Couch to 5K

Options
I know there is probably a official post on the Couch to 5K program on here but I can't find it. Anyways I wanted to share that I finished week 1 today and I ran the entire program without giving up! I started on Monday and couldn't make past the halfway point and by the halfway point I was dying! Then Wednesday I made two intervals after the halfway point but TODAY my goal was to make it all the way through without giving up and I DID IT! I'm kind of in shock because I have NEVER EVER been a runner. So this is just amazing to me that I could do this week and finish it!

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I was you a few years ago...I had never run before and I took it up at 44 years old. I started with the C25K program.

<---- Just a few weeks ago, I finished my first half marathon. :drinker:

Good for you...and keep at it!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! C25K is the BEST program! It made a runner of me too! Keep at it!!! :bigsmile:
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was never a runner either, but am on week 8 of C25K. It is challenging, but doable. DONT GIVE UP! When I ran 2 miles, I cried. It's so empowering! I am so excited for you. You will amaze yourself!!
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 5 Day 3 (Sat) and I know exactly how good you feel each time you successfully complete a day. Keep at it even when it gets tough because you will be able to do it. I have to do my first 20 min jog Sat and I am working on psyching myself up now :) It's intimidating but with support of those who are also doing it I am gaining confidence.
  • coccolino30
    coccolino30 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well done! I am in week 7 day 2 and I can run now for 25 min. I was never a runner and I started just like you. It is very rewarding so keep going.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I just finished c25k a few weeks ago and now I am working on a 10k training program. Trust me..you will surprise yourself every week. each week the workouts will look tough and you will wonder how you will ever get through it and you will surprise yourself. The program is built to make you able to do it. Don't ever skip the walk breaks, those are what makes you able to do the next workouts! Any my best tip....smile! I promise it makes the workouts easier!
  • kimbelder
    kimbelder Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just began Couch to 5K this morning! I sure have a long way to go but the app I downloaded really helped and I have a lot of determination to see this through. Good to hear from all that have completed it and already on to bigger goals!
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

There's a group for couch to 5k with lots of helpful posts.
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this! I'm scared though...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I know there is probably a official post on the Couch to 5K program on here but I can't find it. Anyways I wanted to share that I finished week 1 today and I ran the entire program without giving up! I started on Monday and couldn't make past the halfway point and by the halfway point I was dying! Then Wednesday I made two intervals after the halfway point but TODAY my goal was to make it all the way through without giving up and I DID IT! I'm kind of in shock because I have NEVER EVER been a runner. So this is just amazing to me that I could do this week and finish it!

tumblr_inline_mi1743mPJB1qz4rgp.gif

Congrats, you have taken the first step. I too was not a runner and still am not but I am doing C25k also, on my third week of week 2, it is slow progress but We Will Not Give up.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 3 here! I'm so excited to keep on going!
  • Frankie3333
    Frankie3333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did that last year and ended up running 4 5ks in one summer. Right now I am dealing with plantar fascitis on my left foot which caused me to stop my running routine. Hoping to start back up in mid-June for a 5k in mid-August!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU :)
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have just found C25K and sadly am not yet fit enough to do it - yes I do mean run for 90 seconds.

I am however doing the weekly park run (at soldiers pace just got my run up to 30seconds) so bit by bit, I hope to get there.

Looking forward to being able to start the programme properly and RUN a 5K.

I inspires me when I hear of others who start slowly and achieve the 5K, so thanks for the thread.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think the first week is the hardest. You did it!
  • Wjolaughlin
    Wjolaughlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I will start week 6 tomorrow! It is so empowering! I've never been a runner but am loving this program! Could not believe I actually ran for 20 minutes without stopping yesterday! In the beginning I could not finish 90 seconds!
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! It feels good, doesn't it? I just finished C25K, and am now doing a 10k version. Trust me - the hardest part is the first few weeks. It's very empowering!!
  • ColumnHugger
    ColumnHugger Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I'm having really bad knee pain right now. I tried running week 2 day 2 on monday and didn't make it through because of my knee pain. I bought some knee braces and some new shoes today and still no go. I know I probably shouldn't have tried to run today because my knees were bothering me but I thought it was getting to the point where I was using my hip and knee pain as an excuse not to do it and I didn't want to get stuck in that mind set. So I went and tried it. I made it through three intervals because I was in tears so I'm now home icing my knees.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I'm having really bad knee pain right now. I tried running week 2 day 2 on monday and didn't make it through because of my knee pain. I bought some knee braces and some new shoes today and still no go. I know I probably shouldn't have tried to run today because my knees were bothering me but I thought it was getting to the point where I was using my hip and knee pain as an excuse not to do it and I didn't want to get stuck in that mind set. So I went and tried it. I made it through three intervals because I was in tears so I'm now home icing my knees.
    Many people new to running suffer from knee problems about three weeks into the program, if they don't take it as slow as possible. You need to rest that knee and give your muscles & ligaments a chance to strengthen around it. If you force it the knee will take longer to recover. Give it about 3 weeks, or until there's completely no pain anymore. In the mean time you can use the bike or the elliptical to increase your endurance.