Starting a new weight loss program - anyone wanna add?

Options
2»

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    If you put all the weight back on after the first time you did this, why would you be trying it again? It obviously wasn't sustainable.
  • Thoth8
    Thoth8 Posts: 107
    Options
    @: Sarauk2sf

My fasting IS from Eat Stop Eat. He (Brad Pilon, the author) recommends 2 days a week. I just added a day. According to his research between 18-72 hours of fasting gives the greatest benefits. I am doing 3 bouts of 30 hours.

@ Rassha01 Thanks and yeah, definitely give it a shot. As long as you're an adult with no illnesses like diabetes or the like, trying a 24 hour session of fasting shouldn't be a problem. It's mentally tough though.

@ brencklea thanks!
  • Thoth8
    Options
    @ Jackien2js I had financial issues at the time which is the only reason I stopped. It was sustainable but the organic foods were expensive and I was in debt, so I had to resort* to eating really cheap foods that were not so healthy, this killed my motivation. Now my financial issues are resolved, and I finally got my motivation back recently.
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    @harley1968

Don't feel bad, I am practically in tears myself that I just recently learned who Jack LaLanne is. He's the patriarch of modern fitness. He invented the leg extension machine, the cable pulley system of weight machines which most of the world now uses, and was capable of several superhuman feats which left even prominent people like Arnold Schwarzenegger in awe. A summary of his superhuman accomplishments: 1000+ pushups in 20 mins (1955!!! in his 40s) pulling 70 boats while hand-cuffed and shackled, swimming only with his legs... he pulled them for 1 mile (1.5 km) and there were even people on the boats. This guy was a serious hulk. Not to mention he stopped eating all forms of junk food at the age of 15. He exercised for at least 2 hours everyday regardless of illness or weather. He lived to be 96 years old, he died in 2011. :-(
    Thank you for letting me know :smile:
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Kanifer! I am rooting for you to do it this time!
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Heya... just wanted to add something :)

" pulling 70 boats while hand-cuffed and shackled, swimming only with his legs... he pulled them for 1 mile (1.5 km) and there were even people on the boats"

One thing to add... this was on his 70th birthday :)

I was there... I was on my Coast Guard boat enforcing the safety/security zone. He came on board and kidded around with us... then towed our 41' boat a couple of hundred yards!

Amazing man.... glad I got pictures of this...
  • Thoth8
    Options
    Thanks Tphil.

And Woodmangler, OMG I am so jealous. Yes, I forgot to mention he did this in his 70s. I am rather pissed that I only found out about him now. I only learned of his existence like 1-2 months ago. He's my number 1 idol on the fitness front now. Jeez... all my idols are dying out.... first George Carlin, then Robert Jordan, and now Jack LaLanne.

I would have loved to see that. I was really born in the wrong age haha.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I definately think fasting has benefits but you may be able to see them with a routine that is not quite as strict. It could be that is why you regained the weight last time? Try doing something including fasting you think you can live with forever, like leangains.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me, similarly I know exactly what I should do but have trouble doing it, heh heh. I have fasted before but it is very tough, now I regularly consume only fresh vegetable juice every few weeks. I find it clears my mind and reduces the cravings for crappy foods. It teaches self discipline, for people like me who aren't always in control around food that can only be a good thing ;) Best of luck man, I hope it goes well for you :)
  • Thoth8
    Options
    Hi Shanna, yes it's not easy. I'm an impatient man by nature, this is the least radical thing I can accept right now. I will reduce the amount of fasting to one day once my goal is attained.
  • Thoth8
    Options
    hey fuzzie

indeed, it's tough. I remember the first time I did this, i was able to distract myself from the cravings once I got into the rhythm of the program
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    @: Sarauk2sf

My fasting IS from Eat Stop Eat. He (Brad Pilon, the author) recommends 2 days a week. I just added a day. According to his research between 18-72 hours of fasting gives the greatest benefits. I am doing 3 bouts of 30 hours.

@ Rassha01 Thanks and yeah, definitely give it a shot. As long as you're an adult with no illnesses like diabetes or the like, trying a 24 hour session of fasting shouldn't be a problem. It's mentally tough though.

@ brencklea thanks!

If you are using ESE, then I am not sure why you would add another day of fasting. More is not always better.
  • Thoth8
    Options
    Because I remember seeing a blog by the author where he said a third day is okay, but not recommended because some people want to go even further than that which is where things start to get dangerous.

I am definitely not gonna be tempted to go further than a third day since the 3 days are going to be mentally challenging as it is.
  • Thoth8
    Options
    Here, I found the link to the author's blog with this specific point:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/fasting-for-weight-loss/fasting-3-times-per-week/

"From a physiological point of view, there is nothing wrong with fasting 3 times per week for an otherwise healthy person." -Brad Pilon
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Here, I found the link to the author's blog with this specific point:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/fasting-for-weight-loss/fasting-3-times-per-week/

"From a physiological point of view, there is nothing wrong with fasting 3 times per week for an otherwise healthy person." -Brad Pilon

But I assume that this is not combined with a deficit on the other days (except the one 'free day').
  • pweaver25
    pweaver25 Posts: 18
    Options
    Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Why not stick with a reasonable caloric deficit? Also, you should look into the less extreme versions like 5:2 or ESE (Eat Stop Eat) if you want to incorporate fasting.

ditto - fat loss isnt a dash, its a marathon.