What to do...shin splints :( WWYD?

Options
Last year I started c25k, on the 2nd run my husband pushed us too far and ever since then I've had shin splint problems. I've never seen anyone about them because I've read nothing can really be done? Just rest.

Between then and now I've had 2 lots of 3 months rest and it makes no difference (obviously I don't feel them when I'm not exercising)

I'm currently doing 30 DS and I'm on day 8 of level 1 and feeling great except the shin splints flare up doing the cardio. I have just started (as in on my 2nd day) of lifting heavy. I'm wondering if I should just drop the 30 DS and go hard with the weights seeing as they won't cause my shin splints to flare up? But then I'll feel guilty and a bit of a failure for not sticking to the 30DS

What would you do? Very frustrating!

Replies

• KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    don't aggravate your shin splints. if you really want to do some form of cardio until they heal do water aerobics or just plain old swimming.
    I have periostitis and I am not allowed to do ANY cardio that does not involve water. I am not even supposed to walk up and down stairs but unfortunately I have to just to get around my house. They are better than they used to be but I have had this issue since I was in high school and have been told by two docs they wish they could just put me a a wheel chair until it heals but as soon as I step out of it they will come back which is why I need to lose weight.
    If they persist even after resting for an adequate amount of time I would definitely go see a dr. only they can determine what the cause actually is and what treatment should be.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    1. Get fitted for shoes at a store that specializes in running.

2. Work on strengthening your calves. Shin injuries are negatively correlated with calf circumference. I do weighted calf raises (me + 90 lb), but you could try one-legged calf raises, too--stand on one foot, and get up on the toes of said foot. It trains your balance and strengthens your calves simultaneously.

3. Give yourself sufficient rest between runs, and do not increase your speed or mileage too fast.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should of gone into a bit more detail

My shoes are fine, I don't run any more (because of the splints) so the only cardio I do exercise wise is the cardio on the 30DS. Using a pool isn't an option atm (not to mention wearing swimwear in public is a no go for me lol).

Calf circumference is 35.75 cm...not too bad I don't think?
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Sorry I should of gone into a bit more detail

My shoes are fine, I don't run any more (because of the splints) so the only cardio I do exercise wise is the cardio on the 30DS. Using a pool isn't an option atm (not to mention wearing swimwear in public is a no go for me lol).

Calf circumference is 35.75 cm...not too bad I don't think?

Um, that depends on how much of that is muscle. What you want is plenty of muscle in your lower legs so that your muscle absorbs the shock of landing rather than your bones and tendons and ligaments.

When you say your shoes are "fine", do you mean you got them at a running store? If so, how many miles ago was it? You are supposed to replace them every 500 miles. But even if they are relatively new doesn't mean they fit you right. I've had new shoes before that caused me shin splints because they did not offer the right kind of support (I need a stiffer shoe).

Are you a heel striker, mid foot striker, or toe?

And how many steps per minute do you take? You should aim for 170 or so (more steps means less impact).
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I've answered this in the other thread so this is just a copy and paste answer below with some revisions but it's the same for the most part.

If you continue to run through your pain, it can become permanent with the only relief being surgery. Takes a real stubborn individual to destroy your legs that way though. Don't run through the pain.

Things you can do to protect your legs
    You need to build muscles in your legs. Joggers don't understand how important building muscles in the legs can be. The more muscles in your leg, the softer your landings will be. To get a better appreciation for your legs, you need to understand that your legs are dealing with around 300 pounds of pressure per leg for every impact strike when jogging. If you are running, it can be as high as 600 pounds. The number comes from Gravity multiplied by your Weight. A lot of this weight impact goes towards your knee and sometimes your shins depending on how you land. You want more of it to go towards your muscles. Build more muscles.

Never jog on hard surfaces such as concrete, as all the impact from your weight will be directed back at your legs. You need to jog on something soft to absorb some of the pressure so you'll want to jog on gravel, sand, and specially made running tracks. Neighborhood grass isn't good either. Grass on a real soccer field or golf course is very good. Dirt trails are also ideal. Treadmills are made for running too.

Last thing you can do is buy the right shoe for your type of feet depending on the size of your arch to help with the impact from landing on your foot. Just buying a "new" shoe does nothing if you purchased the wrong one. There are 3 types of arches. Link below for a better explanation of arch types.

http://munfitnessblog.com/how-to-buy-a-good-running-shoes-according-to-your-feet-arch/

Did you buy the right type of shoe?
    foot-arches-diagnosis-to-buy-running-shoes.jpg
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Never jog on hard surfaces such as concrete, as all the impact from your weight will be directed back at your legs. You need to jog on something soft to absorb some of the pressure so you'll want to jog on gravel, sand, and specially made running tracks. Neighborhood grass isn't good either. Grass on a real soccer field or golf course is very good. Dirt trails are also ideal. Treadmills are made for running too.

