Lost Weight Eating Unhealthy, Why?

Options
After eating way over my calories and a bunch of unhealthy food for the past two weeks (had trouble sticking to my diet during finals and graduation), I went on the scale today to find myself down over 2 lbs. I'm thrilled, but I'll admit I'm confused. I figure it is either water weight, since school food is pumped full of salt. Or, I was eating too few calories and jumping up my calorie intake led to some weight loss. These are just random guesses though. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Hmm, do you do any strength training which decreased over finals? Perhaps your brain was working so hard that it burned off 2 lbs. xD
  • moontenshi23
    moontenshi23 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to the gym the last week or so. So yes, I wasn't weight training.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe you ate higher protein/fat and dropped carbs. Maybe you didn't eat as much as you thought.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Or, I was eating too few calories and jumping up my calorie intake led to some weight loss. These are just random guesses though. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking this. I was eating too few calories since August then plateaued in January. I then upped my calories to 1500 in March and lost a bit but still stuck to the same 1-2lb range. 4 days ago I decided to eat at maintenance for a bit (netting 1800) and lo & behold, I have lost 3.4lbs since then. I don't eat clean either, I just eat what I want and try to stick to my macros as best I can.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's probably a combination of not exercise (release the water retention that is caused from exercise) and your probably regulated some of your hormones by eating more which then release water weight.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's probably a combination of not exercise (release the water retention that is caused from exercise) and your probably regulated some of your hormones by eating more which then release water weight.

I agree with this. When I want to look my best and drop water weight I stop working out for a couple of days so my body will release the water its retaining.