My doctor vs MyFitnessPal and calories

Replies

• I had the same question. I am on a medication that basically causes me to need about 400-500 calories less than I'd normally need. I'm 4'11, so what I need to eat to maintain a healthy weight is only around 1200 calories. After gaining almost 30 pounds on medication, I figured I'd start to lose weight if I ate around 700-800 calories a day. It definitely started to work.

However, I consulted with my doctor yesterday, and she told me I could use a diet/fitness program to try to get healthier as long as I was eating at least 1000 calories per day. Yet, this site recommends I eat 1200, which is what I was eating before medication in order to maintain a healthy weight.

I think this site is not designed to take unique situations into consideration (such as illness, medication, special dietary needs), so if you trust your doctor, I'd say medical advice is probably more valuable than a generic tool the internet offers. I have been told that unless you are hundreds of pounds overweight or have a medical issue, no doctor will recommend anyone eat under 1,000 calories per day. Mine told me I was actually sending my body into starvation mode, even if I wasn't dropping weight to indicate that, and my health would become fragile before the scale went down. Oddly, I'm using this site to make sure I eat *more* so I can lose weight and be healthy.

Some people do not need 1200 calories a day. If you're a smaller female with a slow metabolism, you may actually only maintain your weight at that caloric intake. You shouldn't force yourself to replace calories you burn...but those who consume less than 800 calories per day are at a place where anorexia becomes an issue. I'd say to do your best to reach that 1,000 calorie mark with healthy foods, and you'll stay on track. Many people are on 1,000 calorie diets for a variety of reasons. Not all people are "average". :)

Good luck to you!!

*Hugs*,
    *~ Alayna
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    I don't know your stats(age, height etc) so sometimes, 900-1100 calories is okay. But I'm not sure about not eating back those calories from exercise

Ask. Have her explain it to you and if it doesn't sound right, tell her. Doctor's don't know everything. Do what you think is best, if it doesn't hurt you to follow her advice, I don't see why not.
    But I still urge you to find out her reasonings
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    You need to choose who you're going to listen to.

If you want to listen to your doctor then just use MFP as a tool to track calories and ignore the warnings.

If you want to listen to MFP then don't go to your doctor any more.

I can't tell you who is right. You have to make that choice yourself.

Smart answer!!

You are paying your doctor, so if you don’t like his recommendation and prefer a bunch of opinions from strangers that don't know your true situation, then go for it. I wouldn’t.

And I would like to add this: maybe decrease your workouts so you don't burn too many calories. Concentrate in strength training to keep your muscles and light cardio. Above all eat healthy.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    You need to choose who you're going to listen to.

If you want to listen to your doctor then just use MFP as a tool to track calories and ignore the warnings.

If you want to listen to MFP then don't go to your doctor any more.

I can't tell you who is right. You have to make that choice yourself.

Yeah, I worded that wrong..I expect no one to tell me what to do. I just really wanted to know if there were people who weren't eating all of their exercise calories back that were having steady weight loss still.
  • smalls9686
    The problem is that eating low calories like that doesn't teach you how to healthfully coexist with food, which is something you're going to have to learn to do if you want to keep it off. In my extensive personal dieting experience, any drastic swings one way or the other (too low calories or binge-level high) sets off an equal and opposite reaction. So if you eat too little, eventually you'll overcompensate to the other extreme as your body tries to find an equilibrium. You'll be most successful long term if you figure out how to live with food in the middle of the spectrum and just eat the way you'll need to eat to maintain a thinner you for the rest of your life. It's better than trying a "get thin quick and figure the rest out later" approach which rarely works for long.

Good luck whatever you decide!

I hear ya, as I have had a LONG and UNHEALTHY relationship with both food and exercise as a former E/D recover. Balance I know is key...I just gotta find it. Thanks =-)
  • smalls9686
    Is this doctors advice part of the "medically supervised" weight loss program? I think if you have lap-band surgery you will be on a very restricted diet so this might be to see if you can adhere to a very low cal diet. Talk to your doctor and ask why so low and not eating back your cals.

Nope, it's completely separate they don't do Lap-bands.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Your doctor knows you better than we do and better than some generic online calculator does. Trust him/her. Or get a second opinion.

But when it comes to the advice of a medical degree vs a website, always go with the medical degree.
  • smalls9686
    [/quote]

Smart answer!!

You are paying your doctor, so if you don’t like his recommendation and prefer a bunch of opinions from strangers that don't know your true situation, then go for it. I wouldn’t.