You made some good points (in fact, some of the same points that were made above your post), but this thing just makes no sense. People run on concrete all the time and live to tell the tale. Not all of us have access to dirt trails. People run entire marathons on paved roads. The way you do it is by getting some good equipment (shoes) and training smart (resistance, rest, technique).

There are ways of working around impact injuries that do not require moving into Ted Kaczynski's cabin :)
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Heal striking caused my shin spints, switching to shoes with minimal drop (very low heals, not a huge wedge of foam under the heal) promoted a mid foot landing while running and I haven't had shin splints in years (ever since I ditched my Nike Free's for New Balance Minimus). Something to consider.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

You made some good points (in fact, some of the same points that were made above your post), but this thing just makes no sense. People run on concrete all the time and live to tell the tale. Not all of us have access to dirt trails. People run entire marathons on paved roads. The way you do it is by getting some good equipment (shoes) and training smart (resistance, rest, technique).

There are ways of working around impact injuries that do not require moving into Ted Kaczynski's cabin :)

I believe the people who can run on concrete have a normal arch. I can't jog on concrete because I have flat feet. I get knee pain after a few miles. I jog 4 miles a day here.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many people getting injured attempting to do 30 Day Shred, most of the injuries are joint related. I imagine it's a combination of not taking rest days (the program was not intended to be done for 30 consecutive days) and poor form due to trying to keep up with the girls on the video.

Since it is such a high impact workout, I would strongly suggest shelving that program until you are healed.
  • drileyf
    drileyf Posts: 1
    Options
    Taping your shins/calves can be an effective way to relieve some of the stress and pain. Talk with an Athletic Trainer, not a fitness trainer, and ask to be taught how to tape for s p. it's a simple tape job and you can do it yourself. No one has mentioned pre and post work out icing using ice cups - this can also be very helpful to do so ask the ATC for instructions on that treatment option. Strengthening your legs, stretching the shin area, well fit shoes or orthotics and symptomatic treatment should be daily. If the pain increases you should consider seeing an ortho to rule out stress fracture.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I have had shin splints for YEARS!! and mine are permanent. When i first got them it was from doing too much too soon. Shortly after ward i started taking Cipro ( antibiotic) and after 2 doses i could barely walk. Found out that the medicine can cause permanent injury to shins or achilles if you are already having some issues with them. ( rare side effect ). So i just deal with mine. I jog / run once a week normally just to keep in shape for some 5 ks i like to participate in. I dont run several days in a row and after wards i ice them several times a day for a few days.

Ever since i started lifting weights ( and losing weight ) and making my legs stronger they dont bother me as much any more when i run. However, i have noticed Big Time when i wear crappy shoes....like $2.00 flip flops that offer no arch support my shins will kill me for days. So its important to wear good shoes ALL the time.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ah yes ladyark. I wore flipflops all through summer and they wrecked one of my feet, still gets quite sore in the joint. I think I will just have to go see an ortho? and get seen to properly. At least then they can help with strapping, what not to do etc.

All the advice in here has been very helpful :) I did keep running through the pain (I am very stubborn) so that probably did not help, until I could barely walk after the runs. I did try strapping (was from a youtube vid though) and it did nothing, I would also ice after running, haven't done so while doing the 30DS.

I'm thinking I might keep doing the 30DS but will do different cardio movements that don't aggravate my shins. When I've finished the 30DS I will be focusing only on weights
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Ah yes ladyark. I wore flipflops all through summer and they wrecked one of my feet, still gets quite sore in the joint. I think I will just have to go see an ortho? and get seen to properly. At least then they can help with strapping, what not to do etc.

All the advice in here has been very helpful :) I did keep running through the pain (I am very stubborn) so that probably did not help, until I could barely walk after the runs. I did try strapping (was from a youtube vid though) and it did nothing, I would also ice after running, haven't done so while doing the 30DS.

I'm thinking I might keep doing the 30DS but will do different cardio movements that don't aggravate my shins. When I've finished the 30DS I will be focusing only on weights

I also tried the 30DS and it sucked for me....with my shins i dont like to do jumping exercises very much....like the jumping jacks she has you doing. I can do some jumprope if on a soft surface.
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am a big guy and I run. I have always struggled with shin splints until I tried minimalist shoes. I went from alternating running and walking for a total of just over a mile and was nearly in tears by the time I got home, to being able to run 3 miles on Monday after changing to a minimalist shoe.

The logic behind it (according to my barefoot running son-in-law) is that when using minimalist footwear (or running barefoot), your stride shifts forward so that you strike on the front to middle of your foot rather than the heal, allowing your leg muscles to absorb the shock rather than the bones and tendons.

I am not saying this will help you specifically, I just know that for me, it was like a miracle. Night and day from one run to the next.

I wish you good luck in your pursuit of a comfortable way to get in some cardio exercise.
  • JustCallMeTori
    JustCallMeTori Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have had huge success with my new Mizzuno Wave Rider sneakers and Zensa compression socks. They were a life saver for my jogs and my shins. I also rub my shins down with Icy Hot after a long run. Good luck!