New Trainer- Calorie goal seems scary to me?

Options
So on Thursday I will be starting with a new physical trainer. He wants me doing a small amount of something similar to hiit as well as anaerobic cardio. There will be (to start) 4 days per cycle. We discussed diet, and he expressed that he wants my calorie intake at 1600-1850. I know I am the first woman he has trained though- does this calorie value seem too high? (5'7 and ~150 pounds) Is it because our goals are inches lost/bf% lost, not pounds?

- note this calorie intake is not net calories. It is intake from food/drink before exercise.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem too high to me, considering your height with your workout regimen. I will usually need about 1500 a day with a moderate amount of exercise, and I'm quite a bit shorter at 5'1''.
  • Jasda
    Jasda Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you! It's reassuring to hear- I guess I just worry because I used to have serious calorie restriction issues and have avoided monitoring my intake since I've gotten better. I'll probably have to start eating more, in general.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    That is approx my calorie target range and I am aiming to lose weight. I would say for your stats that seems about right if you are going to be highly active.
  • Jasda
    Options
    Thanks! It's just.. a very new number for me, I suppose
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That doesn't seem too high to me. That's my range without or with minimal exercise and I'm 121 pounds and 5'4''. I've dropped down to 17% body fat.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That's not high for your size and activity level.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm 5'8" and 170 pounds and I'm eating 1900 calories a day to lose.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    So on Thursday I will be starting with a new physical trainer. He wants me doing a small amount of something similar to hiit as well as anaerobic cardio. There will be (to start) 4 days per cycle. We discussed diet, and he expressed that he wants my calorie intake at 1600-1850. I know I am the first woman he has trained though- does this calorie value seem too high? (5'7 and ~150 pounds) Is it because our goals are inches lost/bf% lost, not pounds?

- note this calorie intake is not net calories. It is intake from food/drink before exercise.

My gross calorie amount is 2000 a day (5'2", 125 pounds) - I weight train seriously for 4.5 hours per week. Don't panic - you have to fuel your body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    that's not high at all for your height/weight and all the exercise you'll be doing. Sounds like your trainer wants you to be able to lose fat, but do it in a healthy way and properly fuel your workouts...bravo for your trainer. My guess is, that with your height/weight and all of that activity and working out...I'd be willing to bet that your actual TDEE maintenance calories are around 2,300 - 2,500.

People really can eat way more than they think they can...I was astonished when I went to maintenance...thought it was going to be around 2400 calories...try again...more like 2700 - 2800 calories with my current workout regimen (which isn't really all that heavy a load).
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Not high at all.

Me:

5'7" 140lbs 19.5% BF

2300cals a day

Depending on your body compostition, that may not even be enough. I would stay in the upper end of that range.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet that your actual TDEE maintenance calories are around 2,300 - 2,500.

Yup exactly. I eat at maintenance at 2300
  • slimgoody05
    slimgoody05 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not high at all with your fitness goals. When I was losing fat, I was eating around 1500 calories a day, strength training 3 days a week and cardio 4 x a week and was able to lose the fat.

Now, I am working on gaining lean muscle and lowering my BF % and have been eating around 1900-2000 calories a day for the last 2 1/2 week. I was 112 when I started and have been hovering on 113-114. My goal is to add weight but not FAT. It is a complelety different mindset and I was a little afraid as well when I started to increase my calories. But your body needs fuel(good food) to help you make it through your workouts. If you keep it clean then you will not have a problem with dropping the unwanted fat. Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Sounds like a good starting point to me. You may find you even need to add bit more. HIIT is a real calorie burner!
  • Jasda
    Options
    Thank all of you so much! I'm super excited. I haven't trained properly since before an accident I got in about 2 years ago and I'm pumped to be back in the gym