I CAN'T GO TO THE BATHROOM!!! HELP

Options

Replies

• GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok.. first you need to get cleaned out.. try steeping some herbal tea.. Two to look for at your local grocery store..Smooth Move or Balerina Tea..

After you start moving you need to add probiotics to your diet.. examples are Yogurt w live active cultures , Kefir (yogurt like), Pill form as long as they are refrigerated, there's plenty more foods that will help w digestion.. Fermented foods like saurkraut and this amazing tea called Kombucha tea.. it tastes nasty but it will definately help you stay consistent!!!
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have had stomach problems my whole life and I just found out I have IBS. I have cut out A LOT of foods and boy is the diet strict but I have been smooth sailing since I started it! It's really, really made a difference.

No soy, gluten, dairy (except activia yogurt once a day, with a lactose pill), and no gassy fruits and veggies. These include brocolli, brussel sprouts, apples, pears and many other things. Also avoid chicory root, a thickener in most foods. Check all ingredients and make sure none of these things are in the foods you are eating.

Try the FODMAPS diet, a diet people with IBS and sensitive stomachs follow. Here is a blog and links that that really help (Kate Scarlata is a nutritionist and writes about IBS) :

http://www.katescarlata.com/

http://blog.katescarlata.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/GROCERYPOSTER_MARCH11.jpg

http://blog.katescarlata.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/edt2013COLOR_NEWFODMAPSCHECKLIST_JAN27_2013.jpg

http://blog.katescarlata.com/fodmaps-basics/fodmaps-menu-and-snacks/

This is all advice from a professional nutritionist. I also have digestive problems. Also, this is advice that has worked for ME so it;s not garunteed it will work for you.

The nutritionist also said to eat 5 dried figs at night and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil--this helps regulate bowel movements. Also, onions and garlic irritate a lot of people's digestive systems.

Best of luck!
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had this problem quite often even with all my fitness & water consumption but was told to take 800 mg of HIGH POTENCY MAGNESIUM (they are soft gel oil & can be found in Walmart by Nature Made) until you clean out then go to 400mg a day after that. I drank lots of water & ate fresh fruits like apples, pears, strawberries but blueberries really help. Also see a chiropractor, they work on your stomach to release tension in the bowels. I swear by doing these things!!! I feel your pain and discomfort!!!

You know zero about her biochemistry and yet you tell her to take a supplement that you have no idea what it will do to her...

ever hear of Hypermagnesemia? prolly not.. but hey what do i know?

Cmon man, a little less abrasiveness would make for a positive contribution.

zero abrasiveness, stop reading into it. just stated facts
  • totalsham
    Options
    I had this problem quite often even with all my fitness & water consumption but was told to take 800 mg of HIGH POTENCY MAGNESIUM (they are soft gel oil & can be found in Walmart by Nature Made) until you clean out then go to 400mg a day after that. I drank lots of water & ate fresh fruits like apples, pears, strawberries but blueberries really help. Also see a chiropractor, they work on your stomach to release tension in the bowels. I swear by doing these things!!! I feel your pain and discomfort!!!

You know zero about her biochemistry and yet you tell her to take a supplement that you have no idea what it will do to her...

Cmon man, a little less abrasiveness would make for a positive contribution.

Although he is right to be cautious about taking magnesium. That stuff messes with your heart rhythm and can really screw you up. You have to be really careful with electrolytes like magnesium and potassium. Both can cause arrhythmias.

1000% correct my nursing friend!!! people supplement on whims without seeing what their body needs or has too much. The op of this magnesium topic is taking 400mg a day.... thats without her diet. Very scary.

how scary???? this ER or casket type of scary

Hypermagnesemia is an uncommon problem in the absence of magnesium administration or renal failure. (See "Causes and treatment of hypermagnesemia".) When it occurs, the elevation in the plasma magnesium concentration is usually mild (<3 meq/L, 3.6 mg/dL, or 1.5 mmol/L) and the patient is asymptomatic. However, three types of symptoms may be seen when the plasma magnesium concentration exceeds 4 meq/L (4.8 mg/dL or 2 mmol/L): neuromuscular; cardiovascular; and hypocalcemia. The approximate relation between clinical manifestations and the degree of hypermagnesemia can be summarized as follows:

Plasma magnesium concentration 4 to 6 meq/L (4.8 to 7.2 mg/dL or 2 to 3 mmol/L) – nausea, flushing, headache, lethargy, drowsiness, and diminished deep tendon reflexes.

Plasma magnesium concentration 6 to 10 meq/L (7.2 to 12 mg/dL or 3 to 5 mmol/L) – somnolence, hypocalcemia, absent deep tendon reflexes, hypotension, bradycardia, and ECG changes.

