PCOS looking for supporters!

Options
2»

Replies

• CalamityJen80
    CalamityJen80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jennie. I had PCOS symptoms for 17 years before being diagnosed 2 years ago by an amazing OBGYN. I began taking oral birth control, Metformin, and spironolactone at that time and have since lost 75 pounds. Part of it was the medication--I lost 20 pounds in a month and a half before making any major lifestyle changes. I do not think I could have accomplished the additional weight loss without the jumpstart the medication gave me--it was just the motivation I needed. The lifestyle changes I made included an intense strength-training regimen 3-4 times a week and swimming or using an elliptical machine for 30-90 minutes 2-3 times a week. I did this for about 6 months and lost 30 more pounds. Then, life and injuries and illnesses got in the way and I greatly reduced my gym time. However, when I began to exercise, I found myself craving healthy, energy-providing food, so I had made diet changes that helped me to lose an additional 25 pounds even though I was unable to exercise as much. Mainly: a MASSIVE increase in fruits, vegetables, and non-processed meat--I eat as much of them as I want, when I want. I added nuts, beans, and legumes more prominently--they're not just a once-in-a-while snack, they're a needed part of my diet. I greatly reduced soda intake from once a day to maybe a couple times a week. I eat fewer carbs over all and pay LOTS of attention to nutrients like fiber, B vitamins, iron, and potassium. The most important things I've done in this process were strength-training, increasing fruits, vegetables, and lean meat, and stepping on the scale EVERY morning and every night. It's been two years and I have not gained any weight back. However, I joined MFP because I noticed I was doing a great job maintaining but not so much with losing any more weight, and my diet has started to slip considerably in the past couple months. Very few people lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off for good, but I am determined not to be a statistic! Feel free to add me as a friend for support, and good luck!!!
  • 02sassy4u
    02sassy4u Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi my name is Kiera. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1999 and it has been an uphill battle for me. I'm happy to see other cysters here that understands my struggle. Feel free to add me.
  • sjackson0711
    Options
    Lots of amazing stories!! It is a hard thing to deal with I know! Any of you who would like to be friends and help support eachother or give some helpful advice feel free! Good luck to you all!