what exactly is to "eat clean"?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've learned in the dozens and dozens of threads about clean eating.

It's an entirely made up and arbitrary term that varies from person to person as they see fit.

And secondly, it doesn't do a thing for weight loss. Counting calories does.

Clean eating is more of health benefit then a weight loss plan. You will eat healthier therotically by eating clean. But it's more of a health choice then a weight loss plan. It's healthier to eat fresh raw unprocessed non-chemically injected or enhanced foods. You can lose weight eating anything you want, following any diet. Depends on what your goals are. Jusst like switching to organic.. i buy mostly organic because I'm against GMO.. not becuase I think i'll lose more weight that way.. Although I do believe organic foods are inherently healthier then non-organic foods. I don't care if anyone else agrees with me or not.

If someone is telling you "you're not eating clean enough" tell them to go worry about thier own health goals.

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2012/september/organic.html
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    TEDRICKP!! I love your ticker!! LMAO!!!

:happy:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I don't care if anyone else agrees with me or not.

Translation: I can be demonstrably wrong but I'll continue to believe whatever feels right.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    People may not like my answer but for me to "eat clean" means: Eating in such a way that you hit your food / nutritonal goals. So someone that is Vegan may have a different definition of eating clean then myself. Also a powerlifter will probably have a different diet and nutritional plan then an elite marathoner or cycler, etc.. For myself, just an average guy, eating clean means setting my dietary goals and eating to meet them. At this time it means weight loss with some lifting and cardio. At some point in time I would like to do more lifting and my dietary goals will change and eating clean may mean something else at that point.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    double post
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't care if anyone else agrees with me or not.

Translation: I can be demonstrably wrong but I'll continue to believe whatever feels right.
    lol.. well since I can read about what GMO is and what they are putting into the seeds of the plants.. esp without any studies to show what the long term health effects can be.. I'll stick with tried and true gardening techniquies that kept my grandparents alive. I don't think it's healthy to inject pesticides into seeds and then eat the foods produced by those seeds.. Am I 100%? No. But you do what you want and I'll do what I want. Obviously my choices are working for me.

as for the study posted above.. yes.. an apple is an apple. I want to eat the one that doesn't have pesticides injected in it's seeds. (and ya know.. since they dont' tell us what kind of GMO is used on any particular item.. i'll just avoid them all) Like fish.. I want to eat the wild caught fish rather then farm raised ones, because farm raised ones are where all the"bad fish" comes from. Rather pay a little more and not get sick.

(plus I grew up eating fish I caught.. it tastes better, fish where live now sucks.. lol))

I'm not wrong. I just have different beliefs about food and nutrition than you do.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    simply it is

if it didn't come from a mom, a tree or the ground don't eat it

Well I'm a mom, and I make some awesome toll house cookies. So....you can eat them.
    tumblr_inline_mmz30cbKUN1qz4rgp.gif
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    from what I am reading here and elsewhere "clean" is "unprocessed"...

now the problem I have with that is the minute you chop a veggie or fruit it becomes processed...

also has anyone given thought to water, it is heavily treated to be clear, it has undergone water treatment therefore been processed... so how is water good for you?

sorry just being a bit blasé there...

but I personally would refer the same as others and say the less chemical additives the better, our bodies are not a chemical plant...

I eat "NUTRIENT DENSE" not "CALORIE DENSE" food... well as much as possible, sometimes I have an odd cookie or bit of home-made cheesecake, but I ramp up the exercise to compensate....
  • QueenGyn
    QueenGyn Posts: 106
    Options
    I like my clean ice cream. Get ice cream. Wash with 1tbls of dish soap (Lemon flavor is the best).

Wash with hot water, mix. refreeze. Eat.

Sorry.

And to think here in my country we do have the so called "dirty ice cream" but it doesn't taste dirty though!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's not a phrase we use in the U.K.

Yes it is!

I've never heard it spoken here before. Must be what them fancy-folk up London-way talk like.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/

and
    The fitness & nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many things people worry about simply have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren’t worth an ounce of concern.
    -Alan Aragon
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options

And to think here in my country we do have the so called "dirty ice cream" but it doesn't taste dirty though!

