Pitting edema and weight lifting

Options
I'm a beginner lifting weights, and halfway through stage 1 of NRoLfW. A friend said I should give BodyPump a try thinking I'd love it, so I did, and she was right.
The next day however, I was miserably sore. I'm typically sore a day after weights, but this was *bad*. I chalked it up to the fact that I lift heavy without so much repetition and I'm just not used to it. Last night though, by the time I got home from work (desk job) my ankles, feet, calves were terribly swollen. I had a serious ankle injury in December and my ankle still swells horribly after a workout, but this was bad. I soaked my feet, elevated, and eventually I felt some relief. Today: rinse, repeat. Halfway through the work day and I'm so swollen again. The swelling on my shins is pitting slightly as well. I'm straight up freaked out when I Google this, and plan to make an appt with my primary ASAP, but I'm also thinking this could have something to do with weights and water retention.

Thoughts?
In the meantime I'm taking a rest day today. I would normally run and swim, but there's just no way :(

Replies

• mylittletribe
    Options
    Bump
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and don't notice water retention but know some people that do.....
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Pitting edema is characteristic of a ton of excess water, which can happen due to excessive sodium intake (do you drink sports drinks, watch the sodium intake if you do). I get it when I walk for long periods of time or work out for long periods of time. I usually take a natural diuretic when it starts to happen.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to you doc, sounds like you might be having some circulation issues.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are going to see your doctor. Be sure to give ALL the info: your previous ankle injury details, weight lifting details, diet, work and other daily activities, etc. If the doc just hands you a prescription for a diuretic, ask him/her to help you find out WHY you are swelling so badly. It's not from a water pill deficiency. :wink: You look very young and fit to have such an extreme amount of edema. You need answers. You may need pills for awhile, too, but you need to find the cause. Meds have side effects.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Really sore and swelling > google "DOMS" yep, you're retaining fluid (not a blood clot or CHF). Your body is trying to compensate for the muscle damage that comes with heavy lifting (this is normal). It tries to hold on to fluid to repair (build) and clean the muscle cells. It will subside when the soreness goes away. Next time try lighter weights with the higher reps. Drink plenty of water/fluids to help speed up the process and take some magnesium (at night) to prevent leg cramps.
    Happy lifting!