Newbie Starter Weight Loss Plan for people 50+ pounds over

Options
It can be a little overwhelming when you are trying to lose weight. Everyone is telling you so many different things and it's information overload. How many percentages of what? How do I figure out what to eat, especially when I'm out with friends or family? How much will I need to workout and how am I going to fit that in my schedule? How should I use this app anyway? Isn't there something simple I can do?

Here is what I did to start out on my own weight loss journey. Maybe this can help you get started on your own.

Three easy steps:
1. Keep track of all the food you eat. (Don't worry about that gum, that 5 calorie vitamin or those little things. Just track your meals and snacks.)
2. You can eat whatever you want as long as you don't eat more than your calorie limit.
3. If you really want to eat something that will put you over your calorie limit, then you have to earn those extra calories first. How? Exercise. Want to eat that piece of cake? Take a walk around your neighborhood. Craving an extra slice of pizza? Do one of those online fitness videos first.

How do I figure out my calorie limit?
When you set up your profile on the app, set your activity level to Sedentary. Start out with a weight loss goal of 1/2 pound a week and follow the limit MFP sets for you. I know, I know. You want to lose all the weight now, but do the lowest for a week at least first just to get used to it. Then drop to 1 pound per week. Then, as you get used to the lower calories, you can drop lower.

But shouldn't I be exercising regularly?
80% of weight loss is what and how much you eat. I lost 30 pounds just doing the above. If you want to exercise regularly, then go for it. If you are anything like me, eventually you will start a regular routine, but this plan is primarily about getting used to tracking your food and learning to eat less.

I can eat whatever I want? But aren't there bad foods I should avoid at all costs? Shouldn't I be on a special diet?
Haven't you tried diets before? Did they work? Or did you just end up craving all the foods you were told not to eat until you eventually gave in and ate them? Unless you have an allergy to a certain type of food, the issue right now isn't which foods are good and which are bad. You have time to demonize that stuff later. The primary issue is that you eat too much, period. The first thing you need to learn is what an actual serving size is of those foods you love. That microwave meal you ate for lunch? It was actually three servings? The food you had at your mom's house last night? That one meal was your entire calorie limit for the day. If you feel that you must avoid certain foods, then do it, but that is your choice to make. Overall eating "bad" foods in moderation is the key right now.

But what about when I go out or go to a friend's house? How do I figure out how many calories are in the food I ate?
You just guess. You don't need to be exact, just in the ball park. Look up the foods you ate and if there's a wide range of calories, pick either whatever sounds closest to what you ate or something in the middle range of all those calories. Figure out quantities using your hand. (You can Google guides for this, but basically something the size of your fist is about a cup, your palm is about 3 oz, your thumb is one ounce and your thumb tip is one teaspoon.) It gets easier as you go along so don't worry about being exact right now. You will learn as you go and figure it all out.

I started working out regularly. Do I eat my exercise calories?
Are you still hungry? Then yes. If not, then no.

I didn't eat all my calories and I'm not hungry. Should I eat more anyway to reach my goal?
If you aren't hungry, why would you eat more?

Do I always have to stick to my calorie limit? It's so hard when I go to parties or out on weekends.
If you want, you can give yourself one cheat day a week, but no more than one day a week. Also remember that a cheat day is not a license to see how many calories you can shove in your face. You still have to track them and you should avoid eating more than 2200 calories max. (Why 2200? Well, they say 2000 is generally the maximum number of calories an adult needs so it's that, plus an extra couple for that candy bar I know you've been eyeing.)

Why is this for people 50 pounds overweight and more?
You can try it if you're less, but the closer you are to your goal weight, the less effective this may be. You could use it just for practice using the app to at least get started and see how you do, but as you get closer to your goal weight, your body will try harder to hold on to those last few pounds so you'll need to start getting stricter with your plan.

The goal of this plan?
This is just a way to get you started. I tried this when I started because I'd always felt so overwhelmed by all the dieting rules and I just wanted something simple and easy to follow. But this is just a jumping off point.
Eventually you'll start to notice that some foods you can only eat in very small portions and aren't very filling even though they are high in calories, while other foods you can eat a bowl full of and be full, but barely have hit 300 calories. You'll start to learn through eating what a proper serving size is, what kind of healthy substitutes or alterations you can make (hummus in place of mayo on your sandwich or instead of ranch dressing as a veggie dip, ordering burgers without mayo and cheese to cut 200 calories, lower sodium chips). You may even start planning ahead for days you know you are going to go over by eating low calorie earlier in the day and planning a heavy workout to give yourself more calories to use.
Then you'll start reading more about nutrition and different foods and start tracking your macros more. And then finally you'll move on to another meal plan and have a regular workout routine for yourself. But you have to start somewhere and if you aren't sure where, why not here?

Good luck and I hope you end up having as much or even more success than me!

Replies

• KariSoVery157
    KariSoVery157 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very well written Wendy! Thanks girl!!!
  • simplysera
    simplysera Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    awsum post!
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    good job
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Very sound advice from a success story. :)
  • kristyash60
    Options
    I am so glad you added me as a MFP friend! You have the best advice for everyone including the newbies like me. Thanks so much for the encouragement and I hope I am as successful as you are! ~Kristy
  • Smallbluepebble
    Smallbluepebble Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Simple, common sense advice that will work - thank you x

:flowerforyou:
  • briggsf
    Options
    Thanks, I needed that, it does seem overwhelming at times.
  • blessed2balive
    Options
    This is really some great information here, thanks for taking the time to post! Some of it I have already started doing--thought I'm not sure I'll ever be able to switch over to hummus--but still have room for improvement! Have a great day
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This is really some great information here, thanks for taking the time to post! Some of it I have already started doing--thought I'm not sure I'll ever be able to switch over to hummus--but still have room for improvement! Have a great day

Hummus is just an example. I'm sure you'll end up finding something useful for you. Good luck!!
  • meaningful99
    Options
    This is awesome. Thanks for writing this! It's easy to become obsessive and overthink everything. You are an inspiration!
  • Ronnie715
    Ronnie715 Posts: 29
    Options
    This helped a lot! Thanks for this!
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good advice thank you for taking the time to write this i am sure it will help loads x
  • fenna3107
    fenna3107 Posts: 46
    Options
    Great post! Thanks!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Great advice. Fortunately I followed most of it without knowing when I started :happy:
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Fortunately I followed most of it without knowing when I started :happy:

I started doing some of this way back in October. Except I wasn't actually counting calories or logging. But, I was working on being calorie aware. So, I would sort of know the calories in a bowl of pasta and sauce for example.
  • lgdeezy
    lgdeezy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! great info!
  • mholiday82
    mholiday82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    GREAT INFO I NEEDED THAT. I THOUGHT IF I LOSE THE WEIGHT IF I DONT STRENGH TRAIN I WILL HAVE FLABBY ARMS AND STUFF. SO IF I WALK 2 MILES A DAY WITH THE KIDS HOW COULD I FIT STRENGH TARINING IN. WHAT CAN I DO AT HOME. I WAS PAYING A MEMBERSHIP SOMEWHERE I WANT TO DO IT AT HOME. I NEED TO WITH 3 KIDS AND I WORK 2 JOBS AND ITS 3RD SHIFT
  • noz1982
    noz1982 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    after getting no where the last 6 months and still at 197 pounds I am going to try your sound advice.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great post It will help so many new people and me also!
  • jazzchic23
    Options
    Good read to make sure I am getting started off on the right foot. (And how did you know I was eyeing that candy bar! lol.)