Plasma magnesium concentration above 10 meq/L (12 mg/dL or 5 mmol/L) – muscle paralysis, respiratory paralysis, complete heart block, and cardiac arrest. In most cases, respiratory failure precedes cardiac collapse.
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I don't see where they told her to take the supplement, just sharing what works for them. I had a DOCTOR tell me the same thing. Amazingly enough, he has a MD behind his name, not "student" but what the h*ll does he know, right?
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Go back to the ER. demand one, If you are in pain that is a huge warning sign.
    I hate to be the guy who says ^^this^^ but yeah ^^this^^
  • Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I go thru the same thing, have gone to the ER and DR several times, its IBS, they told me to increase fiber, I do and I still only go once a week after I take laxitives. Its not fun but not much they can do about it.
    They also gave me medication for the pain, its your intestines being inflammed and cramping.
    Sounds exactly like what I have but yes check this out with your DR.
  • totalsham
    Options
    I don't see where they told her to take the supplement, just sharing what works for them. I had a DOCTOR tell me the same thing. Amazingly enough, he has a MD behind his name, not "student" but what the h*ll does he know, right?

1. its in the quote

Hypermagnesemia is an uncommon problem in the absence of magnesium administration or renal failure.

Your doctor friend might not be an internist (since what would an ENT know about the above statement), or it might be time for a new doctor.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just a concern I have regarding this, but wouldn't eating fiber at this point just make things worse if there was some sort of blockage? My concern is that she may back things up even worse making the uncomfort even more unbearable.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. water
    2. prune juice
    3. caster oil
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1.coffee
    2.anema
    3.laxative pill
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    yes I have been drinking lots and lots of water.. more than I usually do on any other days... :(

If you start throwing up stool, get to the ER immediately. It would mean that you are obstructed. This happened to me--I had scar tissue adhesions from an appendectomy that kinked off part of my colon. I was in horrible pain and throwing up. When I started throwing up stool, I knew I needed surgery ASAP. I had surgery that night. Have you ever had surgery on any part of your bowels? The other problem that you could be having is a very slowed down peristalsis from a lack of bulk. When I was in my crazy diet days, I would go about once a week--and was in misery the rest of the time. :frown:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Just a concern I have regarding this, but wouldn't eating fiber at this point just make things worse if there was some sort of blockage? My concern is that she may back things up even worse making the uncomfort even more unbearable.

Exactly. If there is an obstruction there--she could be in major trouble very quickly from doing anything harsh. She needs medical help.
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Chia Seed Pudding! Works for me everytime.

3 tbsp chia seed
    1/2 cup almond milk

seal in a glass jar in the fridge for an hour or so. You can add berries or cacao power or vanilla extract to flavor it up a bit.

Feel Better!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. Enemas, ER's, magnesium citrate, prune juice, nothing. Ex lax nothing. Miralax takes about 3-5 days to start working, but once it does, it is great. Don't miss a day, or a dose. If I miss a day or two, I'm back in the same boat. Doesn't matter how much fiber or water I drink. Hope things work out for you. No offense on this post. This is a serious matter that seems to affect more people during weight loss than not.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My son has regular constipation, which has resulted in something called a 'super colon'. The doctor likened his colon to old pantyhose. They get stretched out over time and can't go back to the normal size, so his sphincter can't recognize that it's time to go unless it's overloaded. He is five and was going every five to six days. Yes, five to six days regularly. You should have seen his new pediatrician's face when we said that. He is a five year old and clogs the toilet every time he goes. Did I mention he only weighs 38 pounds? We now have him on a half dose of Miralax every single day. Probably would want more for an adult but it has done such wonders. He's been taking it for about two months and is going every few days now and doesn't clog it up anymore. His colon is slowly shrinking back to its normal size. So, if you have regular constipation, stick with the miralax for more than a few days. Give your colon time to return to normal.
  • kimmyboggess
    kimmyboggess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use 1 or 2 capfuls of Miralax in my coffee a day to keep it the"regular " way.
  • EuSaNaD
    EuSaNaD Posts: 33
    Options
    I do feel that you need to go to the E.R. and not leave until you have a [correct] diagnosis. I had a co-worker that had a bowel obstruction and eventually passed away due to it. By the time they got him into surgery, his bowel had exploded and killed him. I'm not trying to scare you, but I don't want you to wait too long. Also, I can empathize with not being able to use the restroom and the frustration and pain that goes along with it... I hope you find a solution soon!
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest combing through your food diary after you get this fixed and see if you can isolate the problem food or al least find out if there is a problem food.