10k by October - is this realistic?

Options
A friend of mine who runs marathons has very kindly invited me to do a 10k with her in October. I really want to do it, and I don't want to let her down since she will be essentially sacrificing her race time to run with me.

Is it realistic for me to be ready for a 10k by then? Not bothered about a good time, since this is my first race, but want to run all the way.

For background, I'm 26, in good health, but about 50lbs overweight. I did couch to 5k last autumn and didn't have to repeat any weeks, but I was very slow and wasn't doing the full 5k in the half hour they allocate. I've really slacked off since then and only run on-and-off and will probably have to start over.

Can I do this?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's completely realistic. You have more than enough time to train.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you the most important thing about running: It is ALL mental. If you think you can, you probably can.

That said, start off slow and just build up. The distance is more of a mental block than anything else. Start walking regularly, building up to running portions of your walks (i.e. start walking 1-2 miles a day, add more distance and start running portions of it like walk 1/2 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile... etc). This is extremely doable.

Also, I would suggest you train OUTSIDE and not just on a treadmill. I say this because the force from the ground (pavement) is much more outside than on a cushy, bouncy machine. It'll help make the transition easier for your race.

Have fun!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to hear.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    yes... there are books that teach you how to run a marathon in 4 months.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Way more time than needed, just remember don't go out and just start running 10K a day to prepare, that will likely result in shin splints and other injuries. Make sure you take on a full running program to prepare. It should include long runs, short runs, runs with sprints mixed in and rest days. As mdn15 said there are books dedicated to this subject, you can actually get most of it for free off the internet.

Best of luck!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I started training in September and ran my first 10K in January. That was with a lot of "off" weeks. You definitely have enough time! If you are just getting back into it, start slow! It will build faster than you think :) I took 3 years off from running, but my muscles seemed to remember when I started running again.

You've got this! I also agree with not using a treadmill for all of your training. Do as much as you can outside, but vary your terrain. This will definitely help if your knees get a little achy.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes it's is totally realistic. I started from zero (i couldn't run 100yards) last October and did my first 10k on January 20th. As the other posters have said, Just build up slowly.
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes totally realistic get yourself some good trainers and get started you will be p to 10k by the end of August no problem.
  • JaimeCST
    JaimeCST Posts: 118
    Options
    Yes! Get the C210K app on your phone and just take it slowly. You will be there in time. I went from barely being able to run 1 minute to consistently running 3-4 miles in 2 months and plan on moving up to the 10k after I complete my race on June 1st. Just keep at it and you will do great!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I think so and I hope so because I am doing a 10k this year in AUG which is famous for it's hills. eek. I have only raced 5k's and 1 4miler so this is my first. I am planning on doing ok. It sounds like you have enough time.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    um yes.. thats a crazy amount of time.. go run.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That's a very achievable goal! When I did my first 10K, I had only been running on a regular basis for a few months. And I was slow... very slow. When I signed up, the furthest distance I ran was 3.1 miles!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Of course. Do the C25K and then do the 10K version, but do it with gusto.

Honey, at 26 and in good health, and with several months to train, there's no excuse why you can't do this-and finish well...hell, I'm 58 and just did my first 5K Mud Run...check it out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/992718-58-year-old-goddess-completes-1st-5k-mud-run
  • kimjmay
    kimjmay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Make sure your rest days are as important as your training days! You will avoid troublesome injuries if you let your body rest and heal like it is designed to.
    Good luck!! You can do it!
  • ChrissyLpwe
    ChrissyLpwe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes go fot it ...believe in yourself!!!!
  • axfisher83
    axfisher83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have also been training for a 10K and found a lot of success simply Googling "10K Training in (insert legth of time) Weeks". You'll find a decent assortment of training schedules and I guarantee one will fit your timeline and your current abilities!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes. It should be plenty of time. Check out stuff like Hal Higdon's 10k training routine if you want a guided plan. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

There's more than enough time to repeat weeks in that routine.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Easy....get an app.

No one says you have to run all of it.
  • laurafbo
    laurafbo Posts: 3
    Options
    Absolutely.
    Check out the Couch-to-5K plan.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • annab1684
    annab1684 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I started couch to 5k at the beginning of Feb and I found it difficult on the whole and I did repeat some days or skip to the next one without having truly completed the one before - overall I definitely ran more days than the program does though!

Anyway, I then faffed around for a bit (2-3 weeks) before focusing a bit more. I think you can definitely do it if you've already run before. I'm hoping to be at 10K by the end of June as a limit but possibly quite a bit sooner. I have kind of started the couch to 10K programme but am dipping in and out of it a bit as I can already run for more TIME than the week I'm kind of on, but I really, really struggle with the ones where you have to run fast, so I'm trying to work on distance and speed in my own way... we'll see! Anyway, that would be 4-5 months from scratch with some faffing about and also being VERY poor at the whole running thing. As in, I certainly do not run at a 'conversational pace' even when I'm going slow - most of the time I'm still too out of breath to talk!