Diet help?

Options
I'm sorry to bombard you with all these questions, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track!
Is what I'm eating ok? It has gone over my calorie goal (so I'm gonna go workout) but I don't really see how I've eaten THAT much!

Breakfast: low fat English muffin with peanut butter
Cup of tea with one sugar
Morning tea: carrot and celery sticks
Lunch: salad
Afternoon tea: low fat choc muffin with cup of tea
Dinner: chicken and salad with chips
Dessert: Bavarian

Other snacks: apple, herb tart (well sorta a herb tart)

Exercise: volleyball training, (gonna go for a workout soon)

Personally, I think I've eaten well, except for the Bavarian, I've eaten lots of fruit, had a salad instead of a sandwich and I just don't know how I've gone over my calorie goal, eaten 1450 calories!!!

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    You probably went over because you had 4 dessert-type items. Instead, eat more protein and vegetables. For example, one of my meals would be brown rice with lentils, butternut squash and kale -- low calorie, has protein, and fills me up for hours. It doesn't make sense to starve yourself on low calorie foods and salad for a meal and then eat treats. Good luck, you'll get it down.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Muffins ?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not public so I cant really give meaningful comments. But YOU can analyse it and see where your biggest calorie hitters are.

I'm guessing:

How much peanut butter?
    What was on the salad in terms of dressing?
    Chips with your dinner?
    A low fat muffin isn't the best choice for a snack, probably really high in sugar and carbs.
    Are you recording the fruit - too much of that can soon mount up.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts:

What do you mean by 'salad'? This is a pretty vague term and some salads can be very high in fat/calories depending on ingredients and dressings.

Just because your muffins claim to be low fat doesn't mean they're healthy or low calorie. It's probably full of refined carbs and high in sugar. Better to go for wholegrain than 'low fat'.

Chips. Not exactly healthy or the best choice if you're trying to cut calories.

Bavarian. Well you got that one already!

If you're going to cut calories you need to ensure that what you eat gives the best nutrition and fills you up so try and stay away from the baked goods.
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You don't actually seem to have eaten that much and yet still got to 1400 calories.

I reiterate the others - muffins, chips, Bavarian (no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound healthy!).
    I treated myself to an English muffin with my egg this morning and it was 174 calories, the egg on the other hand was 65, and which do you think had the greater goodness?

Cut down on the empty carbs and sugar, up your vegetables, be careful with the fruit.
    Try oatcakes or Ryvita instead of white wheat carbs.
  • 00Simone00
    00Simone00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes - the best thing to do is to try to "eat clean" as they say - ie foods from the ground, tree,etc not processed. They turn out to be the most filling and generally are cheaper in cals. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    from your menu i would say not enough protein. what are your macros set to? MFP sets protein fairly low, at 15%