plank form

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
Proper plank form .... is it on elbows or on ur wrist?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you can plank on either your palms (arms straight) or your forarms as far as i know. just make sure you dont drop your hips or stick your bum in the air too much
  • Wrists, more importantly make sure you maintain a neutral spine, if your hips are too far in or too far out its not going to hit your core properly. I definitely recommend doing it on gymnastic rings if you have them available
  • jmzz1
    Options
    you can plank on either your palms (arms straight) or your forarms as far as i know. just make sure you dont drop your hips or stick your bum in the air too much
    Which one more effective?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Help please
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I would assume that whichever position you can hold a plank the longest is the most effective for your core.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    They're both effective. I've been taught that on your forearms is an "ab hold" and on your hands is a plank. But, again, either is going to be a good core exercise. Why not do them both?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    bootcamp-plank.jpg
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Supposedly on your elbows is the "hard" version of a plank although I'm much better on my elbows than I am on my wrists.

Either way you need to remember to stuck your bellybutton into your spine, squeeze those butt cheeks together and remain straight as a board, not lifting your hips up too high or dropping them too low. Do it in front of a mirror or at the gym and ask someone if you're doing it correctly. I plank for 1 minute and then rest for 10 seconds in child's post and then plank again and rest again etc etc.

Once you get steady enough, you can do up/down plank...start on your elbows and lift yourself up onto your hands and then back down to your elbows and back up etc. Or do spiderman while planking, it works your obliques: plank in whichever form you feel comfortable the move one leg up and out to the side with a bent knee and then the other.

http://youtu.be/DVXT7xBA_jU

http://youtu.be/L4oFJRDAU4Q
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    FocusOnForm_ForearmPlank.jpg

55671954.jpg
  • Jadesha
    Jadesha Posts: 17
    Options
    Usually I encourage beginners to hold plank on their forearms then as they get stronger, their wrists. It's also a good exercise to move from forearm to wrist then back again within a few seconds of each other; challenging but really strengthens your core & shoulders. Hope that helps :)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    both are effective.
    you should check out some planking videos on YouTube. there are many out there and you can see many planking formations that you may really find benefiting. There are side planks and backwards planks also.
    go YouTube 'planking' videos and try out a few.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    bootcamp-plank.jpg

this
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like them both, but I know I get a better ab workout when I'm on my forearms....
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I believe the yoga pose is on hands, but they both work your core. I actually find it easier to hold a plank on my hands, but I think most find forearms easier. Either way, just do it. There are lots of plank challenges available online. Try one! If you are worried you are using the wrong form, switch it up. Or do the up/down exercise that @innocence suggests--we do that every couple of weeks in my circuit training class and it's great. Switch hands to make sure you are exercising your entire core.

I have read in several places lately that doing planks is actually a better core exercise than crunches, and it's certainly easier on your neck (I have a tendency to try to pull my neck doing crunches).
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Usually I encourage beginners to hold plank on their forearms then as they get stronger, their wrists. It's also a good exercise to move from forearm to wrist then back again within a few seconds of each other; challenging but really strengthens your core & shoulders. Hope that helps :)

^^this
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

They both are. Some people have to start on their forearms for more stability until their core is strong enough to move to straight arm. Try PLANK UPS!!! It's starting in the forearm plank, then without moving your hips/butt too much, push up to your hands/palms in the high plank position. Then eventually you will be able to do side planks. Here are some images to help.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plank+ups&id=438DFA5047CD5A9BCDF4DC29E2E2E4D0CAA8CD26&FORM=IQFRBA#
  • jamers3111
    Options
    bootcamp-plank.jpg

this

And this (plank ups)
    2.-up-up-down-down-plank-420x420.jpg
  • KansasRider
    KansasRider Posts: 76 Member
    Options

elbows as you are lower to the ground. also try side planks or Tplanks. (on one elbow with your body facing a wall instead of the floor)
    Happy planking
  • jamers3111
    Options
    Then you'll be able to do this...
    th?id=H.4754117504730597&pid=1.7
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    And this (plank ups)
    2.-up-up-down-down-plank-420x420.jpg
    I was just going to suggest this - I call them plank-to-push-up. Absolute killer for upper body and core, far, far harder than it looks.