Puzzled about losing inches but not weight

Options
traceyjj
traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
Something has been puzzling me for a while, and apologies if this is a silly question!

I REALLY struggle to lose weight, I'm lucky if I can lose 1lb a month these days, even though I am still about 30lb or more from my goal weight, but my body is changing shape reasonably quickly so I know something is happening.

I've read here that you cant build muscle on a calorie deficit, so I cant be building muscle... so if I'm losing inches but not weight, where is my body disappearing, and why is it not weighing less?

I'm not too focused on the number on the scale as I only weigh in every 3 weeks, but I'm puzzled that I am losing more than an inch each week, but as the number on the scale doesnt budge, what am I losing?

Many thanks in indulging my curiosity :)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    bodyfat doesn't weigh very much so you can lose enough volume to lose inches while any retained water weight makes up the difference in the scale.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    thanks for taking the time to read/reply :)

So does this mean I am doing it right, and losing body fat rather than LBM?

I'm having my first PT session at the gym next week and I have asked if we can do a full weigh/measure/bodyfat assessment before I start so I can track my progress better.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes it sounds like you're doing it right :)

loss of inches = loss of fat, regardless of what the scale says. If you've recently started an exercise programme, your muscles will probably be retaining water (and this is a good thing btw). track inches and how your clothes fit, because that's what's important. Aim for fat loss rather than weight loss.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I've been the same....I've stayed the same but have got smaller by body measurements.
  • traceyjj
    Options
    Thanks.
    Its all, its nice to know that I am on the right track, and its also nice to know that others are going through the same thing :)
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    Same here. I am not losing any pounds at all but my clothes are starting to fit better and I notice a slight difference in the shape of my legs. I'd love to lose the actual pounds, too, but I'm content with looking better at this weight.
  • krissyboothang
    krissyboothang Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am also having this same problem. Beginning of May i decided to seriously get healthier. I started by juice fasting and i lost 3 pounds in one week, than nothing. After doing more research i am doing the tried and true approach, eat better and exercise. I downloaded MFP and got to work..Since then I have only lost two extra pounds and 4 inches.. Its sorta depressing i would love to speed things up but i do not know how??
  • BullBlanco27
    Options
    You're doing it right. My wife is having the same struggle, and she is getting frustrated because she puts in an hour to 90 minutes working out,(Zumba, walking, biking) and we are eating well, I am losing, and she is not, however, she goes to the doctor once a week to get weighed in, and they measure her body fat, and just like I suspected, Everytime she is down 1 or 2% body fat, and the tape measure gives her a smaller reading. Her clothes fit better, she is getting her curves back, and she can do much more, and I am trying to get her to focus on those things. See what the tape measure, and calipers tell you, and also make sure you are taking in plenty of water, it seems counter intuitive but if you hydrate well, you'll retain less water, and, fat gets flushed out of the cells that way.
  • BullBlanco27
    Options
    You're doing it right. My wife is having the same struggle, and she is getting frustrated because she puts in an hour to 90 minutes working out,(Zumba, walking, biking) and we are eating well, I am losing, and she is not, however, she goes to the doctor once a week to get weighed in, and they measure her body fat, and just like I suspected, Everytime she is down 1 or 2% body fat, and the tape measure gives her a smaller reading. Her clothes fit better, she is getting her curves back, and she can do much more, and I am trying to get her to focus on those things. See what the tape measure, and calipers tell you, and also make sure you are taking in plenty of water, it seems counter intuitive but if you hydrate well, you'll retain less water, and, fat gets flushed out of the cells that way.