Attention all you awesome heavy lifting women! (and men)

Options
Hey everyone!

So I have been on my weight loss journey now for a while, at first I barely exercised at all (I did Curves), then I've just varied between some P90X at home, Zumba and Step classes, C25K and a few machines at the gym. In order to get more efficient results I recently met with a trainer at my gym who created two sets of exercises for me, one for upper body (arms, shoulders, back, chest) and one for lower body (legs and butt). I'm supposed to each of these at least twice a week (on non-consecutive days).

Now I'm wondering, because I'm reading about everyone's great successes with heavy lifting and I want to do it too! I think I need some advice. During the exercises where I use free weights, this is what I do:

Squats: holding one 10lb dumbbell in each hand (total of 20 lb) I try to make my behind touch the floor basically.
Chest press: 10 lb dumbbell in each hand
Shoulder press: 10 lb dumbbell in each hand
Bicep concentration curls: 20 lb dumbbell
Rows: 20 lb dumbbell

When I do machines, like lateral pulldowns or calf extensions my weights are often set higher, around 50 lb or so.

Basically my question is, I'm reading about all these women doing squats with 150lb+, and talking about lifting HEAVY. I'm thinking, just holding 20lb during squats is super tough for me and I'm crazy sore the next day. Same thing with 20lb chest and shoulder press.

Are you guys not using dumbbells or am I simply the weakest woman on the planet? Should I change my strategy or am I just going to have to work up my strength until I go from 20lb to 150. That feels like it could take a while, which I'm fine with I just want to know I'm doing it right.

My usual workout is I warm up walking on the treadmill at a brisk pace about 1 mile. Then I do about 45 minutes of either upper or lower body + abs. Then I do my C25K run/walk on the treadmil which is about 30 mins. I try to do this about 4 times/week. Is this a good strategy? I've always heard do cardio last but some really ripped women at my gym do their cardio first.

I think I'm just confused and any help or advice you guys can give me would be soooo appreciated!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You're not weak.

These women (myself included) all started lighter and worked our way up. It's called progressive loading. You increase your weights on a regular basis.

I started with the bar. Most people do. A standard Olympic bar is 45lbs. That may sound like a lot, but you a using your whole body to support the weight, so most people can lift that. If you can't, you start with dumbbells on your shoulders. With most heavy lifting programs, you're only doing 5 reps at a time. So, yes, I can squat 175lbs. But I'm only doing that for 5 sets of 5 reps (with rest in between).....I'm not doing 20 reps at a time.

Also, people who have achieved those type of weights are usually doing a program like Strong Lifts, Wendler, or Starting Strength. These programs are specifically designed to help people increase their strength and be able to lift more. That's the easiest way to lift heavy - use a heavy lifting program.
  • Bells89
    Bells89 Posts: 19
    Options
    Oh ok, thanks that's interesting. I just hold the dumbbells by my sides, with straight arms. I never had them on my shoulders, maybe I should try that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hold them straight down- hold one heavier one at your chest- or a medicine ball- hold them on your shoulders- hold them out front- hold them over head....

or you can hold them down- then when you squat lift them straight out to the front- then back down when you stand up... or squat and press..

no reason it has to be a straight "hold" :D
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    When we talk about squatting over 100 lbs, we're talking about a barbell squat, not involving dumbbells. The bar sits across our shoulders and we support the weight with our whole bodies, and not our hands. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJZdo9p5x_E
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It is super confusing at first.

First of all, how many reps and sets are you doing? Those weights might be difficult because you're doing high reps. If you lower that, you'll be able to lift more.

1. I use the barbell instead of dumbbells (just a personal preference; one isn't better than the other). I started squatting using the Smith machine so when I switched to using the barbell I started at 50 lbs (an Olympic barbell is 45 lbs, plus 2 2.5 plates). I've increased by 5 lbs each workout, sometimes stopping at a particular weight if I don't feel my form is right. I've gotten up to 130 lbs since April 25th.

2. Overhead press is HARD. There's no way to get around it easily. Start with whatever weight you can manage a low rep set with (I do 5x5) and the last rep should feel almost impossible.

3. Since I've mentioned 5x5, do you use a specific program? If not, I would suggest Stronglifts 5x5. There are other amazing programs out there, but SL is what I've been using and I love it. There's a group here for women doing that program.

4. As for cardio, you can do it either before or after you lift. There are arguments to both sides, but many people say that you should do what you want to improve the most, first. If you want to get better at cardio, do that first. If you want to get better at lifting, do that first. The argument is that you'll be able to give more energy to what's done first. You can mix it up, do cardio one day and lift the other-whatever you want. I personally don't think there's a right or wrong way.

