Too hot outside to eat..?

Options
wordena
wordena Posts: 177 Member
Anyone else find that when the weather heats up, especially suddenly, that it's just too hot to eat? Clarification: I'm not advocating anorexia or not eating because I believe eating too few calories is not good in the short or long run. The weather has suddenly turned from mid 60's to high 80's where I live in the last few days and at night I'll discover I just haven't eaten during the day, or will eat only 500 calories the whole day. I do drink water and Gatorade throughout the day, but I've found I really must remind myself to eat during this heat, before I become so shaky from low blood pressure that I realize I haven't eaten. I just seem to have no appetite in hot weather.
Anyone else ever experience this?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Anytime the weather gets up to the 100's here I start eating less heavy food and start eating lighter stuff like salads, sushi, etc. Not all the time, but I hate feeling bloated, full, and hot.
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    Nevada resident here, and we've had a few 100+ days already. And yeah, the heat always cuts my appetite in half. A lot of people are like that. It's good for me because I'm such a snacker, so if the urge to chomp my way through the afternoon is gone, losing weight gets a lot easier!
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Totally get what your saying. I have to remind myself to eat on really hot days because my appetite is non existent!
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Arizona resident here: I find that if I get a good breakfast before the day heats up, then I feel better w/ a light lunch and maybe a light snack until the heat eases for a decent suppertime meal. But, you are right, I don't know of many people who want soups, stews or heavy meals when the weather is hot.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Good time for main-course salads (greens and grilled meat, also pasta salads, potato salads) smoothies, cold yogurt-berry soup, gazpacho if you like it (I don't), lots of fruit, even a bowl of cereal with ice-cold milk...
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    lol i wish i had that problem .. forgetting to eat haha ... I usually just switch to like lighter foods... fruit for sure! i dont cook when it's too hot.. so I just get like salad or sushi... or those 150 calorie Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple "ice cream" pints from whole foods haha
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    No. Never.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    i can eat. any weather. any temperature. sleet, rain, snow, hail, tornado. give me some dog gone food! lol
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, but I've pretty much determined that my natural hunger signals are often off (I used to wait too long to eat then ate too much). I also have a hard time eating if I am overheated (from exercise, illness, whatever) even if the ambient temperature is nice.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Hehe, nope. It was 85 yesterday and I was setting up a hot plate of hash brown and egg casserole. xD
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one here who does this in hot weather.
    As I sit here eating a bowl of gazpacho. I live in Michigan; I cant imagine living down South with real heat. I'm such a hot weather wimp. Once I accidentally passed out from the heat standing in line for water onto a very elderly woman in a wheelchair! And it was 80 degrees! Very embarrassing when organizers put me ahead of her in line.
    I'm sure in a few days I'll get used to the heat. Until then I've switched to a vegetarian diet, not out of conviction, but a refusal to cook anything and heat up my house more. :D
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If I start feeling hot for an extended period of time or about a certain degree, I feel incredibly nauseated, and usually don't eat. Instead, my calories tend to dip very low and I take a lot of naps. It's like... reverse hibernation.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one. I live in New England, and my area hasn't really gotten a day above 75 yet. But when it's hot and humid, it's a struggle to eat. My advice would be light foods. Cereal, yogurt, cold soups, etc. I eat a lot of sandwiches and salads in the summer. My grandparents eat things like pot roast and mashed potatoes in 90 degree heat. The very thought makes me queasy!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i can eat. any weather. any temperature. sleet, rain, snow, hail, tornado. give me some dog gone food! lol

Glad I'm not the only one :laugh: My husband always wants to wait till its cooler out to eat dinner and I just look at him with amazement, and a rumbling stomach! That is what the air conditioner is for LOL
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I hate the heat but I like it in the sense that it curbs my appetite.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have a voracious appetite no matter how hot or cold it is. I need my food in my belly!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    South Carolina here. When it gets hot during, I eat very little, and it has to be cold food. I eat the hell out of some cottage cheese when it's hot.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes. I end up having a lot of fruit and dairy when it's hot.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Water----Water----Water! Moving to Az has taught me that I can not leave my house w/o a bottle/glass/jug of water! I should have been doing that in MN during the summers, too. I bet I would have had many fewer headaches and dizzy spells. Give it a try and see if it helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just get cravings for anything off the grill...and beer...ice cold beer and grilled meat!