Is my scale mocking me? LOL

Options
Ok - I have this cheap 20$ Taylor Stainless steel scale I bought in Walmart. Thing is that when I weigh myself weekly, I usually step three times or six if I'm doubtful.

I've been on MFP for a month now, and I got my scale about 3 and a half weeks ago. When I first weighted myself, it was right after I bought it (I had no idea my weigh fluctuated 3-4 pounds daily. So that time I weighted 193. Then, the next morning I weighted 190. As I changed my diet and the weeks had gone by, I have lost 1-2 pounds a week. This morning I weighted 181.2. But the weigh is different when I move my scale to lets say, from the bathroom to the kitchen and to the kitchen to the living room. In the kitchen it would be 181.2 or 0.4, then in the living room it would be 181.0. Whats troubling me is that I stepped on it and it said 184.5 and as you can imagine, I freaked out. So I stepped off and stepped again and it was 181.0 and I obsessively did it over and over again for about 5-6 times. lol.. :explode: I got the same weigh though, but that 184 number appeared two times, the rest was 181. something. Should I get a new scale? or keep this one? have you guys experienced something similar?

Replies

• j4m8
    j4m8 Posts: 32
    Options
    You have to find absolute zero on your scale and should weigh on a hard surface. Every time you move the scale, it has to be set back to "absolute zero". Google the brand to see if they have instructions on how to do it. Also try weighing at the same time to get the most consistent results
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't move your scale. Pick a place for it. Bathroom, kitchen, what have you, and weigh yourself in the same room every time. The scale will read differently depending if it sits on carpet or hardwood, in my experience, so that's a factor.

I don't recommend stepping on the scale 5-6 times to check for accuracy. Don't become so obsessed. Step on ONCE. Be completely naked. Do it in the morning after you've used the bathroom and BEFORE you've eaten anything.

Welcome to your most accurate weight. :)
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't move your scale to anything with carpet and then back to hard tile. The carpet is going to come out a different weight and you are recommended to not put your scale on carpet. Everywhere you go for weigh ins the scale is on tile so you want to try and stick with that as much as possible
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Uneven tile surface can also modify scale results.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys. I will leave it in my mothers room, there I can't go and obsessively weigh myself repeatedly. lol
  • Kristilittle
    Kristilittle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought my 20 buck digital scale with fat% water% ,ect. from walmart too. It definitely read different numbers every time I stepped on it. I'd step off step back on and it reads up our down 3 lbs each time. Same location. Thought it was just me. :)