Can't Exercise

Options
I injured my ankle a few years back and it started spiking again recently. I went to the Dr. and he told me that I was over doing it and I am not allowed to do anything on it for the next 2-4 months. That means no exercise...This really puts a damper in my weight loss plan/goal.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for still trying to lose weight and exercise that doesn't involve using my ankle a lot. (I already know eating healthy is a huge part of it but exercise is important as well). My town does not have a community pool so swimming is not an option... at least not too often. I could possibly do that once a month but that isn't going to get me very far.

Thanks for all your help!

Replies

• dltp223
    dltp223 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your injury. What about seated exercises? Like these: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1713
  • Sylwill
    Sylwill Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How about focusing on strength training? Upper body strength with free weights?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about eating at a calorie deficit. You can still lose weight without working out, you just wont look as good as you would if you were doing both. Right now just watch what you eat then when you are given the ok to move workout.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I injured my ankle a few years back and it started spiking again recently. I went to the Dr. and he told me that I was over doing it and I am not allowed to do anything on it for the next 2-4 months. That means no exercise...This really puts a damper in my weight loss plan/goal.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for still trying to lose weight and exercise that doesn't involve using my ankle a lot. (I already know eating healthy is a huge part of it but exercise is important as well). My town does not have a community pool so swimming is not an option... at least not too often. I could possibly do that once a month but that isn't going to get me very far.

Thanks for all your help!

There is a lady who posts here who is in a wheelchair, losing weight so she can have her knees operated on... I don't know her name, but she has lost 40+ pounds or so since last winter (I think). Maybe someone knows who she is.... or maybe she will see this... she has a big smile...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    How about focusing on strength training? Upper body strength with free weights?

Yep. and lower body that doesn't put any pressure on the ankle. Use the machines, but not the leg press or calf raise. Isolate your quads and hamstrings with the leg extension and leg curl so you don't lose a lot of muscle mass while you're laid up. Obviously if it hurts your ankle, don't do it, but there's lots of exercises out there that don't put any impact on your ankles. And don't forget your core. Roman chair, hanging leg raises, swiss ball crunches, etc.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Would your ankle be able to tolerate swimming? Maybe without the weight impact your ankle could hold up.
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Planks! If your ankle can't take them with straight legs then do them on your knees. Follow up with crunches, isometric upper body/arm exercises. Leg lifts lying down to get hip/seat/upper leg. Inner thigh squeezes with a pilates ring. My personal trainer has me do all of these things repeatedly for an hour and you certainly sweat and burn calories!
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can start doing upper body exercises with your arms and upper torso (check with doctor first).. also, leg lifts while laying down, upper body stetches each day to keep muscles in shape. The main ingredient (I believe) is to stay as active as possible so that when you are ready to go again... you don't have as big a hill to climb to get back to where you want to be!:smile::wink: ... Also, when I broke my ankle the doctor had me spell the alphabet with both feet to keep the tendons and muscles loose. (it was very challenging).. Good luck and get better ....Soon!:wink: