessx3
    healthy_jessx3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i always wonder and ask the same thing! i have to have my coffee and i have to use some kind of creamer or else i dont like it. but i mean when i first started losing weight (im kinda at a plateau now) i lost 10 pounds in the first month & a half and i still drank coffee. But recently i just switched to sugar free creamer.
  • Nelford76
    Nelford76 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would think the caffeine in the coffee has some type of thermogenic effect.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Coffee won't hinder your weight loss, but track any cream or sugar you add in your daily calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    coffee hydrates you and caffeine is a mild stimulant. There may be some benefit but it certainly doesn't hinder weight loss.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Black coffee has virtually no calories, and the caffeine it contains will suppress appetite. As long as it is consumed in moderation, it will only help weight loss.

If you load it with sugar and cream, it's just a coffee flavoured milkshake at that point.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Coffee actually helps keep me full longer in the mornings. Coffee itself doesnt hinder weight loss but the stuff you add to it might. I learned to like it with Stevia/Splenda and drink it without cream. Or, use a lighter version.
  • pjhrt
    pjhrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've cut out coffee (and all other caffeine) completely...but that's because I have so much sugar in mine! The first few days were tough and I got bad headaches but I feel better for it now...I don't have that afternoon crash.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me to cut down on coffee but not cut it out. I have 3 or 4 cups a day. I've lost 63lbs so I don't think it's had an effect either way. I put a bit of milk on my coffee, nothing else.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Coffee won't hinder your weight loss, but track any cream or sugar you add in your daily calories.

^^This

I drink coffee everyday :drinker: