Going out for breakfast...advice!!!

Options
Tomorrow is the first time I'm going out for breakfast with hubby since I started watching what I eat. I used to get eggs benedict, hash browns, toast, and couple glasses of coke...for a total of 1700 calories! I'm trying to keep my calories around 400 for breakfast. Ideas or suggestions? I don't want to be starving by noon! But I want to eat!

Replies

• tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do! I eat breakfast out quite a bit.

I get a vegetable omelet ( with cheese!), but ask them to prepare it with egg whites or egg beaters. I also ask them to cook it without using any butter or oil. I get whole wheat toast (no butter), and use a packet of Smuckers jelly. If that's not quite enough, most restaurants also offer a fruit cup, and I will sometimes get that as a side dish :). Yummy, satisfying, and within your calorie goal!
  • EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You could get poached eggs and dry toast. That is kind of 'Eggs Benedict like'. I really dig hash browns though, so I would skip the toast and have them. You could have an egg white omelet with veggies (no cheese). Breakfast can be a hard dieting choice at restaurants.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You could probably still have your eggs benedict sans hashbrowns and cokes. Just ask for the hollandaise on the side so you can control how much you use and switch to diet coke or coffee, and ask for fruit instead of toast.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Are you going to a big chain or a small diner? Bigger places (denny's, ihop) will have their nutritions posted and make it easy to choose a meal within a calorie budget.

If not, it's easy to make good choices. Substitute egg whites for your eggs, ask them to cook with less/no butter, get a slice of whole wheat or grain toast and use a jelly instead of butter, and diet coke! As for the hashbrowns, maybe make your husband get some and you just have a bite! :laugh: Those tips will save you some calories! If you still want the egg's benedict, omit the toast (no need for double carbs) and also no hollandaise! Or, get it on the side and instead of drenching it, just use a little bit. Hope that helps!
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    I eat out for breakfast quite often. I will get an egg white omelet or one with egg beaters, lots of veggies, no cheese. I ask them for no butter/oil on the omelet. I also get dry wheat toast and a side of fruit. With that protein, I am content for a while. Or as others were saying you could do eggs benedict with no hollandaise or it on the side... If I am going to do an egg benedict, I will get a veggie benedict instead of canadian bacon and always very tasty with a side of fruit! Good luck!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've gone out to Ihop a few times since starting MFP and I always get the specials. I get scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, and what ever special pancakes come with it. I just eat like half of the meal and the calories are under 500. I drink diet coke also.
  • alphasigalum
    Options
    I eat out for breakfast quite often. I will get an egg white omelet or one with egg beaters, lots of veggies, no cheese. I ask them for no butter/oil on the omelet. I also get dry wheat toast and a side of fruit. With that protein, I am content for a while. Or as others were saying you could do eggs benedict with no hollandaise or it on the side... If I am going to do an egg benedict, I will get a veggie benedict instead of canadian bacon and always very tasty with a side of fruit! Good luck!
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love poached eggs, so that is my usual... just poached eggs on wholemeal toast.... ask the waitress for some asparragus/mushroom/tomato/spinach on the side if you want to bulk it up a bit.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    egg poached, wheat toast no butter, 2 slices bacon, fresh fruit, coffee and/or diet coke.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs, WW toast, dry, and fresh fruit.
    It may not say that they offer it on the menu, but ask - They usually have it.
  • LilMizzSunshine
    Options
    I love getting a veggie omlet with coffee. Skip the potatoes and toast and add some fruit. : 0) Enjoy it and eat slowly, drink a glass of water before the meal comes and you'll feel satisfied. It can be scary at first (eating out) but just remember what you have learned here on MFP and you'll get more comfortable with the idea with practice. You'll see you'll feel good about your healthy choices! Happy eating..
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Go out and eat. Eat HALF of your meal add more veggs and some friut and drink alot of water. Then plan for a nice workout that day. Just relax and breathe. :)
  • claudzilla
    claudzilla Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I like the idea of an egg white omelet with veggies. Filling and sounds yummy! Gotta have the toast and totally forgot about diet coke! Now to get my hubby's butt out of bed before it's lunchtime! :laugh:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You could probably still have your eggs benedict sans hashbrowns and cokes. Just ask for the hollandaise on the side so you can control how much you use and switch to diet coke or coffee, and ask for fruit instead of toast.

I order eggs benedict all the time! Just get the hollandaise on the side, nix the cokes and get fruit like the above poster said. Total calories without the hollandaise = 350 <90 (2 slices of canadian bacon), 120 (english muffin), 140 (2 poached eggs)>