Giving up SUGAR!!

Options
Hello Everyone- I need some ideas and encouragement. I gave up sugar as of yesterday. I am a cookies, cake candy type of person and love it. I think about it all the time and needed to end the cycle. I eat very clean workout all the time but can't seem to get those extra few lbs off. Does anyone have any recommendation on alternatives to make/ eat when you have a sweet tooth? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Did you give up all sugar, or just added sugar? Fruit has quite a bit of naturally occurring sugar, which is why I'm wondering how far you're going with it (since you just mentioned giving up cookies and candy).
  • fisherman11
    fisherman11 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just don't eat it. After about 3 days of not eating sweet things you will find you don't actually want them anymore.
    I had a terrible sweet tooth and would eat cakes, chocolate, sweets every day.
    Last week while waiting for my other half in a cafe there were 4 home made cakes sitting on the counter and yes I did consider them but only for a moment, two cups of tea later and I realised I hadn't given them another thought.
    Before February this year I would have had a slice of cake with each cup of tea.
    The Weightwatchers cake bars are good if you really want something, only small but not too sweet and just enough. Rice cakes with plain chocolate on are only 80 cals and also satisfying.
    :heart:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are you talking mains or desserts?
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Options
    I do not plan on giving up all sugar just desserts. Sorry for the confusion. I will still eat fruit which i know has a lot of natural sugar.
  • michele_elizabeth11
    Options
    Read up on the "21 Day Sugar Detox" - its a really good resource for giving up sugar/desserts. If you do have constant cravings for sweets, it might be worth it just to try detoxing from ALL sugars for a little while. I did this for about 14 days before I caved - but it did help with weight (fat) loss.

Green tipped (not entirely ripe/sweet) bananas and granny smith apples are the recommended fruit choices on the 21 Day Sugar Detox.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I do not plan on giving up all sugar just desserts. Sorry for the confusion. I will still eat fruit which i know has a lot of natural sugar.
    Well then, I think that's excellent! I actually have to watch my fruit intake as well because I have problems with my sugar level, but I still think they're really beneficial, and a good way to satisfy your sweet tooth without the added sugar.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth, especially after dinners, because I grew up always having dessert after lunch and dinner. Well I've had to really cut down on desserts (I haven't cut them out entirely). I keep a ton of fresh ripe fruit (bosc/bartlett pears, kiwi, strawberries, tangelos, and mango for example) in my house and make fruit plates every day...like big fruit plates. I'm not going to say that I don't crave real desserts anymore but I actually crave fruit a lot of the time now too. (I've been doing this for about 3 months.) If I crave sweets at work, I'll munch on a little Chocolove dark chocolate square (Cherries and Almond, Coffee Crunch, or Crystallized Ginger) and log it right then.
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it. After about 3 days of not eating sweet things you will find you don't actually want them anymore.
    I had a terrible sweet tooth and would eat cakes, chocolate, sweets every day.

No way no how does this work for me. Total abstinence sets me up for failure big time, but I've seen people it works for too.