When you say lifting, what do you mean?

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
So i'm going to take a small step away from the exercise classes that i do and start incorporating lifting in to my routine.

But what the hell do i do?

Am i aiming for a bench and bar? the gym weight machines? dumbbells?

help!

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    So i'm going to take a small step away from the exercise classes that i do and start incorporating lifting in to my routine.

help!

What you do will depend upon what equipment you have available (if any)

No Equipment: Bodyweight lifting routines (ie no equipment needed whatsoever) include books such as "you are your own gym" and "convict conditioning"

Dumbbells: the book "New Rules of Lifting for Life" has dumbbell equivalents for all each phase and you can gradually move over to barbell training when you max out on your available dumbbells.

Barbells: If you have a gym with a squat/power rack and barbell available, you could try one of the many beginners programmes out there, including the book "Starting Strength", the website/pdf "Stronglifts 5x5", the thread on bodybuilding.com "All Pro - A Simple Beginners Routine"

All these routines have progression built into them (along with allowing for adequate rest). These things are important so that you don't spin your wheels starting out. Avoid putting something together yourself..... trust established routines to get you the results you want.
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Weight machines are good, but also do some dumbbells and/or barbell exercises to work your muscles out in a functional way. The problem with the machines is that they isolate muscles in ways that you wouldn't in everyday life. It's best to do free weights in addition. I usually 3 sets of 15 reps at a challenging weight, so that I can feel the burn but maintain correct form. Exercises I do include deadlifts, dumbbell rows, overhead presses, bicep curls, chest flies, and punches. Sometimes I also combine muscle groups--I'll do lunges WITH bicep curls to bump up the intensity, or do squats into an overhead press. Look online for different exercises to do, or copy the routines in a workout dvd you like at the gym.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

help!

No Equipment: Bodyweight lifting routines (ie no equipment needed whatsoever) include books such as "you are your own gym" and "convict conditioning"

Dumbbells: the book "New Rules of Lifting for Life" has dumbbell equivalents for all each phase and you can gradually move over to barbell training when you max out on your available dumbbells.

Barbells: If you have a gym with a squat/power rack and barbell available, you could try one of the many beginners programmes out there, including the book "Starting Strength", the website/pdf "Stronglifts 5x5", the thread on bodybuilding.com "All Pro - A Simple Beginners Routine"

All these routines have progression built into them (along with allowing for adequate rest). These things are important so that you don't spin your wheels starting out. Avoid putting something together yourself..... trust established routines to get you the results you want.

This. I have my own barbell and weights and do stronglifts 5x5
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Would always say free weights are better than weight machines due to the building of supporting muscles.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

help!

^ Another for this. For bodyweight also check out nerdfitness.com, and for lifting check out the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

help!

^ Another for this. For bodyweight also check out nerdfitness.com, and for lifting check out the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Yep. Excellent explanation by Jimmer.
  • _Wild_Card_
    _Wild_Card_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    38072572.jpg
  • Wolverine10
    Wolverine10 Posts: 10
    Options
    This.Add pull ups and you're golden!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it has already been saidbut compound lifts - bench press, deadlift, squat, overhead press, pull ups, chin ups, etc...
  • Wolverine10
    Wolverine10 Posts: 10
    Options
    Great observation!