Heart Rate Monitor (Calorie Tracker) recommendations please

Options
Hello all,

I've been slowly getting into exercising and I'm starting to love it! When I walk to work/ the station I use the iPhone app MapMyRun which uses GPS to tell me how many calories I've burnt using my speed and weight. However, my favourite form of exercise are the classes at my local gym, and I'd love a gadget that tells me accurately me how many calories I've burnt.

Forgive me for being naive, but do these exist? And could anyone recommend me a good brand and model? I live in the UK (though I'm happy to buy online) and I don't mind paying for quality, though I'd rather pay less if possible!

Essentially: something I can wear during my exercise classes which will tell me how many calories I've burnt.

Thank you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Motoactv !!!! You'll thank me later.
  • WVWahine
    WVWahine Posts: 3
    Options
    I love my Garmin.
  • siehatsdrauf
    siehatsdrauf Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and I love it!
    I read so many posts from people on mfp that were using this model and I really wanted to get one myself so I got it for christmas ( we just bought it from amazon). It was the best decision! I also think it's motivating to see how many calories you burnt and compare your training sessions!
  • leopardjunkie
    leopardjunkie Posts: 149
    Options
    I got a 60 beat blue heart rate monitor off of amazon and have had it a few weeks and like it alot. the price was right, it does not require a donagle and works off of blue tooth lite so it does not zap the battery with one work out.

I can also use it on my iphone along with my blue tooth headphones with out any problems at all. I use digifit to track and reccord my calories, distance and heart rate. it works pretty slick I did have to pay like $4.99 with digi fit to get the sensor added for my heart rate monitor. but it works great.
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys. So many responses already!

I like the look of the Polar FT4... have seen a couple on eBay so might take advantage of others giving up to snap up a cheap unwanted model :tongue:
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Polar is the best! There's a cheaper brand in the U.S. called Sportline that I initially bought. It never worked right, so I returned it and got a Polar. LOVE it for my C25K runs.
  • dixieracer27
    dixieracer27 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 a few weeks ago and LOVE it! Bought it off Amazon for around 60.00. It has a chest strap and a watch which gives you up to the second readings.
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions. I bought a Polar FT4, and can't believe I've only had it for five days as it's totally reformed my tracking! The numbers I was estimating before seem to have been totally random and I have much more faith in my workouts now. I even wore gingerly took it for a swim at the pool last weekend and it was amazing.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions. I bought a Polar FT4, and can't believe I've only had it for five days as it's totally reformed my tracking! The numbers I was estimating before seem to have been totally random and I have much more faith in my workouts now. I even wore gingerly took it for a swim at the pool last weekend and it was amazing.

I have the same model and i know it says can be worn swimming but i was wary. I guess it does actually work! lol x