Why is it so hard for people to believe?

Options
laele75
laele75 Posts: 283 Member
Every time I tell people or confirm I have nearly 30 lbs in three months, the first question I get is 'What are you taking?' Is it really that hard for people in general to believe exercise and a sensible diet work? Yes, my weight loss has been dramatic because I have a lot to lose and I'm sure it will slow down significantly after the first 50 lbs, but for heavens sake, it's not rocket science.

You don't have to run marathons. Hell, you don't have to run. I only run if I'm being chased. I have a stationary bike I use everyday for at least a half an hour. I do some yoga in the morning to keep the stiffness at bay. I do 30 wall push ups. That's it. My entire exercise routine takes less than an hour. I am hoping to be able to do more as I lose, but it's a start.

I just don't understand why people think this is so hard and that anybody who succeeds at losing weight is doing something drastic or taking something or I don't know, used magic. I know it's going to take me awhile to lose the weight. I needed to lose over half my body weight to even make to the high end of healthy weight. But I'd rather have it take three years and reteach myself how to live so I never have to worry about being so heavy it endangers my health. I don't understand what the big rush is anyway.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lriaismIO51qb972po1_500.gif

Heck yeah, you go gurl. They just be hatin' 'cause you're having success doing it the right way.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's really amazing. I lost 60 pounds and people always ask how I did it. My response is "diligent food logging, calorie couting, and 4 hours of exercise a week minimum." I usually get a really skeptical look accompanied by "Really?"

To which I respond with "You're right, I found a magic lamp and wished myself thin."
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    my guess is that they desperately want to believe that there is a magic pill that will allow them to not change currant behavior's while enjoying the results of portion control and moderate ex...
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ittook me 4 monthsto lose 23 pounds so
    yes people just wannaa know how u did it cuz u did it quick
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Most people have no idea what's actually going into their bodies. Serving sizes and ingredients tend to the obscene. And the dieting industry is trying to sell 1000 different "plans" at the same time.

Also, a lot of people simply don't want to change their eating habits. Since they don't, they think nobody does, and there must be some secret pill or something. (Edit: repeated snowmoon's post, oh well).
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Its damn hard work and amazing support on here that's getting the results!
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    It's probably not you, they may just be hopeful you can offer them a quick (pharmaceutical) fix. ;)
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My parents are the worst. Ive been obese most my adult like and know that I lost over 90 lbs with eating right and exercise, I get the "you are too skinny", When I'm not even at my goal yet. It's like, why didn't you sit me down when I was 277 lbs and tell me I was too fat. Would have been more helpful.
  • maecrocker
    maecrocker Posts: 56
    Options
    Seriously! I am down now 33lbs and have some to go. So many people want to know how I'm doing it like its a big secret. I tell them to start eating healthier, only shop on the outside isles of the supermarket (never go in between the four outside walls), eat at a calorie deficit and work out. All I hear is "food like that is too expensive" or "I hate the gym." I then tell them that healthy food isn't that much more expensive and that they can buy some good, inexpensive, dvds and work out in their own living room. Then they ask a million questions and I respond because I really do want to help them lose the weight. When I see them a month or so later and ask them how the weight loss is going, they tell me they don't have time so didn't start. One friend even told me that I was wasting my time because I was just going to put all the weight back on again. I tried to explain that this wasn't a "diet" and that it was a "life style change." Everyone just kind of looks at me as if I have all the time in the world and I should feel for them because they are not as fortunate.
  • STEP_MANIAC
    STEP_MANIAC Posts: 11
    Options
    GOOD JOB! I completely believe you can do it as I did it myself. People don't quite understand that the bigger you are the more you lose & faster. You can do the same workout & burn 3x more than a smaller person. I started out in upper 200's, all I did was walk 15 minutes a day at a very slow pace 2.0 or 2.5 mph. after a couple weeks I would walk the same pace for 15 minutes twice a day, and would add on as I got more used to it. The first month I lost 12 pounds. The 2nd, 10 pounds, and the 3rd 8 pounds.
    I learned that your biggest weight lost will be in the first 2-3 months. It slows a little after that. The more you get used to the workouts, keep pushing to do just a little more. Keep up the good work!
  • BernardPumpkin
    Options
    sum ppl jus dont know how much they r eating. like fast food. if u were to try to lose weight by eating it, u would only be able to have 1 meal a day :sad: i like the show ''secret eaters'' its an eye opener for how much calories people REALLY eat.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I just don't understand why people think this is so hard and that anybody who succeeds at losing weight is doing something drastic or taking something or I don't know, used magic.
    Because magic is alot easier than the exercise and calorie control.
  • laele75
    Options
    Thanks. I just want to shake them and say 'If I can do this, you can.' I have multiple chronic pain conditions. I have a very limited budget. Hell, I follow two special diets for the medical conditions (well, I follow my low sodium one religiously, I flirt with the anti-inflammatory diet because finding actual information about it that doesn't sound like a sales pitch is hard.) Most people don't have to do as much research and modification as I did. Which makes me more frustrated, because if I didn't have to be careful of fibro flares and migraines, I would be doing so much more.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    And to be fair, it takes longer for some of us because we haven't figured out the "magic" formula of "enough calories + not too much exercise". You can see by my logs I've been diligent, have been exercising moderately & consistently, yet I've "only" lost 10 pounds. I've also lost inches and dress sizes, so I'm trying to stay positive and focused on that, instead of the scale....but after a while, especially when the scale number is still WAY too high by anyone's standards, it gets really annoying. It's especially hard when you see people, who seemingly are putting in less effort, dropping "more weight".

