what is glutten free ?

the reason I am asking is I have an allergy to wheat and someone suggested to try going glutten free. I bought some popcorn and it said it was Glutten free.

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    It's food free from gluten? Suitable for coeliacs.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Gluten is a protein complex found in wheat and other grains. Most health food stores and stores with a large organic/natural food selection will have a lot of GF options. However, when you are eating gluten free, the substitutes tend to be just another grain. A paleo diet eliminates all grains.
  • Salekdarling
    Salekdarling Posts: 19 Member
    Gluten is a protein complex found in wheat and other grains. Most health food stores and stores with a large organic/natural food selection will have a lot of GF options. However, when you are eating gluten free, the substitutes tend to be just another grain. A paleo diet eliminates all grains.

I second the paleo diet. My husband always had issues with gluten. We both are doing the ketogenic diet. It is similar to the paleo diet minus all fruits except some berries, and you usually stay below 25 g of carbs or less. His health problems (and mine) are all gone or managed now.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member

I second the paleo diet. My husband always had issues with gluten. We both are doing the ketogenic diet. It is similar to the paleo diet minus all fruits except some berries, and you usually stay below 25 g of carbs or less. His health problems (and mine) are all gone or managed now.

I third the paleo/primal diet :)
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    There are a ton of things that are gluten free... a shorter list would be foods that CONTAIN gluten;

Gluten-containing grains & starches
    - Bulgur
    - Durum wheat
    - Wheat and wheat flour
    - Wheat bran
    - Wheat rusk
    - Kamut
    - Spelt
    - Triticale
    - Couscous
    - Semolina
    - Barley malt and barley flour
    - Rye and rye flour
    - Oats (due to cross contamination)

Products of gluten
    -containing grains and starches - Muesli
    - Wheat-based breakfast cereal
    - Wheat, barley, or rye biscuits; breads; crackers; cakes; flans; muffins; noodles; pastas; pastries; pies; pizza bases; quiches; scones; or tarts

Dairy Products
    - Yogurt with breakfast cereal or muesli
    - Flavored yogurt
    - Milk with additional fiber
    - Grated cheese (wheat flour is often used to keep the pieces separate)
    - Cheesecake

Animal Protein
    - Any meat coated in batter or breadcrumbs
    - Meat with sauces or spices may contain gluten
    - Wafer-thin processed meats (wheat flour makes the slices easy to separate)
    - Scotch eggs

Fruits and Vegetables
    - Ready-made fillings for fruit pies
    - Frozen potato products
    - Vegetables with coatings, sauces, or spices may contain gluten

Other Foods and Food Products
    - Suet
    - Some low-fat spreads
    - Soups and sauces thickened with wheat flour
    - Coated nuts, raisins, and seeds
    - Packaged savory snacks (potato chips, etc.)
    - Some candy
    - Spices and seasonings may contain additional flour
    - Some salad dressings

Drinks
    - Ale
    - Beer
    - Lager
    - Stout
    - Spirits made from grains with gluten
    - Some cocktails
    - Malted milk drinks
    - Barley-containing soft drinks
    - Some smoothies
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

My roommate and a couple of close friends are allergic to gluten. My roommate can still have dairy, luckily, but her brother can't. One of my friends is also allergic to both.

Basically, when they eat something that has even a few molecules of that substance, they get very adverse reactions that last from a few days to over a month. My roommate had to be checked out for pregnancy, brain tumors, stomach cancer, ulcerative colitis and so on before the doctors thought "hey, maybe it's a food allergy" because they put her on a BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) and it kept happening. She's also deathly allergic to anything from the sea. :/

So if she has food that's even fried in the same oil or cooked on the same grill as fish, or something breaded in regular flour (or even oat flour or rye or barley flour), she can get GERD, diarrhea, lethargy or insomnia, cramps, spasms... a lot of different stuff. We have to keep the house gluten-free, which is fine because I mainly only eat meat and cheese. She and her husband have had to learn to cook with almond flour, rice flour and stuff like that. She has an extremely limited experience when it comes to fast food options anymore (the In 'n' Out double double protein style seems to be okay), but she has to be extremely careful when it comes to packaged food, because even something innocuous like Caramel Coloring can be made from wheat products and cause an attack.