And Dirty Potato Chips are called that because they are LESS processed and MORE natural than regular potato chips.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i wash my hands before a meal. Viola! clean eating.

i do enjoy watching people who promote a clean eating lifestyle disagreeing on what that lifestyle entails.

I don't like the term "clean eating" because it does have a superior connotation, when there is nothing to support that it is, in fact, superior. but that's just semantics.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I actually think clean eating serves a very important purpose, having nothing to do with biology. Rather than contributing to a system of obsessive eating behavior, clean eating calms it-ironically. I think lots of people out in the world not only don't keep up with the ebb and flow of debated food science, but they also don't want to. Either they lack the capability, desire, time, or resources to do their own research. And even when people do look at the research (that researchers themselves debate), they're probably misinterpreting it.

Clean eating, as it's usually used, provides people with a simplified way of eating and thinking about food that probably won't hurt them. If you look at it in terms of strict definitions, there's a lot that could go wrong, but that's not how belief systems work.

So there you have it. Clean eating is a belief system. It's definitely not ideal, but it could be worse.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Myself Ive always thought of it as eating whole foods 1 and only 1 ingredient. Strawberries, banannas, apples, fish, chicken, hamburger, steak, lettace, oatmeal, walnuts, well you get the idea.
  • Lyndz_88
    Lyndz_88 Posts: 29
    Options
    basically it means eat what you could grow... so you cant grow chocolate, but you could grow cocoa beans and grind it into powder, (or just buy unsweetened cocoa :p) then maybe use that to make something sweet thats "clean" for example i love this brownies, and they are "clean" http://www.hungryhealthyhappy.com/brownie-bites/
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I actually think clean eating serves a very important purpose, having nothing to do with biology. Rather than contributing to a system of obsessive eating behavior, clean eating calms it-ironically. I think lots of people out in the world not only don't keep up with the ebb and flow of debated food science, but they also don't want to. Either they lack the capability, desire, time, or resources to do their own research. And even when people do look at the research (that researchers themselves debate), they're probably misinterpreting it.

Clean eating, as it's usually used, provides people with a simplified way of eating and thinking about food that probably won't hurt them. If you look at it in terms of strict definitions, there's a lot that could go wrong, but that's not how belief systems work.

So there you have it. Clean eating is a belief system. It's definitely not ideal, but it could be worse.

Thats a thoughtful and great response iMO - food for thought for sure.

My only issue is "Clean eating as it is usually used". That's the crux of the problem - I don't know if I have pinned down how it is "usually used".

From this small thread alone:

* It means eating natural foods with only natural ingredients. (basically nothing artificial or with added chemicals/preservatives.)

* A person who eats clean would never eat fat free ice cream or light mayo. They would eat real haagen daz and homemade mayo.

* Pasta and rice are things you can be clean foods depending on who you ask and what kind they are.

* I thought processed foods was anything made by a company?

* Don't eat anything I can't pronounce. Look at labels and if you see a list of chemicals, it's better to move on to a different product.

* If it has a label, it probably isn't "clean".

* Also see Paleo Diet

* reshly snapped green beans = clean canned/frozen green beans = not so clean

*if it didn't come from a mom, a tree or the ground don't eat it

I am not disagreeing or agreeing with these people at all - Im just showcasing that it is a very difficult concept to pin down. Is it all of the above things? Some of the above things? Not at all any of the above things?

to me I'd rather place faith in things like Calorie Deficit and IIFYM. At least those belief systems have a real definition.

Maybe this is my own hang up though, and I am looking too much into it.... That has been known to happen...
  • Lyndz_88
    Lyndz_88 Posts: 29
    Options
    It's not a phrase we use in the U.K.

Yes it is!

Was just thinking that, Ive heard it loads!
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    A good trick is to shop the outside perimeter of your supermarket. Produce, dairy, meat, fish, and bread are located there. Processed and junk food are in all the rows. Not perfect advice, but helpful.

I shop at tesco... that wouldnt work

Well not unless i wanted to eat cd's, dvd's, gardening equipment, fresh cream cakes (not half!! but so not good for the diet) and glass (wine bottles)