[/quote]

Yes, because clearly that was what I was going for. No need to be an *kitten*.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    In answer to your question: I was losing body mass and increased calories. I also ate back more exercise calories, still losing.
    - I would go with your Dr., I'm sure they will adjust you as you go along. Sounds like you are being monitored closely. They know more about YOU than anyone on this site. :bigsmile:
  • smalls9686
    Sorry if I some how gave you or anyone else the impression that I thought that your random opinion was "better" than a professional. I simply wanted to know if anyone had succees with NOT eating all their exercise calories back because I hear "the sky is falling" about it every day on this site when ANYONE says they aren't doing it.
  • smalls9686
    In answer to your question: I was losing body mass and increased calories. I also ate back more exercise calories, still losing.
    - I would go with your Dr., I'm sure they will adjust you as you go along. Sounds like you are being monitored closely. They know more about YOU than anyone on this site. :bigsmile:

Thank you, it was awesome to get a nice response after a string of passive aggressive ones on a SUPPORT WEBSITE! SMDH
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    For crying out loud, why would you listen to a bunch of idiots on the internet instead of your doctor? Why bother seeing a doctor then?

For the record, I have never eaten back exercise calories. Not one. I followed my doctor's instructions. You should too.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    I have a serious issue on my hands my doctor has me on a 900-1100 calorie diet MFP wants me not to go under 1200. However, on days I exercise which is 4-6 days a week and I burn 500-800 and MFP wants me to eat back all of those calories. My doctor (who does specialize in weight loss)says no! She says of course if I feel hungry eat, but I should not "force myself" to eat all of them back if I am not hungry just because "the computer tells me so." But I have seen so many post that my weight lost will stall which it seems like it has. I am down 16 pounds my first month but in the last 2 weeks I have lost 4 so most of the weight I lost was in the first few weeks. I am really concerned that my weight lost will stall. My body fat is dropping so I am not losing muscle which is good. It is really hard to eat back that much calories.

So the question really isn't who to listen to, but more does anyone NOT eat all their exercise calories back and still have steady weight loss?

Medical doctors are NOT trained nutritionists. I would as soon allow my doctor to dictate calories to me as my dentist!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Before I switched to a steady caloric intake no matter what the exercise I had, I was regularly NOT eating my exercise calories back, and dropping weight like a stone. Since the change over, the landslide is slowing down, but so has my exercise (Being a student on campus makes the school gym that much more convenient, and since school is out right now, I'm not on campus as much.)

Even so, most days I struggle to hit my "goal", and I'm still loosing.

I know several of my friends list either don't count their exercise calories (post the exercise, then edit the calorie burn to 1), or don't eat back anywhere NEAR their exercise calories (Most have at least half of the exercise calories left when they close out their diaries.) And, as far as I can see we are all loosing - inches at least, but most are showing losses on the scale as well.

Hope this helps.
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    I'd go with your doctor. He's the one with all the training, not all the people on here who pretend to be experts! (that's not a dig at you, that's a dig at everyone who seems to think they know best with no professional training whatsoever...)

As for eating back exercise calories. People on an average diet need to eat them back to keep their net calories above their bmr to prevent stalling, but you're eating below that anyway on a medically supervised so I don't think that applies to you. :)
    Since I think mfp over estimates the calories burned anyway, I don't eat mine back unless I'm hungry, and then I only eat half back.
    Of course if low cal is affecting your work outs - making you too tired to exercise, or making you light headed while you do - then you should probably eat them back :)

Remember that mfp is just a weight loss tool targeted at the general public and they have to protect themselves by not advocating super low calorie diets and such and while good is not always appropriate for everyone. Your doctor is giving you advice specifically for you.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    I have a serious issue on my hands my doctor has me on a 900-1100 calorie diet MFP wants me not to go under 1200. However, on days I exercise which is 4-6 days a week and I burn 500-800 and MFP wants me to eat back all of those calories. My doctor (who does specialize in weight loss)says no! She says of course if I feel hungry eat, but I should not "force myself" to eat all of them back if I am not hungry just because "the computer tells me so." But I have seen so many post that my weight lost will stall which it seems like it has. I am down 16 pounds my first month but in the last 2 weeks I have lost 4 so most of the weight I lost was in the first few weeks. I am really concerned that my weight lost will stall. My body fat is dropping so I am not losing muscle which is good. It is really hard to eat back that much calories.

So the question really isn't who to listen to, but more does anyone NOT eat all their exercise calories back and still have steady weight loss?

Just an fyi, I had a friend who went through this. She adhered to her instructions, and was told she had to lose X amount on her own for her insurance to cover it. She did. Upon doing this, she was informed that they wouldn't be covering the surgery because she was losing just fine without it. At the rate you're losing, it's incredibly unlikely that your insurance would approve the surgery. Just telling you to prepare you. :flowerforyou:
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    I'd go with your doctor. He's the one with all the training, not all the people on here who pretend to be experts! (that's not a dig at you, that's a dig at everyone who seems to think they know best with no professional training whatsoever...)

