Always overshooting the sugar level .. Help ?

goalie234
goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
Hey guys ,

Just started using this site and i have a daily calorie requirement of 1300 .. But by breakfast i overshoot my stipulated sugar levels column for the day ! Like i eat a sandhwhich with onions tomato and some mint leaves and green tea with half tsp sugar .. everything adds up and sugar limit for the day is crossed ? What to do ?

Im new to this .. Sorry if i sound dumb :)
Thank you

Replies

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    You don't sound dumb. I found the sugar level very low, I put it over one day with milk and a piece of fruit. Since then I ignore it. Unless you have a medical reason to watch sugar then I wouldn't worry so much about it. Everything else is usually under for me and I'm losing weight just fine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to do so, don't even bother tracking it. Sugar is just a subset of carbs.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    I'm new too, and I'm having the same problem, I find by 9pm I'm still only half way through my 1200 calorie limit because I'm trying to steer away from anything with sugar?? Obviously this isn't working... why should I stay away from oranges and bananas?! (never apples because of all the FIBRE! haha.) I figure, as long as I'm eating healthy sugars (fruits & veggies) and don't go too much over my "limit" it should be fine.

You should try using a sugar substitute, like stevia or splenda (the generic "no name" brand ones seem to be pretty similar if you can find them). I'm one of the unlucky ones who experiences the weird aftertaste with the sugar substitutes, but I still use 'em anyways. They have way fewer calories and really help cut down those sugar values!
  • goalie234
    goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
    Thank u so much ! For the replies ..

I have no medical issues so i guess ill just continue with my total calorie count and not bother about the sugar column ..

@snowboard -- i really just have a tsp of sugar with my two cups of green tea the whole day ..and no other direct sugar the whole day .. So i guess ill just stick to regular sugar :) thanks anyway ..
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Two options - change your limit or don't track it :-

Dial in more sugar allowance at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

or select what you track at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings (top left)
  • mummamckay
    mummamckay Posts: 12 Member
    I go over every singe day too, just from fruit. So I figure it can't be too bad and ignore it xx
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    I go over too. Some days more than other. Handy hint. Some fruit can be added as zero sugar count or something like that. My trainer always says don't worry about the sugar in fruit/veg but everything else. It can be hard because milk has a lot of sugar in it, unless you like soy/almond etc. etc. Me, I stick with my skim milk, its not like I have a gallon of it every day.

I think I might 'hide' my sugar from my diary again. It's just another number that does my head in!