Do I need more protein than this for bulking?

Options
Firstly, I better say "Hello".

Well, I filled the initial calculation in. I put in that I wanted to bulk and gain approx 1lbs per week. I am 39, weigh 175 pounds.

The protein recommendation came back at 101 grams. I feel this is a little low and I should be aiming for nearer 175 grams.

Your thoughts please?

Thanks

Replies

• talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi back!

I'm not sure about bulking up, however, I am a 5'4 girl trying to cut and I aim for at least 100g protein per day
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Mfp gives you about 15% protein, which is very low. Adjust your macros manually.
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    1.25/1.50 grams per lbs so 175 so 210 to 260grams of protein a day
  • djvsfood
    djvsfood Posts: 32
    Options
    im cutting with with at least 280 grams protein
  • AssassinJames2
    AssassinJames2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah you might as well up it, no real harm going to 1.1/1,2g per lb I am currently 184 and get 200 grams and still my other macros, so don't worry about it.

I'd aim for about 180-190 grams per day in my opinion
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    Hi back!

I'm not sure about bulking up, however, I am a 5'4 girl trying to cut and I aim for at least 100g protein per day

Hi and thanks. Well I am six foot and although not skinny I am aiming for a more stocky kind of build. Been doing it five weeks now, so still fine tuning stuff. Getting there but want to make sure I am doing it all right. How is your cutting going?
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    Yeah you might as well up it, no real hard to going to 1.1/1,2g per lb of body weight I am currently 184 and get 200 grams and still my other macros, so don't worry about it.

Thanks. That sounds like what I have heard and read elsewhere and is confirming what I have been told.

Also any tips for keeping a belly down when bulking would be great!
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yeah you might as well up it, no real hard to going to 1.1/1,2g per lb of body weight I am currently 184 and get 200 grams and still my other macros, so don't worry about it.

Thanks. That sounds like what I have heard and read elsewhere and is confirming what I have been told.

Clean bulking like you have said, aiming for 1lbs a week growth will help minimize the bulge but its going to happen im afraid!
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi back!

Hi and thanks. Well I am six foot and although not skinny I am aiming for a more stocky kind of build. Been doing it five weeks now, so still fine tuning stuff. Getting there but want to make sure I am doing it all right. How is your cutting going?

It's going pretty well thanks: slow but steady. Upping my protein was the hardest though as I was brought up vegetarian so my daily protein average was around 20g per day...thank god for bacon :smile:
  • westhamrangers
    Options

Clean bulking like you have said, aiming for 1lbs a week growth will help minimize the bulge but its going to happen im afraid!

Cheers mate. I suppose clean bulk then cut is the way forward?
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    Hi back!

It's going pretty well thanks: slow but steady. Upping my protein was the hardest though as I was brought up vegetarian so my daily protein average was around 20g per day...thank god for bacon :smile:

Haha bacon. Love it but try and limit my intake! I sound like a bacon junkie! :)
  • AssassinJames2
    Options
    Yeah clean bulk to keep the belly down, maybe eat more food and try a tiny amount of cardio, just to keep abit active. Adjust to suit though man, you are going to put fat on no matter what in a bulk, you can just strip it off at the end of the bulk though!
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    Yeah clean bulk to keep the belly down, maybe eat more food and try a tiny amount of cardio, just to keep abit active. Adjust to suit though man, you are going to put fat on no matter what in a bulk, you can just strip it off at the end of the bulk though!

Great reply mate. Yeah, i am keeping bulk as clean as possible.

Weight training 3/4 times per week and cardio 2/3 times.
  • AssassinJames2
    Options
    Sounds good to me man, don't overkill the cardio and I am sure you will see some gains, try and get more protein and see how it works for you!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi back!

Oh me too! thought i'm 5'2. :flowerforyou:
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    Sounds good to me man, don't overkill the cardio and I am sure you will see some gains, try and get more protein and see how it works for you!

Will do.

Cheers mate!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    The protein recommendation came back at 101 grams. I feel this is a little low and I should be aiming for nearer 175 grams.

150-175g should be fine.