Snack Time for the choosy eater! Suggestions?

Options
pestopoli
pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
Hi! What do you guys eat for low-fat, high protein/carb snacks? I'm both bored with my current snacks, and looking to shave fat and add protein and lovely carbs to my diet.

Stuff I eat -
roasted edamame,
bananas,
little protein bars

Stuff I eat but I'd like to replace with your suggestions -
wasabi peas,
peanut butter,
metamucil wafers (yay fiber! but expensive)

Stuff I can't stand to put in my mouth -
peanuts/nuts of any kind,
dried fruit (texture! ew! I'm such a baby!)

So - I don't know a lot! Any help with high protein snack suggestions would be great - Thank you :)

Edited for grammar

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sorry didn't see the low fat part. sorry. i have no suggestions all my suggestions had fat.
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ha! Yeah, low fat snacks are tough! Guess other people aren't sure either. :D
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Dannon light and fit greek yogurt is 80 calories per 5.3 oz container. It's delicious and fills me up at snack time :) I usually have fruit with it as well.

Maybe some egg whites... low calories, but still has protein? Part Skim or 2% cheese? I like the Target brand (Market Pantry) 2% string cheese; it's 50 calories per stick.

Otherwise, hmmm... I got nothin'!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Crab sticks (if you don't mind processed, they are only 12-16 cals per stick).
    Beef Jerky (if you don't mind sodium).
    Hummous with raw veg dipped in.
    Turkey salami zapped to a crisp in the microwave. (If you don't mind the sodium).
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Apples and almond butter, half a banana (sliced) and almond butter on a slice of whole wheat toast, pumpkin seeds, yogurt with blueberries and a bit of fake granola (Nature Valley is not real granola, but that's why I only have one of those bar things in the two bar packs)
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My thing at moment is 1%fat rakutan onion and chive crackers (about 80 cals per 4) or weight watchers crackers with pepper and chilli cottage cheese or any cottage cheese come to think of it. Pineapple or apple and sultana version helps when craving sweet, then plain, onion and chive or chilli and pepper sorts savoury cravings. Dunno about you lot, but i crave doritos and dip from time to time and this snack fettles these cravings without blowing my days calories :) i also use cottage cheese to dip veggie sticks.
  • SDStafford
    SDStafford Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The fat thing is hard. One thing I have been struggling with is the fact that pretty much everything you can smear on a tortilla or cracker, which is what I mostly snack on, has significant amounts of fat regardless of calorie content.

Yogurt is a great suggestion, non-fat of course. I usually add a tablespoon of Fruit Spread, (read hippie-dippie jam with less sugar). There's a somewhat spendy Euro version called Fiordafrutta that is only 30 calories per tablespoon and is sweetened with apple juice that is the most amazing jam I've ever eaten. A tablespoon of that and a half cup of yogurt is around 100 calories.

Other than that, I have been eating tons of fruit. Strawberries are 4-5 calories each. Bananas are a wonder food, IMHO

The other thing I've been doing is eating little bits of leftover grilled chicken breast, straight or with a bit of fancy mustard, which has about zero cals,
  • pickledbrooke
    Options
    Turkey jerky! I like it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Lunch meat slices
    Grapes
    Bananas
    Apples
    Hummus
    Roasted chick peas
    Chips and salsa
    Oranges
    Strawberries with cool whip
    Marshmallows (for when you need something sweet - they are low fat)