Need a heart rate monitor

Options
quicklabs
quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
Hi there, MFP'ers
I've added a few things to my exercise regimen lately (biking, Zumba) and I really need to get a better idea of how many calories I'm burning. I just don't think that the MFP estimates are terribly reliable (mostly too high).
I have no idea how to choose a HRM or even how to use it to help me. I want one that will reliably record my HR and also tell me how many calories I've burned as a result.
I would very much appreciate any recommendations for a specific HRM unit that you might be able to offer.
Have a great day, everyone!

Replies

• elisew34
    elisew34 Posts: 27
    Options
    I recently bought the Polar FT4 HRM which comes with the chest strap. It seems to be pretty inline with the Treadmill results give or take a couple of cals. I find it very easy to use, the watch and chest strap sync well. I got mine off eBay last week from this seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221180739146?var=520132248374&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I know some people prefer Garmin but for the exercising and running that I do the FT4 is fine for me.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 too. The only issue is sometimes the display shows a 00 reading but it doesn't happen all the time. I just pause and restart when that happens.
  • dlavato
    dlavato Posts: 22
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 as well LOVE IT!!!! As long as you get one with at chest strap they should be pretty accurate from what I have read in previous posts about this. But I do know Polar is a pretty popular brand. Hope this helps. Good luck in your journey :)
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT40, and while I like how accurate it is, I'm not a fan of the chest strap. I find it uncomfortable
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 as well LOVE IT!!!! As long as you get one with at chest strap they should be pretty accurate from what I have read in previous posts about this. But I do know Polar is a pretty popular brand. Hope this helps. Good luck in your journey :)

Same here. I picked up the FT4. I haven't looked back. It's been flawless for me.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Another fan of the FT4. Its the best basic one you can get for the least amount of money. I researched.

The only thing its rubbish with is swimming because it cant read the strap through water.
  • Soxgirl97
    Soxgirl97 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Another rave for the Polar FT4. I love it. I found it on Amazon for much cheaper than you'll find it in a store.
  • selmafeki
    selmafeki Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've got the FT40 and it is soooo good. I've never had a HRM before but this really changed my workouts and my knowledge about it as well!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7, and I'm quite happy with it. It can also be used for swimming, if that is a consideration for you.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Same here. I picked up the FT4. I haven't looked back. It's been flawless for me.

^ this. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Polar FT4. Bonus, it's super cute in pink! And I think the chest strap is super comfortable. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • hlp7164
    hlp7164 Posts: 16
    Options
    The Polar does work well! and as a matter of fact! I can't find mines for some reason and I would hate to buy another one b/c that was my 2nd one! :(
    But they are EXCELLENT!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4. It's incredibly easy to use and I think it's fairly reliable. I've never regretted buying it. I chose it over the ft7 because I just didn't need all of the other specs that went along with the 7. I've yet to try it in the pool, but that was one feature I love it's water proof.. up to a certain depth of course and you can't press any buttons while submerged. Good Luck, I totally think it's worth the money. I got mine on ebay.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    Another vote for the Polar FT4!!! Love it!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. I have not had any complaints so far.
    I am curious to know if anyone else uses thiers for swimming...I saw someone else mention it does not read in the water. Anyone else use thiers for swimming?
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F4! I forget I even have the strap on, and I have used it successfully in the pool. I like it so much that when I recently misplaced my watch part, even though I'm pretty sure it's around the house somewhere ,after I couldn't find it for a week Missed it so much I ordered a new one !
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! You sure made it easy for me to choose! I'll be getting the Polar FT4!