Losing weight to have a baby

Options
I am currently a 240lb female. My goal is to lose weight ( around 90 lbs ) before getting pregnant. Has anyone done this? How long after losing weight did you get pregnant? Did you maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy? Exercise? What happened with your extra skin from weight loss, then gain, then weight loss after having baby? Thanks for responses!

Replies

• justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, as I am trying to lose weight before pregnancy as well. But if you want ,we can support each other. I have 20 lbs to lose.
  • baybeecakes08
    baybeecakes08 Posts: 107
    Options
    before i got pregnant with my 3rd i lost just shy of 50lbs. we got pregnant the first month of trying.. when we were trying for our second i was over weight by about 40lbs and it took us 7 months before i got pregnant with my daughter
  • aspmg5
    aspmg5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I am losing weight! I want to be able to have a home birth when my partner and I try for a baby after I graduate from college. I would like to lose about 50 lbs.
  • Abrewington87
    Options
    This is also a big reason for me :) So just like everyone else I would love to be there for support
  • sammiesmama73
    sammiesmama73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I had my daughter ( she is now 2 ) I lost about 60 lbs prior to getting pregnant. I lost the weight only by limiting my calories not exercising. We had only been trying about 2 months an got pregnant right away. After having her I gained all the weight back and more, tried for about a year and didn't get pregnant even though I was doing the ovulation tests it just didnt happen. By then I was 324 lbs and decided to lose the weight to see if that would help me get pregnant. Well, I have lost 84 lbs now with diet and LOTS of exercise only now I think the exercise has effected my ovulation cycles because the tests are not showing ovulation and my cycles are very short. I have decided to continue to lose the weight and once I get to my goal I will cut back on the exercise to see if my cycles regulate back to normal.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You girls are certainly doing it the Healthy way!! Lose the extra weight first. What a great reason to work hard at it!
    Then be careful not to gain too much during your pregnancy.

If you don't lose weight first, you can have sooo many problems. Gestational diabetes for one.

If you are young, don't worry about the skin at this point. Lose the body fat you need to, then have your babies. If you keep your weight down during pregnancy and lose the extra after, some of the skin will shrink back because you still have elasticity in your skin. If it just won't go away afterward with diet and exercise, save for a tummy tuck if it bothers you that much.
  • klnor88
    klnor88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I'm also trying to lose weight before getting pregnant.
  • gonzal15
    gonzal15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My sister lost 50 pounds before having her 4th baby. She did maintain good weight until about the 5th month. She had her baby 3 months ago and has lost half of the babyweight which was part of the original weight she lost. If you set your mind to it, you can do it, and it will happen!
  • goalie234
    goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey im in the same boat .. Trying to lose weight to get pregnant .. Have no medical issues .. Just not happening though :( so trying to lose 25 pounds to get to my ideal wight of 155 lb .. :) just started the process if losing weight ..
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I am currently a 240lb female. My goal is to lose weight ( around 90 lbs ) before getting pregnant. Has anyone done this? How long after losing weight did you get pregnant? Did you maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy? Exercise? What happened with your extra skin from weight loss, then gain, then weight loss after having baby? Thanks for responses!

I'm trying to lose weight to have a baby too. Then I want to eat healthy and track during the pregnancy. I had issues last time ( c-section and polyhydramnios) and was overweight, so I think if I get healthy and start exercising really hard I will be able to have a healthy pregnancy and birth.
  • rmcminn89
    rmcminn89 Posts: 37
    Options
    we have similar goals! I started at 237 and would like to lose 80 pounds before getting pregnant :)
  • jeninthed
    jeninthed Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is also one of my goals! I am interested in hearing what you all have to say.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I lost weight in anticipation of my first pregnancy. I switched from regular soda to diet soda and used the south beach diet adding breakfast to my day. I lost 17 lbs in 3-4 months and got pregnant right away. I only gained 18 lbs during my pregnancy (using small weights at home until my 7th month). Good luck.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    With my second pregnancy I started at around 240 or 250 lbs (having irregular periods due to weight/pcos), lost down to around 200 and got pregnant. I have to say my first pregnancy was so much easier on my body because I was around 160 lbs and only gained 25 lbs. The second one I was heavier, gained a lot more weight, and I felt terrible almost like I was walking through water. If I were ever to decide to get pregnant again I would definitely choose to be smaller because I felt so much better.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant with my third. I lost 70lbs after my 2nd, she was born May 2011. I'd put on a lot with her, but hasn't started my 2nd pregnancy as small as I had my first, and my son was only 13 months when I got pregnant the 2nd time. I've started this 3rd pregnancy smaller than I was when I was pregnant with my 1st.

I'm not sure how much weight I've gained, but I've continued logging on MFP, and I've still been exercising 4-5 times a week.