Vegetarian and Sugars

Options
This is my first time posting so I feel a bit silly.

I am a vegetarian and have been for the last six and a half years. My diet consists mainly of fruits and veggies and protein replacements and carbs. I started logging my diet about a week ago and have noticed that everyday I go over on sugars by a significant amount. Almost all of these sugars are coming from the fruits and veggies. I'm trying to lower them but I'm finding it hard because I'm not sure what else to eat. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I love fresh fruits and vegetables and it's breaking my heart trying to limit my intake of them so I can lower my sugars.

Replies

• klappeh
    klappeh Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too. I wouldn't worry about fruit sugars. Fruits contain fiber which keep your blood sugar from spiking..which has something to do with insulin (Im no doctor:)). Doing a quick google search on the subject would help you learn more about it also. Good luck and keep eating fruit!
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian too.

All my sugars come from either greek yogurt or fruit.

I do limit my fruit intake to only 1 serving a day, and it's low sugar fruits such as berries. I stay away oranges, apples and bananas, I've done stayed away from those fruits for a week and half now and I've been losing weight just fine.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus on lower sugar fruit, like berries?
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    most people who eat a lot of fruit go over on their sugars. I wouldn't worry about it. Apples never made anyone fat. Just eat well and exercise, don't obsess about the small stuff
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific reason to worry about sugar from fruit, I wouldn't! I do, so I've drastically cut the amount of fruit I eat, but that's no fun if you love fruit and don't need to do it.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm a mostly raw vegan, and I always go over my sugar number. I wouldn't worry about going over if it's coming from fruits and veggies. I do try and limit things like dates and raisins unless I'm working out a lot and need the added sugars they provide. I agree with the other poster - good luck and keep eating fruit!
  • claudiacmarsh
    Options
    Thank you. I'll eat an apple to that.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    unless the sugars are coming from processed snacks I don't worry about it too much.
  • sparkles9779
    sparkles9779 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian and go over my sugar, however I am still losing( i do have pcos so its slow for me), but I do enjoy my fruit I am just trying to limit fruit to 3 a day..