5lbs in 4 weeks Question

Options
Hey everyone,

I weighed in today at 5lbs down in 4 weeks...., I know that its weight loss and it should be slow and progressive, in your opinion is that a decent amount to lose in a month? I don't know why i feel so discouraged. I guess because I see some people losing 10lbs+ in a months time.

some additional info : I am 5'5 and weighed at 190 last month. Now am at 185. My cals are set at 1200 and I do eat all my calories back. I exercise about 4-5 times a week(moderately). My go-to-weight where my body feels most comfortable has always been at 150-155lbs. Could I be losing slower since I dont have "too much" to lose?

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, that is a decent amount to lose in a month.

It could be that the weight is coming off slower because you don't have much to lose...I'm currently in the same situation.
  • penguina727
    penguina727 Posts: 11
    Options
    1-2lbs a week is nothing to be discouraged about. You didn't gain it overnight you won't lose it overnight. Keep up the good work.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    With the amount of weight you have left to lose, a goal of somewhere between 1/2 and 1 pound per week is a very healthy rate so you're right on targe. Way to go!!
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A 1lb a week is pretty good. Id be pleased with that. Slowly and sensibly is the way to go. WELL DONE YOU ;-)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have been at it 11 weeks and lost 11 pounds. My stats are very close to yours.I am 5' 6" I started at 205 and am now 194.
    Slow and steady wins the race, don't stress it too much. You'll get there.
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That is definitely a decent amount, GOOD JOB GIRL :) I personally vary in months, some weeks i won't lose any weight and the next I'll be down 4 pounds, our body's are very complex
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for your input! It's nice to hear other people tell me I am on the right track. When you completely change your eating habits for the better and work out so much more, you think you'll see the changes just like that! But, I have to keep reminding myself as long as I am loosing im doing okay...
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I started at 191 on 1/1/13. I weigh 175 right now, I go to the gym 3 times a week, plus walk my dogs and walk on the treadmill twice a week. That averages to losing 3.2 pounds per month and I'm Happy with that. Because we have celebrations alot and on those days I eat whatever. But I'm just happy to be down 16 but still trying to get down to 150. I'm 5'5" too. You are doing great for one month!:flowerforyou:
  • slb_71
    slb_71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I have completely changed my eating habits and began 4/5 days a week of exercise starting this past mid January. My weight loss has been about 5 lbs a month too. I was discouraged but just kept at it and am finally down 20lbs in 4 months. I don't know if its just the way my body works or what. But it is sometimes hard when you see people lose 10lbs a month! JUST KEEP AT IT!!!! :smile:
  • TBeauty01
    TBeauty01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are doing very well! I can relate to you being that we are the same height and started off around the same weight. I am 5'5 and started out at 191. Now about a month in, I am down to about 182 (almost 10lbs) and fluctuate a pound or two here and there. Most people lose 5-10lbs within the first month so no need to be discourage as I can tell you in advance, there will be times you will be at a stand still or even gain a pound. Sounds scary rght? No need to worry though. It is better to lose it slower because you are better at keeping it off. Often times when we start this new lifestyle of being fit and eating healthier, we look towards the scale. HA! Bad thing to do I learned because the scale is usually not our bestfriends when we want them to be so I've learned to look at 1) How am I feeling overall? Now I am feeling more energetic and able to do alot more things than I did a month ago without being exhausted 2)Are clothes fitting better? 3) Any physical changes? For me, I have noticed I lost 2.5inches off my waist. There are many ways to count your accomplishments rather than the scale because if we all had to rely on that, I am sure 98% of us would have quit a longgg time ago. Keep up the good work. You can do it :D
  • rgriner80
    rgriner80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Since returning to MFP, I've only lost a little over a pound and half in two weeks. I'm very upset about that since I gained those two pounds a lot quicker than that.
  • brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    That's actually good and shows your consistency. Keep pushing.