Biathlon- I need information to get ready for this event

Options
I am going to do my first biathlon on September 19th and I have already been cycling for the past 2 months regularly (about 10 miles 4-5 days a week) and work out daily (free weights and cardio classes) and now I have added running to the regimen to get ready for this challenge. It is a 5 mile run and:happy: 22 mile bike, any suggestions regarding what I should be doing for exercise and how often (how many days a week)? Much appreciation!

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my first marathon, I read somewhere there is a quantifiable number of seconds on how each pound of body weight will affect your times. I then read recently that weight lifting more than about two-three times a week is counterproductive for endurance performance.

With that in mind, RUN and BIKE. One method to consider is overrunning and overbiking. It goes like this. On weekends, you have your long runs/bikes. Your mileage monday through friday should equal at least what you are planning to do on your long run/bike. And for a 5 mile run, 22 mile bike, consider doing a 5.5 - 6.0 mile run for your long run, with a 24-25 mile ride for your long ride. And make sure that you do BOTH the ride and the run on the same day, preferably back to back.

September 19 isn't that far away, so your mileage should already be up there (running at least 3-4 and riding 15-17 at one go...)

There are many training plans on freely available on the internet. Find a good one and stick with it, but be a little flexible-life does come at you fast. And most important, don't give up-you CAN do it!
  • TaraJackson
    TaraJackson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the helpful tips, so this is my current regimen, can you tell me what you think?>
    Monday's - Run 3 miles Bike 4 miles (back to back)
    Tuesday's- Bike 9 miles & Weight Train
    Wednesday's- Run 3 miles Bike 4 miles (back to back)
    Thursday's- Bike 9 miles & Weight Train
    Friday's- Run 3 miles Bike 4 miles (back to back)
    Saturday's- Bike 10-15 miles
    Sunday's- Run 3 miles

Should I take a day off for recovery, am I doing enough? Thanks so much