Whey protein. Does it really matter when you eat it?

Options
So my kids are very athletic and love smoothies as part of breakfast. So started adding Whey protein to the smoothie and also have been starting to have some smoothie as well in the morning with the Whey protein to add some more protein to the diet.

Thing is we usually don't workout until the afternoon/evening. So is it pointless to use the Whey protein at 7AM when I wont workout until 6PM? Or are we simply pre-fueling the body with protein for the day?

I ask this because I notice a couple or articles that imply that the protein shake/smoothie should be drank right before or after workout.

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is good before or after a workout. If you want protein in shake form to keep you fuller and make a thicker consistency, try casein protein rather than whey. IMO, adding protein at any time of day is good if you need additional protein.
  • lornahurley
    lornahurley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends what your objectives are.. if it's to purely increase amount of protein you're getting into your diet, then anytime is fine.
    If it's to support muscle growth , then ideally it should be straight after training.

I have a protein shake first thing every day, then have breakfast a couple of hours later. But I'm trying to include a good amount of protein into my diet and the whey is a quick and easy way. On days, I train, i'll also have one straight after, especially if I'm doing weights to help my body recover.
  • 27jynx11
    27jynx11 Posts: 16
    Options
    To answer your question... No it doesn't matter when you take protein. Have it when ever you feel like it, if you're working on building muscle, the body repairs and builds new muscle fibers when you are resting whilst asleep. As long as you are not taking an excessive a mount of protein you'll be fine too much is bad for your health over a long period of time. As a general guide have about 1 gram of protein per 1kg of body weight. If you are getting enough protein in your diet, there is no real benefit to having more.
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    I suppose it depends what your objectives are.. if it's to purely increase amount of protein you're getting into your diet, then anytime is fine.
    If it's to support muscle growth , then ideally it should be straight after training.

I have a protein shake first thing every day, then have breakfast a couple of hours later. But I'm trying to include a good amount of protein into my diet and the whey is a quick and easy way. On days, I train, i'll also have one straight after, especially if I'm doing weights to help my body recover.
    Its both. Trying to make sure I get enough protein in diet (according to MFP food log) and also when I workout. So in addition to adding the Whey protein in smoothies I also take a Muscle Milk Light (one of the little juice box sizes) right after I workout. That brings up another question. Typically the weight training part of my workout is between to 2 parts of a cardio workout. So about 30 minutes of cardio, then 30-45 minutes of weight training followed by another 30 minutes of cardio. So I dont drink the Muscle Milk unto say 40-60 minutes after the weight training is complete.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. More importantly, while whey is considered a "fast" protein because of its low digestion/absorption rate, that presumes that the only thing in your stomach is a liquid protein and not, say, all the other food you eat during the day. Absorption/digestion time decreases when there's other stuff mixed in.

A less scientific opinion would be as follows:

Good: 50% of protein in the morning and 50% postworkout OR 0% protein in morning and 100% postworkout.

Less good: 100% of protein in the morning and 0% postworkout.

Cliffs:
    - You're fine.
    - Muscle Milk is delicious.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    No, doesn't matter.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Use it anytime. True whey is a quick absorbing protein if you mix it water, but once you add in milk or even almond milk and other ingredients, the absorption time goes out the window.