Veggies and Dip

Options
faithnna
faithnna Posts: 42
Fresh cut veggies & kraft ranch dip is my DOWNFALL. I use the lowfat sour cream but it's still not the best for you as I'm sure you all know. I'm losing steam on eating vegetables unless they are in a salad and I'd like to incorporate them back into my meals.

So what are your favorite things to dip your veggies in?

Replies

• amandanndel
    amandanndel Posts: 47
    Options
    You could switch the sour cream to lowfat greek yogurt. I've been subbing greek yogurt for everything. :smile:
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hummus with my veggies.
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Fatfree Italian dressing
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hummus with my veggies.

I will second this.
  • RobinSchneid
    Options
    Tzatziki sauce (a Greek yogurt cucumber sauce) is a great dip and pretty low cal too. Also hummus is a high protein low cal choice.
  • JudithEssex
    JudithEssex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hummus is q very good option for me.
    I also do a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of non fat Greek yogurt and non fat cottage cheese, which I blend with my immersion blender until it is a very smooth consistency. this is the basis of a creamy topping or dip - you need to add whatever flavor you prefer...it is a bit tart, but bland. However, this excellent as a sub for sour cream.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Salsa mostly. Occasionally I go for guacamole, but have to watch how much (at least it's a healthy fat....). My absolute fave would e taramasalata, but that stuff is like the devil concentrated so I never end up finishing a tub.....
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    black bean hummus is amazing
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Im not sure how many cals is in the ranch mix packets, but what if you got plain non-fat greek yogurt? 1 cup is 130 cals and you probably eat 1/8 cup or less at a time w/ veggies, right? that's only 16.25 cals from the yogurt plus whatever from the ranch spice mix.

Hummus is good but it's 50 cals for 2 Tbsp I think, which adds up quicker than you think becuase it is so good! I tend to use more hummus than other dips, so I have to be careful with that one. I just use a low cal dip/dressing and try to put just enough on to taste it but not a whole glob on each veggie, if that makes sense. So I still get the taste of the dip, but it keeps the cals down.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with onion powder, or add a little hot sauce sprinkle of salt
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt dill dip. They sell it at the grocery store.

The way I've been eating my veggies lately and loving it is putting them in a crustless quiche. I sauté about two to three cups of veggies such as mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, & broccoli in olive oil spray, and put them in the bottom of a pie pan. Then in a blender I put 4 eggs, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup feta, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 tbsp of ev olive oil and blend well. Then I add 1 cup of fresh spinach and a few fresh basil leaves and pulse gently so I don't have a green soup. I add this on top of the veggies and bake at 325 for 45 minutes or until set. Sometimes I add Swiss or mozzarella (even bacon or sausage) on top of the veggies. I eat 1/4 of the quiche pie and my last one with cheese came in under about 300 calories for a serving. And it keeps me full for a good 3 or 4 hours!