If you start a program with free weights, I don't think you'll need to use machines anymore. It all depends on the results you're looking for.

You can message me and/or add me if you have more questions.

*I tried to be as nice as I can about machines and cardio. In all honesty, I (personally) don't think you'll need too much cardio or to use machines at all. That's just my opinion and you'll get different advice from different people. For me, I've gotten much faster results ditching the excessive cardio and staying away from machines. Again, it's up to you and the results you want!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ask the trainer to show you exercises with the bar if you want to really lift HEAVY. I don't think many women squatting 100+ pounds are doing it with dumbbells.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You're not weak.

These women (myself included) all started lighter and worked our way up. It's called progressive loading. You increase your weights on a regular basis.

I started with the bar. Most people do. A standard Olympic bar is 45lbs. That may sound like a lot, but you a using your whole body to support the weight, so most people can lift that. If you can't, you start with dumbbells on your shoulders. With most heavy lifting programs, you're only doing 5 reps at a time. So, yes, I can squat 175lbs. But I'm only doing that for 5 sets of 5 reps (with rest in between).....I'm not doing 20 reps at a time.

Also, people who have achieved those type of weights are usually doing a program like Strong Lifts, Wendler, or Starting Strength. These programs are specifically designed to help people increase their strength and be able to lift more. That's the easiest way to lift heavy - use a heavy lifting program.

I agree - heavy is relative to the person - it is all about progressive loading, like this poster said. Increase your weight at regular intervals and don't do sets of 20. If you are just a beginner, sets of 15 with the lower weights help to strengthen tendons and ligaments but as the weeks progress, lower the reps and increase the weights. In about 6 weeks, aim for sets of 5 or 8 with higher weights.

I started squats with just the bar too and now I can squat my entire body weight. I am looking to get to 1.8 times my body weight eventually (225 pounds). My deadlifts progess slower because i have grip strength issues...but it is still progressing, just slower.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    We all started light at first. Heavy is a relative term it's what's heavy to you. Once you get used to the weights you are using now you will move up. I t doesn't take long either. I went from squatting 52lbs to 125lbs. I would suggest you get a barbell and a rack if possible it will really help you go as heavy as you would like.
  • hdkerr
    hdkerr Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking out http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/programs.html
    They have free workout programs with videos to show you how to do each move. This will help you to increase your strength. New Rules of Lifting for Women and Starting Strength are also good programs.

ETA: I started strength training almost 6 months ago. In that time I've gone from ~bodyweight squats-140 lbs, bodyweight lunges-115 lbs, started deadlifting-205 lbs. We all start at the beginning :smile:
  • Bells89
    Bells89 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks everyone SO much, you really have given me some good ideas to think of and to try.

I have currently been doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps on instruction from the trainer. But then again I guess I didn't tell him specifically that I wanted to lift heavy, I just said I wanted to get strong, haha! I think I'm going to try to up my weights and do more sets of fewer reps.

I have been a little scared of the bar when doing squats, I have bad knees and for some reason that seemed harder on them. But honestly I think that's just another excuse, and hey, no better time than the present to get over myself and just do it!!

Again, thanks a bunch ladies! And I really trust your advice cause all of you look great in your profile pics.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Does your plan involve any progression? What's the plan there...how often are you supposed to increase the weight you are pushing and pulling? Strength training is a progressive exercise...to lift more, you start small...work your way up.

It will eventually get to the point where you will need to do your primary compound exercises with barbells...those women that are pushing up 100 Lbs + are using barbells, not dumbbells. Dumbbells are fine, but only take you so far in RE to your strength progression.
  • PrettyLilPixie
    Options
    Thank you for this!! Finally some advice that I can understand. :)
  • kellrell
    kellrell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been snooping on some of the heavy lifting threads, and just recently starting lifting and working out with my husband.
    And dont worry about the weights ur using now. I am lifting less than you and having difficulty. We will just work our way up.

I am so excited to be starting lifting heavy, There is so much information out there, I never even considered trying this before.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Most of us are using barbells. It's easier to move more weight with a barbell. Everyone is weak in the beginning, but you'll make quick strength gains during your first few months. I was able to add 5-10lbs to the bar every workout for a while.

Oh, and btw, the lat in lat pull downs refers to the muscle, not the plane of motion. Lat is short for latissimus dorsi.