As for eating back exercise calories. People on an average diet need to eat them back to keep their net calories above their bmr to prevent stalling, but you're eating below that anyway on a medically supervised so I don't think that applies to you. :)
    Since I think mfp over estimates the calories burned anyway, I don't eat mine back unless I'm hungry, and then I only eat half back.
    Of course if low cal is affecting your work outs - making you too tired to exercise, or making you light headed while you do - then you should probably eat them back :)

Remember that mfp is just a weight loss tool targeted at the general public and they have to protect themselves by not advocating super low calorie diets and such and while good is not always appropriate for everyone. Your doctor is giving you advice specifically for you.
    ^this!! MFP cannot be responsible for people developing issues or eating disorders...I believe that's why they have the generic 1200 cal situation and have the 'eat your calories' bit..because if I really wanted to, I could burn my 1200 in working out then have nothing for normal physiological function (brain, heart, etc). I don't think eating tiny amounts like 6-700 calories a day is ok, but your doc said 9-1000 is ok...and I would trust him. I think it's rediculous to try to cram food down your throat to make up for working out (and what's the point in working out to burn calories if you just have to eat them back?!)...I'm new here, but I never eat my calories back, not saying that if I was particularly hungry I wouldn't tap into them, but I don't force myself to eat them.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    When I told my Dr. I was working on losing weight, he sat down and asked several questions.
    1. How many calories are you eating a day?
    (about 1600, give or take)

2. What exercises are you doing, since you have severe back/hip/knee problems?
    (Chair exercises, resistance bands, small hand weights and some body weight exercises. I have a stability ball for when I lose more weight and feel more stable to sit on it to exercise.)

3. Are you watching your protein, salt, fiber, sugar, and potassium levels?
    (Yes, as a matter of fact, I am. Because of taking 3 BP meds, I try to make sure I am eating enough potassium, I am not big on salt, so watch for the hidden salt in things.)

4. What else are you doing
    (I am taking it slow and easy. I try to do cardio 5 times a week for at least 12 minutes, right now. When I get up to go to the rest room, I do 5 wall pushups. When I come back from said room, I do 5 wall squats. In getting up from wheelchair to get a little walking in while in apartment, I do at least 2 sitting to standing squats, and do the reverse when sitting back down.) No, it's not a lot, but it's more than I've done for several years. I try to take the wheelchair out *wheel walking* at least 2-3 times a week.)

I have more than 200 pounds to lose, and we tried to get me approved for Qysemia, which is a weight loss pill. It was going to be very temporary, to lose about 50-75 pounds, to get me to at least a slightly healthier weight. I am on Medicaid and it refuses to pay 150 dollars a month for 3-6months, and will pay more than $4000 a month for all the meds I need, such as asthma meds, 3 BP meds, 1 water pill, an inhaler, pain pills, muscle relaxant, anti-depressant and sleeping pill. Even the person I talked to agreed; this is dumb. $150/month for up to 6 months verses the $4,000/month for the last 2 years, and who knows how many years to come.

All this to say...if your doctor is not asking you the right questions, if you feel he's not listening, or that the information is wrong, it's time to decide what to do. Do you keep the Dr, and start asking HIM the questions and making certain he gets you the information, or gets you to someone who has it; or do your do some research, and find a doctor who can answer those questions and help you to lose the fat in a healthy manner. In the end, it is something only you can decide, and I know it isn't easy. Do some research for yourself about the "starvation mode" and what it really means for you and how it will/can affect YOUR weight loss. I talked to my Dr. about BMR/TDEE and actually taught HIM some new things. He did some research and is being able to use it for others needing to lose weight, large or small amounts. I showed him MFP, and again, he did his own research and said to be careful who you listen to, but that there is some good info here. Said that keeping track of what you are eating, your exercise and water is a good idea, even if you have no weight to lose.

Don't accept status quo from your doctor. I have with previous ones, and my health deteriorated after taking some of their suggestions. I have a good doctor here in the States, and when I get to Canada with my husband, he has a good doctor he is already talking to about me who is looking into some of the things I may need to help me, such a physical therapy, a chair exercise group at their clinic, and other such things. What I'm telling you is, there are good doctors out there, and there is one who is right for you. It's just going to take time from you to find that Dr...or perhaps to help the Dr. you have become that Dr. for you.

I will keep you in my thoughts.

By the way, as far as exercise calories go, if I am hungry after exercise, I eat them, if I am not, I don't. I don't force myself to eat when not hungry anymore.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member

Medical doctors are NOT trained nutritionists. I would as soon allow my doctor to dictate calories to me as my dentist!

I know I have been recommended diets by doctors in the past that were totally unmaintainable or even livable at very low calorie deficits. I cannot personally maintain a VLCD. I don't think they usually take the time to recommend a specialized to your needs diet. I have not experienced that with the doctors I have seen. The VLCD recommendation was not because of any other health issue than my weight. It may be different at a weight loss clinic. I honestly don't know. I don't know why a normal diet would not work if you do not have any major health problems.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    That just seems really unhealthy to me. I've always heard never to go under 1200, and that is the minimum your body needs to survive. Any less than that, and it'll go into starvation mode. Get a second opinion.