Thyroid Disease

Options
2»

Replies

• Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago. They wanted to put me on some pills but I don't take medicine unless my life depends on it. Plus, the doc said that it was a lifetime commitment. I don't want to be on any pill for the rest of my life.

I've been losing weight continuously for about three months (since I put my mind to it). All I do is eat under 1200 calories a day and get burn about 1000 calories in exercise. Some days I don't burn anything at all. I lose an average of about 3.6 lbs a week.

It's all about willpower and mind over matter.
  • sassykeez
    sassykeez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis & PCOS (originally diagnosed in 2000). I switched endocrinologists b/c the first one I went to refused to increase my levoxyl b/c I was "within normal range". The second endo gladly increased it & over time, I came to know my body's symptoms for increasing or decreasing. My doctor doesn't even question me anymore, he just adjusts the dose when I ask him b/c the lab results have proved over the years what I had been saying every time. My TSH has to be below 1.0, preferably closer to .75, otherwise I will have the symptoms you described. That's extreme though. Not many people can be at this low range. And the doctors get nervous b/c the hypothyroidism could very quickly switch to hyperthyroidism with Grave's Disease, which is much worse. I've also found that the nurse practitioners are awesome. They listen very intensely & really think things through. I'm a big fan of nurse practitioners.

I noticed your daily calorie goal is 1200. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with the problem. Especially if you're doing a minimum of 600 calorie burns. There's a lot of information out there about the types of foods you should eat if you have a thyroid disease. Just do a google search. I personally don't follow any of it b/c frankly, I can't be bothered. I'm eating very healthy & it's working for me so I'm not going to complicate things. But you may pick up a few tips & find it helpful.

If you haven't had your vitamin D level checked, I would recommend that as well.

Newmein2013,
    Thanks for your suggestions..I'll check out the foods recommended, I usually can adjust some things and at least attempt to add them in... I don't eat anywhere near 1200 per day, its usually a lot more, but as the NET is concerned, it is still usually under my calorie goal from what I burn.. I know that it won't hurt to take in more calories, I just have to find some more healthy ways to do that, The thing that is confusing for me is that for 6 months, it was working great, losing 1-2 pounds per week. But as soon as I started noticing symptoms, that I have also learned to listen to my body, no matter what the doctor tells me, and usually ask them if I can just try for a week (or whatever works to get them to do what I want), and it usually ends up staying that way, and working. I do feel that I don't need to do that with my current nurse practitioner, because she seems to respect that even if is isn't what she would initially think, that I have been dealing with this for almost 20 years, and I've learned what works, at least temporarily. The part that Ive never been able to figure out is WHY it changes, the longest I've gone, being in range, has been about 7 months.. over all this time.. The only thing I do know for certain, is that when it starts, if it goes unattended to, it spins out of control and influences everything else.. and becomes a vicious cycle..I just wish I could erase the past month and feel 1/2 as good as I was feeling!
  • crawford4398
    crawford4398 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes i struggle with the same thing, my thyroid stops working, completely shuts down. I figure it out to late every time! Then its iodine replacements and compounds to reboot. It sucks!
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am on the waiting list to have my thyroid removed as it has developed into a huge multinodular goiter... my trainer and I are trying to get as much weight off me before my operation, as I am terrified of what will happen afterward.
    I have trouble losing weight, even though supposedly I am slightly overactive, weird.
    I'm not currently on any medication and I have PCOS. GAH!!!!!
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. Before I was diagnosed, I gained 8 pounds in a half year while carefully counting calories and exercising consistently. Since I started taking my medicine, I have lost 15 pounds and have more energy than ever. Get yourself a good endocrinologist. It makes a big difference. I originally got my diagnosis from my gp, who didn't talk to me about it or explain how the med needed to be taken. I knew enough to know this was bad medicine. So I found a great endocrinologist, who explained everything and is always available to answer my questions. So stay optimistic and take the time to find a good doctor. It can turn around for you.
  • sassykeez
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago. They wanted to put me on some pills but I don't take medicine unless my life depends on it. Plus, the doc said that it was a lifetime commitment. I don't want to be on any pill for the rest of my life.