We all know that the scale is not the most important thing (health, stamina, clothes fitting, new fitness levels, etc, are....) but it sure helps keep the motivation up when it's moving in the right direction (whether that's up OR down!)

:)
  • laele75
    Options
    Oh yeah. Honestly, I fully expect it to slow down. But losing is still losing. Maybe I'm just frustrated with others' unrealistic expectations. Losing weight isn't supposed to be easy or fast. That's what the weight loss industry has convinced us of.

I don't own a scale. They're inaccurate. I get weighed once a month at the doctor's office. I do want to start measuring, but that's just to start tracking my body fat. It may seem like I do less than others, but in truth, I am trying to figure out how to do this without doing more harm to my already broken body. Which makes me resentful of folks who whine about how this is 'way too hard' and 'too much work'.

Because they have no idea. When I say 'If can do this.' I very much mean 'If I can lose any weight at all, with all of my medical problems working against me, with just diet and exercise, then there is no reason the average couch potato can't do it.' And probably put less work, thought and effort into it than I do.

Hence my frustrations with 'What are you doing?' Because yeah, they're gonna lose weight slower than me. But they are not going to have to spend as much planning out their diet or exercise. And eventually, I'll get to the place where I have to do all that and deal with losing slower. I will not give up. My entire life is hard. That's no reason to quit or decide something is 'too hard'.
  • mumtheshopper
    mumtheshopper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Or maybe its because some people dont drop that weight by doing exactly what you're doing and hope you're doing someting differnt they can try
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    After readint all the posts, it came to me!! Epiphany!! It takes far less time to make excuses than it takes to make changes. So people just keep on makin excuses.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You could tell them about MFP. It's probably as popular as Weight Watchers these days, and most folks who have looked into weight loss programs will have heard about it.

Or you could just make something up and see how far you can push the envelope before they call BS on you. Maybe tell them you ordered a sterile tapeworm from the internet and now you can eat as much as you want and never get fat. As soon as you reach your goal weight, the tapeworm kit comes with the proper medication to kill said tapeworm and wah-la! Skinny.

I used to work in a bar when I was weight lifting and training for a physique contest. I made up the line that I was on the cocaine/meth/marijuana diet. I'd just cycle which drug I was using everyday so that I didn't get addicted or too skinny. If a patron was drunk enough he/she would actually believe me, too. :laugh:
  • leebeebumble
    leebeebumble Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    And to be fair, it takes longer for some of us because we haven't figured out the "magic" formula of "enough calories + not too much exercise". You can see by my logs I've been diligent, have been exercising moderately & consistently, yet I've "only" lost 10 pounds. I've also lost inches and dress sizes, so I'm trying to stay positive and focused on that, instead of the scale....but after a while, especially when the scale number is still WAY too high by anyone's standards, it gets really annoying. It's especially hard when you see people, who seemingly are putting in less effort, dropping "more weight".

We all know that the scale is not the most important thing (health, stamina, clothes fitting, new fitness levels, etc, are....) but it sure helps keep the motivation up when it's moving in the right direction (whether that's up OR down!)

:)
    Very, very true! I'm so not looking forward to the scale stopping, and I'm sure it will about 10 pounds in!