Moore, Oklahoma Tordao

Options
kcaffee1
kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
Yesterday, Moore, Oklahoma was essentially wiped off the map. I don't live in that area have family (who survived) with their friends (Some of whom we do not yet know if they survived) who DO live in that area. Please keep the people from that area in your thoughts and prayers.

The tornado was classed as an F5 when it hit the city. It left a mile-wide path of destruction including 2 elementary schools (flattened) that were in session, 1 high school (severely damaged while in session) and their medical center (severely damaged). This is along with all of the houses and businesses that were flattened.

According to the news before I turned in for bed last night, there were 51 confirmed dead. I did not get a number of injured, but you can imagine what that count will be.

Again, please keep the people here in your thoughts and prayers. They have rebuilt once from an F5, but this time is worse because of the schools full of children.

Replies

• mbdiary
    mbdiary Posts: 9
    Options
    Our family's prayers are reaching out to you all. Oklahoma really helped out this year here in New Jersey with our damage from Hurricane Sandy and we are returning the favor!
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    the count is down to 24, which is good. things were doubled up on in all the chaos last night. it doesn't make it much better though. :( the red cross is taking donations... if you don't have money or anything to spare but can donate blood, give it a shot. even the smallest things help.
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is such a tragedy. We have 3 elementary aged children. I can't imagine what they are going though. We've been lifting them up in prayer as well!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    SO incredibly sad and awful. I cried after hearing about the kids who drowned in the basement at their school. I just couldn't even begin to imagine the pain of the parents and families. My prayers go out to all of them.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    the count is down to 24, which is good. things were doubled up on in all the chaos last night. it doesn't make it much better though. :( the red cross is taking donations... if you don't have money or anything to spare but can donate blood, give it a shot. even the smallest things help.

Glad to hear that the count is down. Here's hoping everyone can be found and accounted for with no more lives lost.
  • Alarista
    Alarista Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yeah, can't believe it took the elementary school and the hospital. Watch the Red Cross though, when they teamed up with FEMA during Katrina lots of people were scamming them. There are lots of local people like the http://www.regionalfoodbank.org/ Oklahoma Regional Foodbank, and things like that.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Very sad indeed. To think that some of these parents lost everything they owned. Cars, house, pictures, everything in their house and then to find out their child parrished too. I can not even fantom how this must feel. Total loss, gut wrenching, fall to your knee's and stop living is how I would picture myself in that situation. (to lose a child and then have it dawn on you, you lost all pictures of that child too. wow. My prayers are with everyone effected by this divestation.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    It is very sad. It is said the tornado was like a mile wide. They classified it at first as am F4 but raises it to F5. I couldn't imagine losing a child.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Media cover of disaster in Australia. Our thoughts and prayers to the community.