Cardio ideas that don't hurt!

Options
2ChaCha
2ChaCha Posts: 31 Member
I have extremely bad knees and ankles, plus some problems with my hips and lower back (thanks, giant boobs!). I need some cardio ideas I can do at home because my fitness center is closed for two more weeks. I'm a single mom and don't have anyone to watch my small child so I can walk a track ( he won't stay with me if I tried to take him). I also can't afford videos or machines at home, have nowhere to swim, and have to do quiet exercises because I have to wait till the kid is asleep. I work full time so obviously my time is incredibly limited and valuable. I am trying so hard to lose about 40 pounds and because of all these dumb restrictions I have (health, time, money) it just seems impossible and I want to give up. Please help!

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    stairs? Do you you have stairs? or a step you can use? not sure how that would be on your knees...or stroller for your small child? And you can do push ups, planks, sit ups...you can get your heart rate going with some old fashion push ups and pull ups...
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Bike riding, I have arthritis in my knees, bike riding puts all your weight on the pedals if you stand up while riding, also great family activity.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Push the stroller outside with your kid in it!
  • 2ChaCha
    Options
    Sorry, should have been more detailed. Stairs kill my knees, even just one flight. My kid is a beastly 4'2 5 year old so he's too big for a stroller. I don't own a bike and can't afford one. By the time I get home from work I don't have time to take him to a track, walk while he rides, then still get home, make dinner, get him fed and bathed and in bed by his 8:30 bedtime. This is really getting to be futile, and I feel like I should just resign myself to being fat. I know they say you never get anywhere making excuses, but I feel my excuses are legit. I can't lock my kid in a closet so I can go workout and I can't not pay my bills so I can join a gym with child care or pay a babysitter or buy equipment for my home. And I'm always so tired. I can't get up earlier than I already do because I'm so tired and half the time all I want to do when he goes to bed is crash myself. Even when I am working out regularly I'm just exhausted. This sucks and I hate it. Oh, and his dad lives three hours away and only sees his son about every two months, so that's no help either. Thanks for the suggestions though.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can jog in place, find a chair and sit in it and out over and over. A 5 year old can entertain himself for easily an hour.

No excuses are justified you either want it or you don't.

I mean this in a positive way but if you were serious you'd make commitments to do it. Make sure to eat sensible (at this point diet is as important if not more important than exercise).

Speaking of, hell your son is 5 go outside in the yard/park and play catch. I take my 3 year old to the park and while he's on the playground I walk around it till I get dizzy.

Excuses are easy work is hard!
  • snowflakeheather
    snowflakeheather Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender has all sorts of great full length videos online. You can search their database for "low impact" and there's lots to choose from. Hope this helps!

http://www.fitnessblender.com
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Check out workout videos from the library. There are workout routines online that you can find and do. http://www.nerdfitness.com/workouts/ as an example. Walk laps around your house after your kid goes to bed, if you don't want to do anything else. ETA: Look up workout videos on Youtube. There are some full-length ones on there.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    elliptical
    recumbant bike
    treadmill either on an incline and slow OR
    treadmill straight and a little faster
  • NeverTooLateForChange
    NeverTooLateForChange Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have heard of chair yoga for people with limited mobility. I imagine it would be quite. Try doing a search on You Tube. I am sure it won't make you drop 4o pounds over night but any movement is better than no movement and it may help you to relax and have a better nights rest.

Best of luck.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It may be that for the time being you just have to focus on diet to lose weight - I know its harder then doing it with exercise too, but it can be done. Youtube is fab for free exercise videos and toning and all my dvds come from charity shops (or poundland lol). Or see if a friend has one they're willing to lend you.
    I also found ways to walk a lot more, - its amazing how many calories can be burned just by walking, and it won't hurt your knees too much like squats etc - I stupidly tried the squat challenge thinking it would strengthen mine oooops.
    Most importantly don't give up - keep in mind the reasons you are doing this :smile:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Put on some music and dance! Your son will love it too!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Everyone feels their excuses are legit. You got a big 5 year old there. That's a nice amount of weight to hold while dancing. He'll love it, and you'll get a workout. Even carrying him piggy back while you walk around, Look up cardio workouts on youtube. You don't have to blast the speakers. My kid was a light sleeper, and I found ways to live my life when he slept. Heck, run around the playground with your kid. There's a million things you can do if you want it badly enough.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yoga and pilates are quiet and low impact exercises. You can improve your strength and flexibility and may even find relief for your back and hip problems. There are plenty of videos on Youtube from beginners to advanced. Not sure if you have cable or who your provider is, but I have Charter and there are On Demand Yoga workouts. I can also get yoga/pilates workouts via my Sony Blu Ray player channels and Roku box channels.

I'm a mom. I get it. It can be hard, but you need to suck it up and do what you need to do. Your child is 5yo. Plenty old enough to be able to spend 30 minutes entertaining himself while you get a workout in. Feel hard pressed to get dinner on the table after work? Meal plan and do all your prepping Sunday afternoon/evening. Get your kid to help out and make it fun. Use a crockpot. Make extra so it can be frozen for an easy dinner another night in a few weeks.
  • Meamo
    Meamo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    these are great tips! i like the idea of having dance time while your 5 yr old is awake even taking him to the park and run around.
    prep dinner on weekend make it easier lighter meals so you are not in the kitchen that long.

there are a butt load of popular dvd's online for free,check youtube.

i was going to suggest walking in place- watch the time and do a little more each time as you are able.

and if none of these tips work for you try working on your diet and doing your work outs friday, saturday and sunday :)

being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard....choose your hard.

good luck lady
  • 2ChaCha
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I cooked six nights of meals for myself tonight. Hopefully that'll help next week. I may try walking in place or doing steps on my wii fit board (can't find the game disc and the wii itself is in a disaster of a playroom!).