When you carry all your fat in your belly...

Options
foraubs
foraubs Posts: 263 Member
...are there certain exercises that assist/deter weight loss from that area?

Yes, you cannot spot reduce. In an ideal world, though, the last 20lbs would come off from the gut/hips.

I've lost 68lbs in the past 15 months, but the stomach is ... well, it's troubling.

My main forms of exercise now include interval running 3x/week and the recumbent bike.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    time to add in some strength training
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I agree with the strength training... I have lost over 2 inches off my lower belly and two inches off my waist in the past two months, and I have only lost like 1 or 2 pounds in that time, all since I got serious with my strength training. My belly is visibly lifted, although I still have a lot of work to do on my lower belly I dont cringe anymore because I know it is getting better day by day. I will probably always have stretch marks, but if my lower belly gets tighter I will be one happy girl! :)
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree :D
    time to add in some strength training
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, And i do strength training 3 times a week with 30ish+ cardio afterwards and i just cannot get rid of that belly "flap" i like to call it soo annoying
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    I'm the same, And i do strength training 3 times a week with 30ish+ cardio afterwards and i just cannot get rid of that belly "flap" i like to call it soo annoying

make sure you are taking pics of it. I used to cover it in pics because I hate it. But once I started taking pics, I realized it IS getting smaller. I will try to post, I never have in a thread but I want you both to see :)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

make sure you are taking pics of it. I used to cover it in pics because I hate it. But once I started taking pics, I realized it IS getting smaller. I will try to post, I never have in a thread but I want you both to see :)

That is a really good point, My partner says is def getting smaller but when i look at it i think nope looks the same. I did a photo in jan and another on a month ago and i couldn't see a change at all! I'm angry with my self for not taking a starting pic i didn't even think about it!

I would love to see them!

Edit: Also have tried taking measurements at home but i always find I cant do it the same way as they do it at the gym and get up with the wrong numbers. They only do your measurements once every 6 months or so you kinda get dis heartened
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    I am at work and can not figure out how to post a pic from here :( All the photo uploading sites are blocked. I will try to figure it out again here shortly, i finally got my courage up and now I cant figure it out!! lol
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. So I'm hula hooping everyday for 10 minutes everyday. I hope to lose inches.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    OK, i would appreciate you to just copy paste the link because one, these are in my underwear and two, I dont wanna see these pics every time I come to this thread! But for those with the "apron" in the front, THERE IS HOPE!

http://m1367.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/mimih1208/CYMERA_20130521_034409_zpsab53c220.jpg.html?o=1&newest=1

I still have A TON of work to do, but this is only TWO MONTHS progress since I started strength training and ab work consistantly. I am pretty happy with it. Also, this is extremely hard for me to share, so I hope you see the results that I see!

Before: 34 inch waist, 38 inch lower belly
    Last night: 30.5 inch waist, 35.5 inch lower belly

http://m1367.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/mimih1208/CYMERA_20130521_034606_zpsbe02a7c1.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Oh wow! thanks so much for posting them! you can see a huge difference!:noway: its defiantly given me hope! good job :flowerforyou:
  • spizaminator
    Options
    that is AWESOME erhower!! i aspire to be like you. i just bought some free weights and want to incorporate strength training because after beginning my cardio workouts, i feel like im not losing what i know i should be since i've also changed my diet.

any suggestions on what kind of exercises to do with free weights (ex/ how long, how many reps, any circuits?)

great job!!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    Thank you! I am at work now, when I leave in an hour I will post some more info :flowerforyou:
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I hope you see the results that I see!

Sweet mother of pearl, there certainly is a difference! And only 2 months? Holy! Well done, you!
    Can I ask you to share what you do in that time?

I work out at home .. I have 5lb & 20lb dumbells at my disposal as well as a cheaper version of a Bowflex .. and resistance bands. That's about it.

Appreciate the reply!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    It's hard for me to say exactly what I do, honestly. I switch it up quite a bit. The things I have always done were use the different weight machines at the gym and run a lot! I really wanted to start stronglifts but had no access to barbell so I started using dumbbells to do the lifts.I focus mostly on squats, overhead press,straight legged deadlifts, and bench press. My weights are not as heavy as a lot of other peoplebut I'm increasing slowly. Tomorrow I am going to post a thread with more info because I am kind of tired. But I will say, what you read a lot on here is honestly true,of you start doing compound lifts you will see a difference in your tummy area!
  • xstup1dc0rex
    Options
    I just have to say, you really inspire me. I have about 125ish lbs to lose, and seeing that there is hope to not have a super flabby "apron" is very encouraging to me. I just joined the gym today, so I'm excited to get started!!

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm interested to hear what you've done as far as working out with your journey!
  • kap1021
    kap1021 Posts: 1
    Options
    i realize this post is almost a year old but new to this site and was looking for some inspiration and exercise for losing belly fat. Although I am only 130 lbs. I would like to lose 5-7 lbs. Most of it being in my belly. I hope your still looking good and thanks for the info.