Sizing for bras- anyone do it this way?

Options
13»

Replies

• mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    http://www.liviraelingerie.com/ Follow the advice on this website. I thought I was a 44i....but I followed the sizing information on the website and was able to find a bra that truly fit. I am a 42K. You want the band fairly tight. I mean if you don't want your pantyhose to fall down they need to be tight! I ordered from this website here herroom.com. I have this one and it fits amazing and they have a great return policy. I have this one http://www.herroom.com/goddess-gd6160-kayla-banded-underwire-bra.shtml I had to return a bra and they credited the money back to my account fairly quickly. The prices are fairly reasonable.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a ton of bras from Lane Bryant. They are reasonable and really comfy. I'm a 42F or G. So I'm almost where you're at cup wise. Hope you find something that works for you.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I squeezed myself into DDD's for years because that's the biggest I could find. I even went so far as to wear the slimming body suits (Bali had this one that I loved) long before I ever needed to wear anything that would slim me as I was like 20 and weighed about 125 lbs. Finally about 8 years ago I found a company called Bravissimo while trying to find bra-sized swimwear. Bravissimo has saved me from the tears and anxiety that used to occur when I needed a bathing suit or new bra. They are only located in the UK so I've done all my shopping online or over the phone, but they are very very helpful. Bravissimo is only for girls who are a DD or larger. Their exchange and return policy is really great too, I've exchanged things like a year later because it was in my drawer with the tags still on it. Check them out, they have a video about measuring yourself, and if you talk to one of them they're more than happy to help you out too.

Also after you find the correct size, style and manufacturer that you're comfortable in then you can go on Ebay and Amazon and buy them for much cheaper prices.

Good luck : )
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do the measurement while wearing a non-padded bra, and this gets me an accurate fit. I have a big cup size (36H last time I measured), and I order bras and swimwear from Bravissimo, which I see has already been mentioned here. Yes, I think I will have to go through different sizes as I continue to lose weight, but I don't mind. Wearing a poor-fitting bra feels terrible.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    And people complain about losing boobs with weight.

I just bought two 38Bs from Target for $15 each.

ETA: I realize I'm being bratty. Sorry. But not that sorry.

Dude, I'm HOPING to lose boobage with weight loss! Boobs get in the way. I was so much happier when I was smaller chested.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it's pretty common knowledge that it's hard to get sized properly for a bra. I just read a tutorial and watched a video tutorial (youtube it, Bra Fitting 101). Short version: Measure your band around the root of the breast to the closest even number (so, a 35 would be a 36 band size), and then to measure bust, lean over with your back parallel to the floor and measure around the breast loosely. Bust minus band equals cup size (ie. less than 1": AA; 1": A; all the way to 14": N).

OK, I just reread this & I don't think you'll get the right size with this method. I agree with measuring around the root of your breast to get your band size, but don't agree with measuring around the bust while you are leaning over. When I lean over like that & measure, it adds another 3" to my bust measurement which would put me in a UK 32H or US 32K. I am currently (correctly) measuring as a UK 32FF or US 32H--a band size down & cup size up from what I'm currently wearing since I've lost some weight since I was last fitted. My point is, those extra inches from bending over & measuring would definitely put me in a cup size too large for me. You should take a look at this calculator: http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm & start with the sizes it recommends. I have been professionally fitted twice (at different weights) & both times the calculator matched what I was told. Also, the calculator adjusts your size according to how tight you want your band (although I would recommend a tight band because you need the support with a larger cup size).

Good luck!!