I want to Lift Heavy and build. Advice plz?

Options
Hello every body. :)
So, for over a month, I have been doing Zumba and last week I joined the Ymca, because I want to change my physique, not just lose weight. I told the trainer (that does the membership consult), that I want to strength train and focus on building muscle. She started me out on the Leg press, Leg curl, Leg extension, seated row and chest press machines. Since now completing the first week, strength training Mon, Wed, Thurs..she is meeting up with me in another week to get me over using the free weights.

I really want to build my lower body up a lot. I am over weight but I would love to be the same size but muscle.
So I know squats and dead lifts are good for lower body, are there anymore that I should really be concentrating on?

I've been doing cardio as well but I believe building muscle will help with weight loss anyway, since it will speed up my metabolism and muscle needs calories to "live"

Can you guys share some of your workout routines and possibly give me an idea of how much weight I should be lifting, as in, how much should increase with each workout, safely.

Thanks!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I have the same questions so can't wait to see replies:)
  • 2myfuture
    2myfuture Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you are interested in buying a video but the Chalean Extreme is really good for weights. Super on the shoulders! I have been doing this for almost 3 full months and not only have i lost weight but I actually have some definition! Loving it!!!
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Here is a great book that can help you tons!

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi. I imagine your trainer will have you doing low weights, high-reps when you first start free weights. In my experience, that's how they work with new lifters.

If you'd like to do some research on your own, check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women or the Stonglifts 5 X 5 site, where you can find information on lifting heavy with good form. You are correct that compound lifts like squats and deadlifts are a good start. Also, bench press, overhead press, and rows.

Remember, "lifting heavy" means lifting what is heavy for you. The idea is add a little more weight each time, but only if you can do so with good form.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of questions in that post. Its great you see the advantages of lifting heavy and beyond the word, toning! "Heavy" of course, is all relative! A good rule of thumb is to select a weight you can perform with proper posture and complete between 8-12 reps for each set you do. the last 1-2 reps should be doable but challenging. if you loose proper form, its too heavy. If you could do more, its too light. Your trainer should be able to help you out. Its good to start of somewhat slowly and woth lighter weight until you get the movements down properly. Also, it will help prevent you from getting too sore (delayed onset muscle soreness, aka DOMS)
    I dont know how much experience you have in the gym or with lifting, but the two leg exercises you mentioned are good.
    I LOVE Romanian dead lifts for my hamstrings, sumo squats for overall leg but concentrates the inner thigh area, goblet squats are great for your butt, forward lunges/rear lunges and walking lunges are overall great for the legs and butt, bridge/bridge using stability ball/ bridge on stability ball while rolling ball forward with feet, side lunges, step ups..leg extensions (my gym has a machine where you can do one leg at a time which i prefer), curtsy squats.. All of these are great leg and butt exercises..
    As far as cardio, i used to do alot and have since reduced several of my cardio session from 45-60 to 20-30 minutes with no reduction in my fitness level or cardiovascular health. I spin twice a week and that really really builds legs muscle.
    Keep your protein up to about 25% of your daily caloric intake so if you eat 2000 calories a day, eat 500 from protein which is 125 grams of protein (4 calories per gram of protein 500/4=125 grams.
    Any questions feel free to ask! Good luck and rock those weights... Oh, i am sure someone will tell you to look at strong-lifts 5x5 and new rules of lifting for women (NROLFW). I have never done either but people swear by them.
  • GoTimeBaby
    GoTimeBaby Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the fast replies!
    I'll go grab that book over the next few days. I just skimmed through the site and I think it's somewhat similar to what my trainer had said about not bothering with the machines that do muscle isolation and the machines she is has me on works the main muscle groups. She has me doing 2 sets of 8-12 reps right now but on Friday, I had up'd the weight did the two sets and bcz I was starting to fatigue, dropped it down to the weight I was at prior and did my best to finish a third set.

I'm really excited to get to the free weights! lol I'm also kind of glad I am starting off on the machines, so I'll feel a little more confident and less like a girly weakling, when I have to go over to the free weights among all the guys pushing crazy weight.

I saw an exercise called a Turkish get up, I'd like to try to get to that at some point in the future too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check out Starting Strength (great for learning technique), NROLFW, and Stronglifts 5x5 (very easy and simple plan to follow). Research and then decide which is best and give it a go :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend a beginners program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Stronglifts 5x5. I've done both and saw great results. It's great that you have a trainer but it's also not too hard to figure out on your own. Start with a manageable weight and build your way up to the heavy stuff. Good luck and have fun!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of questions in that post. Its great you see the advantages of lifting heavy and beyond the word, toning! "Heavy" of course, is all relative! A good rule of thumb is to select a weight you can perform with proper posture and complete between 8-12 reps for each set you do. the last 1-2 reps should be doable but challenging. if you loose proper form, its too heavy. If you could do more, its too light. Your trainer should be able to help you out. Its good to start of somewhat slowly and woth lighter weight until you get the movements down properly. Also, it will help prevent you from getting too sore (delayed onset muscle soreness, aka DOMS)
    I dont know how much experience you have in the gym or with lifting, but the two leg exercises you mentioned are good.
    I LOVE Romanian dead lifts for my hamstrings, sumo squats for overall leg but concentrates the inner thigh area, goblet squats are great for your butt, forward lunges/rear lunges and walking lunges are overall great for the legs and butt, bridge/bridge using stability ball/ bridge on stability ball while rolling ball forward with feet, side lunges, step ups..leg extensions (my gym has a machine where you can do one leg at a time which i prefer), curtsy squats.. All of these are great leg and butt exercises..
    As far as cardio, i used to do alot and have since reduced several of my cardio session from 45-60 to 20-30 minutes with no reduction in my fitness level or cardiovascular health. I spin twice a week and that really really builds legs muscle.
    Keep your protein up to about 25% of your daily caloric intake so if you eat 2000 calories a day, eat 500 from protein which is 125 grams of protein (4 calories per gram of protein 500/4=125 grams.
    Any questions feel free to ask! Good luck and rock those weights... Oh, i am sure someone will tell you to look at strong-lifts 5x5 and new rules of lifting for women (NROLFW). I have never done either but people swear by them.

Ummmm, can I hire you?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Check out Starting Strength (great for learning technique), NROLFW, and Stronglifts 5x5 (very easy and simple plan to follow). Research and then decide which is best and give it a go :)

^^^^ this

you can download the stronglifts 5x5 programme for free, just go to their website
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    As long as you're doing squats and DLs you're doing it right; by far the best and most popular compound movements out there for lower body hypertrophy/strength.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
  • GoTimeBaby
    GoTimeBaby Posts: 27
    Options
    Also, realizing it varies, how long before you can see visible progress?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    As long as you're doing squats and DLs you're doing it right; by far the best and most popular compound movements out there for lower body hypertrophy/strength.

I'd add lunges and step ups to those too!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Starting Strength program for several weeks and love it. I have the eBook and it's super handy to have with me in the weight room :)
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ^^
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Also, realizing it varies, how long before you can see visible progress?

Don't do that to yourself. it's a bad habit that everyone does.

Get your head right. Exercise and eat right. One day, you'll slip on a pair of jeans, and they'll feel loose. Or you'll notice that you have more general energy during the day. It's not sudden, it's just over time it happens.

I think I love you. You have no idea how badly I needed to hear that. High five. Or *kitten* smack. Whichever you prefer.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later