Sick from Juicing

I am posting for my mom who started juicing yesterday. Not sure exactly what the plan she is on is called but she does only juice for like a week. Yesterday after 2 juices she got very sick to her stomach. Terrible nausea, stomache ache and even vomiting along with a VERY bad headache. I am concerned for her and feel like she started too extreme and maybe should have just done a couple of juices along with some acutal food for at least the first time. Has anyone else experienced this? It is dibilitating enough that she is unable to go to work due to vomiting and headache. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. She is now thinking that she may have the flu and that it isn't from the juicing but since she has thrown up all of the juice and is now dry heaving I am making her eat some soup for lunch.

Replies

• sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    She shouldn't be experiencing any detox symptoms from only 2 juices. Is there any chance some of the fruit/vegetables were contaminated or bad? A reaction that quick sounds more like food poisoning or a GI issue rather than something related to juicing. I assume she's a bit older; did she talk to her Dr about doing this? If there are any underlying medical conditions especially, she should talk to them first. Good luck to her!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Food poisoning is my first thought. Definitely time to call a doctor
  • sgtlee13
    In the mean time, give her some warm tea with ginger, cinnamon and honey to help her belly :)
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    I am posting for my mom who started juicing yesterday. Not sure exactly what the plan she is on is called but she does only juice for like a week. Yesterday after 2 juices she got very sick to her stomach. Terrible nausea, stomache ache and even vomiting along with a VERY bad headache. I am concerned for her and feel like she started too extreme and maybe should have just done a couple of juices along with some acutal food for at least the first time. Has anyone else experienced this? It is dibilitating enough that she is unable to go to work due to vomiting and headache. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. She is now thinking that she may have the flu and that it isn't from the juicing but since she has thrown up all of the juice and is now dry heaving I am making her eat some soup for lunch.

I guess I feel really strongly negative about fad diets as they just really don't work for long term success. How about encouraging mom to lose weight and gain health through counting calories, eating nutritiously, and engaging in regular physical activity. There is no such thing as a magic bullet to losing weight: It is a journey that is as much about losing weight as it is about self discovery. I've got a distance to go but I'm enjoying every day along this journey. Every day holds something new to be learned, tried, and discovered. For example, yesterday I did Yoga for the first time.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    I agree with the other posters. 2 juices isn't enough for her to go into detox and I'm not sure even detox would make her that sick. She may not have washed her fruits/ veggies well and may have picked up some salmonella or something. There's also a pretty severe stomach flu going around the country right now. I'd call the doctor and let him / her do the diagnosing.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    I thought people injected juice these days...
  • sgtlee13

I guess I feel really strongly negative about fad diets as they just really don't work for long term success. How about encouraging mom to lose weight and gain health through counting calories, eating nutritiously, and engaging in regular physical activity. There is no such thing as a magic bullet to losing weight: It is a journey that is as much about losing weight as it is about self discovery. I've got a distance to go but I'm enjoying every day along this journey. Every day holds something new to be learned, tried, and discovered. For example, yesterday I did Yoga for the first time.

For many people, juicing isn't a diet; fad or otherwise. I don't see where the initial post stated what her reasons are for juicing in the first place so can't be sure.
    I agree, fad diets suck, plain and simple. If something worked so easily as most fad diets claim, no one would be fat.
    However, there is so much more to juicing than just losing weight; that isn't even the biggest reason I started doing it (thought I do have too much junk in my trunk). There is so much crap, chemicals, engineered and processed ingredients, etc in our foods that I initially switched to a lot of raw then added juicing on a part time basis and this reason (at least for me) is only a part of it.
  • Lauraleeburgess
    Lauraleeburgess Posts: 13 Member
    I certainly don't see juicing as a fad diet. It is a lifestyle change on a road to health. Hardly anybody gets as many fruits and veggies in their diet from eating. Juicing is a the best way to good health. Mom is trying to do something great for her health. I think she should certainly be encouraged for taking steps.
    "Hungry for Change" and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" Are two very encouraging movies for a healthy change.
  • Shaylaurkoski
    Shaylaurkoski Posts: 16 Member
    My mom is doing it for several reasons including weith loss and health. My aunt is now a clean eater and my mom was intrigued by it as she is feeling a lot better and has lost weight as well. She wanted to do it to cleanse her body and prepare for clean eating. She is reading the book 7 lbs. in 7 days by Jason Vale and read the entire book before starting the juicing as per his instructions. She had read great reveiws on the book but is now second guessing it. My mom is not severely over weight and probably only needs to lose 10-15 lbs to be at a healthy weight. She just wants to FEEL good! My aunt has struggled for years with a thyroid issue and has finally found a doctor who has ran the correct test and gotten her properly diagnosed. Eating is part of her thyroid control and she feels that my mom may have the same condition. She is going to the doctor on Tuesday to try to get some answers for that. I advised her to go lightly on the juicing for now if she wishes to continue doing it but to still make sure she is eating some actual food. I told her to maybe get a fruit/vegetable washer (read somewher that you can buy these) to make sure that she is getting her foods clean. Thank you everyone for your coments and advice. I think that the food being contaminated makes sense. She said she would really like to continue juicing after she starts feeling better and maybe try it with food as well and see how she feels then.
  • sgtlee13
    It may be better for her to transition into juicing slowly to avoid such a shock to her system. Not sure what her diet is currently but have her eliminate things such as dairy and other animal products first for a few days while increasing her fruit and veggie intake and drink LOTS of water especially while she makes the change, it's crucial to flush out all the toxins and stuff her body will be purging.

I haven't heard of the book you're talking about but sounds like it's more geared to weight-loss only instead of healthy eating?

The latest craze is the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" which basically just chronicles some guy juicing for an extended period of time. I like "Forks over Knives" better which goes into "clean" eating more comprehensively. It focuses on much more than just dropping pounds. There are also lots of books out there (of course) some of the better ones I've found are Dr Andrew Weil and Dr Colin Campbell. There's a bunch more out there but seem to be more commercialized I think.

Also, there's really no need to buy a produce washer. I use a solution I made to clean everything, even organic...you know what they use to help grow organic :) I found a link online with the measurements since I usually just make mine however.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Organic-Fruit-and-Vegetable-Wash
    You can buy it premade in a store but it's much more expensive.

I hope your Mom's feeling better and good luck to her (and her sister)! It's good she has you helping her :)