I've been losing weight continuously for about three months (since I put my mind to it). All I do is eat under 1200 calories a day and get burn about 1000 calories in exercise. Some days I don't burn anything at all. I lose an average of about 3.6 lbs a week.

Sorry, I have to highly disagree with you, if it was willpower and mind over matter, at least for me.. the 33 pounds I lost in 6 months would not have come back on within 4 1/2 weeks! I burn 1000-1400 calories 6-7 days a week just in exercise alone, not even considering the additional burned throughout daily activities. And eat a net amount under my calorie goals.. This results in anywhere from 3000-6000 net calories under weekly goals.. I got my blood work back today and my TSH was at 12, which if you know anything about thyroid, should be between about 1-5. You must not have hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's or you would probably never have made that comment, your doctor was obviously incorrect..lucky for you! I don't know anyone who wants to take pills for an illness especially for the rest of their lives, Going through this so far for 18 years, trying supplements, natural approaches, healthy eating, and sometimes simply just prayer gives me enough knowledge, at least about my own body, to know that sometimes, medication is necessary...I'm feeling a bit insulted to get that as a response.. but there are 99% more people who are supportive and understand that willpower has little to do with it at times!! I wish you continued success in your weight loss, my understanding is a healthy amount of pounds to lose per week is 1-2, for lasting results, also the first 3-4 months are the easiest...so keep at it!
  • sassykeez
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. Before I was diagnosed, I gained 8 pounds in a half year while carefully counting calories and exercising consistently. Since I started taking my medicine, I have lost 15 pounds and have more energy than ever. Get yourself a good endocrinologist. It makes a big difference. I originally got my diagnosis from my gp, who didn't talk to me about it or explain how the med needed to be taken. I knew enough to know this was bad medicine. So I found a great endocrinologist, who explained everything and is always available to answer my questions. So stay optimistic and take the time to find a good doctor. It can turn around for you.

I do feel my endocrine (more the nurse practitioner) are knowledgeable and helpful, I think my problem is more in the fact that I have over the years with changing jobs, or health insurance, had to switch my endocrinologist and even with my records, every one is like a new beginning... to them.. I give lots of history, and explain.. but it is not until times like now (today my TSH came back at 12 with range being 1-5) and I have tracked exercise, food, calories, supplements, anything, you name it, and know for a fact that nothing changed on my efforts any, and if at all it was after I became to fatigued to work as hard, but I still kept meeting my goals. I guess today, was a bit of a relief paired with another big blow of disappointment... It's good to know, again, that I'm not imaging things :noway: .. but also sucks to have no real idea of why this happens so often, and that the only answer is, as always, an increase in medication :explode: You guys have all been very supportive, so it actually helps quite a lot! It's nice to have people who at lease know what its like! :smooched: Thanks!
  • kimbadean1
    kimbadean1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Please just be persistent with your doctor and if they are not trying different things will you then you should switch doctors. Every hypothyroid patient is different and responds to medication differently. I had my thyroid removed a few years ago and have been on synthroid ever since. I went through a really rough spot of no energy and weight gain and my endocrinologist added Liothyronine to my regime a couple of years ago which seemed to make all the difference in the word. Now I take both Synthroid and Liothyronine and my energy levels are good and my weight is directly related to what i eat and how much exercise I get which is all I can ask for.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    bump for reading later :smile:
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Sorry, I have to highly disagree with you, if it was willpower and mind over matter, at least for me.. the 33 pounds I lost in 6 months would not have come back on within 4 1/2 weeks! I burn 1000-1400 calories 6-7 days a week just in exercise alone, not even considering the additional burned throughout daily activities. And eat a net amount under my calorie goals.. This results in anywhere from 3000-6000 net calories under weekly goals.. I got my blood work back today and my TSH was at 12, which if you know anything about thyroid, should be between about 1-5. You must not have hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's or you would probably never have made that comment, your doctor was obviously incorrect..lucky for you! I don't know anyone who wants to take pills for an illness especially for the rest of their lives, Going through this so far for 18 years, trying supplements, natural approaches, healthy eating, and sometimes simply just prayer gives me enough knowledge, at least about my own body, to know that sometimes, medication is necessary...I'm feeling a bit insulted to get that as a response.. but there are 99% more people who are supportive and understand that willpower has little to do with it at times!! I wish you continued success in your weight loss, my understanding is a healthy amount of pounds to lose per week is 1-2, for lasting results, also the first 3-4 months are the easiest...so keep at it!

