Does anyone Jazzercise?

Options
I am a long time Jazzerciser and wondered if anyone else does it and if so how do you track it?

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I Zumba...love it. Just got WiiFit for X-mas and it let's me log a variety of "METS" from walking the dogs to zumba/jazzercise.

Using the Activity Log, I can choose from 3 types of activities ranging from low impact, med, & high and the time invested. In turn, it'll give me calories burned, graph my results, and along with my BMI and weight, I can see the big picture.

Hope this helps.

mj

667905.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started Jazzercise a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I don't jazzercise ...... but it's what I call 'working out' - it's my "catch-all" phrase in place of using "working out" . It could be anything, circuits, weights, aerobics, yoga, run, etc. I'll text my wife "jazzercising today, be home X"
    :)

I didn't realize it still existed or was a term still used.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't jazzercise ...... but it's what I call 'working out' - it's my "catch-all" phrase in place of using "working out" . It could be anything, circuits, weights, aerobics, yoga, run, etc. I'll text my wife "jazzercising today, be home X"
    :)

I didn't realize it still existed or was a term still used.
    I didn't realize they still ran classes either, seems Zumba has taken over the world and with the terrific Latin music and dance, gotta love it!

Good luck finding out what you need regarding Jazzercise:flowerforyou:
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    interested in Zumba.... tell me more about it!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    interested in Zumba.... tell me more about it!!
    Just checked the archived using the word Zumbaaaaa and lots of threads! So I bumped a few for you so you've got a bit of reading to do!:wink:

You'll love it, tons of fun

Becca
  • shaunasmith303
    shaunasmith303 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do! I wear a Polar heart rate monitor and it tracks my heart rate as well as calories burned. I love it and would recommend it to anyone as it's perfect for any exercise program or sport. I wear it for so many activities I do.

Shauna
  • gmchevere
    Options
    I love Jazzercise! And my mom and I do it as a mother-daughter activity, lol

We go twice a week, and then I do other exercise 2-3 times per week (right now I'm working through C25K).

But I definitely recommend Jazzercise, it sounds kinda dorky, but it's really fun (and might I say that I have never sweat as much as I have than in some of those classes! Ok, the hot room didn't help...but still!) :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I love Jazzercise! And my mom and I do it as a mother-daughter activity, lol

We go twice a week, and then I do other exercise 2-3 times per week (right now I'm working through C25K).

But I definitely recommend Jazzercise, it sounds kinda dorky, but it's really fun (and might I say that I have never sweat as much as I have than in some of those classes! Ok, the hot room didn't help...but still!) :)
    I used to go Jazzercise classes back in the dark ages when EVERYONE was doing it. I never hear about it anymore, only about Zumba!! But I used to love Jazzercise, 6 days a week :) lol LOVED all the music, soooooo many ppl though yikes

Have fun!:flowerforyou:
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I go to Jazzercise 6 times a week. The site says it burns 362 a hour, but my jazzercise instructor says its close to 600 calories. I go with the site calories so I dont eat the extra calories :) I think some days I burn more then others so it probably evens out.
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I got a temporary pass for $20 to go to Jazzercise for a month to try it out.

Those of you who are doing this, is it really "dancy?" Can a newbie hang in there or is it all choreographed?

Also, I have a torn ligament in my knee and have always had issues with excessive lateral movement. I plan on wearing my light knee brace, but hope that I can do the routines.

Any info would be great! :flowerforyou:
  • lhollandlong
    Options
    I teach Jazzercize :) It is choreographed and dance-y, but very few people in my classes consider themselves to be coordinated. I always tell my students that it feels awkward the first couple of classes but that they will quickly become familiar with the choreography patterns and flow of the class. I promote an absolutely "judgment free" zone and remind my students often that it is much more important what their dancing looks like in their heads than in reality. It's a great workout and a lot of fun (in my opinion.) Have a good time!
  • ashayshay23
    Options
    I am also a Certified Jazzercise Instructor and love it! I have been Jazzercizing for over 10 years and it is a greet workout. No matter what workout you chose to do, you get out what you put into it!! Try it out if you haven't yet. The common misconception is that Kenny G plays his saxophone in the corner of the stage as I sweat with my leotard and leg warmers on....not even close!
  • clinec2
    clinec2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a 30 year group aerobic exerciser who just joined jazzercise 2 weeks ago for the first time. I LOVE IT! It is a great combination of dance, standard aerobic moves, strength work, stretching and my favorite exercise of all time kickboxing. Jazzercise lets me get a great workout without compromising my knees. I had a knee operation 3 years ago and thought that my career in group exercise was over, until I started Jazzercise. I am thrilled that I can get such a wonderful workout and not hurt my joints.
  • jlsoules
    jlsoules Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to Jazzercise about 8 years ago and quit because it cut into kid time to much. I went back on 7/22/12 and I have only missed 4 days of the last 16 days!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! An hour a day for me is not much to ask of my family. My kids are almost all teens and can fend for themselves if they absolutely have to. I've arranged rides to places and I do the take home duty. :)

My excuses were endless...too much time from the family, not good dinners because I was always in a hurry, people will laugh at me because I'm uncoordinated, my clothes look awful. WHO CARES?! Most of the women in the classes are just like me. They aren't there judging me, and even if they are I don't care! Not this time!! I'm there for me because I need to feel and look better. I need to do this for me. I'm loving it and if you're thinking about it, you need to go and give it a try!! It's so fun and whether you have rhythm or not doesn't even matter. The instructors are usually counting and coaching along the way, making it easy for those of us that don't have any beat to our feet. :) Please try it and see what you think!!
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    11 year jazzerciser here. i wear a HRM: body sculping 250-350, circuit tonight: 530, regular: 495-600, express: 300. I'm 5'5" 172 pounds, 51 years old, and do low impact cause of arthritis. Fun times Chasing The Sun!
  • katsimmons21
    Options
    I'm a former Jazzercise instructor of 13 years, and now I am an avid student, try to get to four classes a week. It has helped me to whittle off 12 pounds so far. I don't think there is a better and more fun cardio/strength training/ stretching class anywhere. Also, MFP has an accurate calorie category, so just put it in you search engine for exercise and you will see that you burn nearly 600 calories an hour. And anyone can do it. No matter where you go in the country, you can always find a class, and it has totally kept up with the times. Unfortunately, they don't advertise nationally or everyone would be doing it. Have fun!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes, Brinasacat! I loved the routine to The Wanted's Chasing the Sun!
    On Jazzercise Inc's facebook page they hinted that the new set of music is coming out soon and has
    Nicki Minaj's Pound the Alarm,
    Train's 50 Ways to say Goodbye, and
    another Jason Mraz and
    another Shakira (I LOVE SHAKIRA!). Cannot Wait!
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I heard from an instructor that the notes will be up soon. I think next Friday. I love it when we get new stuff. I like Shakira too and it's been a while since we've had some of her stuff.