Oh yes. If you had a different experience than me, my licenced doctor who went to medical school for seven years must obviously be wrong.
  • eatyourselffitter
    eatyourselffitter Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid as well and have gone through some of the same things. Good golly,guess my pesky lack of will power isn't strong enough for those silly hormones." Mind over matter?" Sorry that you got that one. Please feel free to add me as I'm very supportive and intelligent. I def know what its like to be frustrated, truly!
  • sassykeez
    Options

Oh yes. If you had a different experience than me, my licenced doctor who went to medical school for seven years must obviously be wrong.

Uhh... I said you were lucky, I didn't realize you wanted to have a thyroid disease...
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I too have been dealing with Hypothyroid for the last 8 years. My Dr has struggled to try and find the right balance for me. I managed to lose 100lbs in 2009-10 with diet and exercise, but have since gained back 60lbs. My Dr doesn't understand it. I will admit that some if it is my choices, but My dr has upped my meds and my numbers have gotten worse. I moved 6 years ago and was travelling 6 hrs to see my old Dr a few times a year for this. There were no local Drs accepting patients. I am now starting with a new Dr here (hopefully in a couple weeks) and I have hope that a fresh perspective will maybe come up with some new solutions.

I know I have very little energy, and have been struggling to get the workout routine back in place. I don't think I am quite as bad as I was before I started on Synthroid, but it isn't great.

Hang in there and it sounds like you are doing all the right things (actually asking the questions and making them hear what your body is telling you).
  • sassykeez
    Options
    I too have been dealing with Hypothyroid for the last 8 years. My Dr has struggled to try and find the right balance for me. I managed to lose 100lbs in 2009-10 with diet and exercise, but have since gained back 60lbs. My Dr doesn't understand it. I will admit that some if it is my choices, but My dr has upped my meds and my numbers have gotten worse. I moved 6 years ago and was travelling 6 hrs to see my old Dr a few times a year for this. There were no local Drs accepting patients. I am now starting with a new Dr here (hopefully in a couple weeks) and I have hope that a fresh perspective will maybe come up with some new solutions.

I know I have very little energy, and have been struggling to get the workout routine back in place. I don't think I am quite as bad as I was before I started on Synthroid, but it isn't great.

Hang in there and it sounds like you are doing all the right things (actually asking the questions and making them hear what your body is telling you).

LOVE your shoes :) I hope your new doctor does have a fresh perspective.. I can't say that I've really come across an Endocrinologist who wasn't very knowledgable, but more often just seem to provide cookie cutter approaches to treatment! . They all seem to agree that they don't know how to 'fix' it, I just wish they all had a stronger mindset towards the 'best quality of life'! That's all we can really hope for :)
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypo 30 years ago, a couple of years after I became overweight for the first time in my life. Like you and others here, my endocrinologist has had to constantly monitor the TSH, but also T3 and T4, changing meds, adjusting dosages. Now I am on Cytomel and Synthroid, brands not generics, because the slightest variability can be a problem in thyroid treatment.

I don't remember seeing in this thread that it is absolutely necessary, according to my endocrinologist, to take these meds on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after eating. Elements of food (maybe protein especially, if I remember right) lessen or even cancel out completely the med's effects. If you happen to change your eating or pill-taking times, you may dramatically change the symptoms you experience.
  • tamuaggie08
    tamuaggie08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got put on thyroid meds for the first time last June. I gained 30 pounds! It was for hypothyroid, now I'm 19 pounds down from that. It's hard work!
  • b102488r
    b102488r Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism all my life. I was born with it so I know how you feel. It sucks having to take a pill everyday for that. I forget every other day. Hate being tired and being cold all the time. I've slowly been gaining weigh over the past 2 years, almost 20 pounds. But you just have to work twice as hard as other people, it can be hard at times to keep up with every thing.