Excessive Sweating

Options
2»

Replies

• vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It is called Hyper hydrosis. I have it as well. At any weight, I might add. Being over weight hasn't helped. But my husband and kids sweat excessivly as well.

If you are getting a headache then your blood pressure or heart rate were too high and you didn't cool down slow enough. Invest in an inexpensive Polar Heart rate monitor and it will help. I also get red faced but less and less as my fitness levels change.

^^^ what she said :-) ^^^ I thought you (OP) were describing me at first. Your ability to keep up will change but you are definitely not alone on being almost instantly red-faced and dripping with sweat. I've always been the same at peak fitness (which was pretty darn high many moons ago) and my absolute lowest level of fitness.

Wrt the headaches, I was going to say 'check that you're drinking enough' but I see from the last point you're already on it. I get horrid headaches when I'm dehydrated ... which I get because I sweat so much in the gym.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    .... sweat is fat crying, and it makes it okay.

LOVE this!
  • luvs_choc8
    luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    This is 100% me. In fact last night at a step aerobics class one of the other participants commented how wet my step was because the sweat was just dripping off me. I then became very self conscious of it. I told them all that I was a sweater and I would wash everything down when we were done the class. At the end of the class, one of the ladies goes around and sprays everything and purposely gave my step and the total area around it an extra spray (including the treadmil behind me that i had not even touched). I was mortified. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could do to alleviate this or at least not make it so obvious. I wear a heart rate monitor and have to work that hard to get my HR up to 160.
  • serena22289
    serena22289 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a ballet dancer, been dancing for 21 years, and if anything, I've sweat more and more as I get stronger. Sometimes I'll even start sweating when I'm stretching BEFORE class. It's perfectly normal just as it is to not sweat very much during exercise. You'll just have to be extra conscious to not over do it. I took a spinning class once and my face was purple for the rest of the night, even after I showered. Not fun.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I sweat more the better shape I'm in. I love doing a run or workout and dripping with sweat afterwards - makes me feel like I accomplished something during the workout.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is 100% me. In fact last night at a step aerobics class one of the other participants commented how wet my step was because the sweat was just dripping off me. I then became very self conscious of it. I told them all that I was a sweater and I would wash everything down when we were done the class. At the end of the class, one of the ladies goes around and sprays everything and purposely gave my step and the total area around it an extra spray (including the treadmil behind me that i had not even touched). I was mortified. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could do to alleviate this or at least not make it so obvious. I wear a heart rate monitor and have to work that hard to get my HR up to 160.

I think the moral of the story here is: we must love ourselves, sweat and all and try to not be so self conscious about it. Maybe we just have to accept the fact that our bodies are built differently than others and we sweat and get red-faced when we exercise. It is sounding more and more like there really is not anything we can do about it - except be smart about staying hydrated and nourished and know when our bodies have simply had enough.

We are who we are...SWEAT AND ALL :happy:
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear all the kindred sweaters in this thread and know that I'm not alone! I get so jealous when I hear about people working out on their lunch breaks; I would LOVE to go do that, but after any workout, of any level, I'm always so drenched in sweat and red faced, there's no way I could be at work in that state! They'd throw me out! :)
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy. I thought it was just the change in my workouts... from running to something more high intensity, but I went for a short run the other day, and I ended up dripping with sweat again. If you have been workout out for awhile, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are just getting into shape, you might want to dial it down a few notches if you're getting lightheaded, pain in your head, etc. That's your blood pressure. It doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. I am healthy as a horse, and have the same thing happen when I push really hard, but until you have established what feels normal for you while working out, you should tread with caution.
  • SnappinSami
    SnappinSami Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy, and hate it. I wouldn't mind so much if it were just when I'm exercising, but heat in general sets it off, and it's really embarrassing. It's also made me very self conscious about exercising around other people, because it feels so excessive. I just have to get over that part... But standing on the sunny sidelines of my daughter's soccer games and needing a "sweat rag..." eew.

As for the headaches, though, I've had tons of experience with that as well. For me, part was definitely a lack of hydration. But I also started eating a banana before working out, and it worked wonders. For a long time, it was my go-to pre-workout snack. Might be worth a try! :smile:
  • barbsdag
    barbsdag Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Personally I am in the same position you are and, I have been told it is a good thing as you are working from inside out...you are giving your all. Is there a medical concern? I would say no however; I am not in the medical field so, I don't know. It can be embarassing and, at times annoying but, at the end of the day I can say I gave my all and did my best, especially when results start showing off my work.
  • mp1117
    mp1117 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh so I'm not the sweatiest woman ever? I think my level of sweat changed after I turned 30. I used to be cold all the time, now I get so hot instantly. I would love to glisten at the gym, but I soak my gym towel every time!
  • johnglenn1973
    johnglenn1973 Posts: 274
    Options
    My name is John and I'm an excessive sweater (I have hyperhydrosis as well)....

It doesn't bother me at all when any exercise is involved, the problem that I have is when I'm working or at a social event where there should be no reason for me to be sweating.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat. I glow. . . . like a flippin' fire hydrant.

I'm also very fair skinned and can work up a sweat in nothing flat. While maybe not the medical advice you're looking for, in my one-and-only radio call-in experience, I asked Zorba Paster (the NPR "On Your Health" guy) if I should be concerned about my profuse sweating and the fact that it's usually a good 45 minutes to an hour before my extremely reddened face returns to normal after a workout. He said Nope! perfectly normal, especially for fair-skinned people.

My gym attire includes a bandana to keep the sweat from dripping in my eyes, and a workout towel to control elsewhere (arms, legs, neck, face, etcetera. When I turn that towel in after my workout it's always drenched.
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sweating is one thing. But the headaches and redness make me think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to get your blood pressure checked just to play it safe
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My name is John and I'm an excessive sweater (I have hyperhydrosis as well)....

It doesn't bother me at all when any exercise is involved, the problem that I have is when I'm working or at a social event where there should be no reason for me to be sweating.

Me too (except I'm not called John).

I can't sweat enough when I'm working out. Doesn't bother me one bit. However, 5 minutes after applying clinical strength antiperspirant and my armpits are soaked? That does bug me!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I guess some people just sweat more than others. I sure do. Just a 10 minute walk on a 75 degree day and I am literally dripping. If I wear a baseball cap, the whole thing is soaked in no time, leaving stains and salt residue. On the plus side, I figure I don't have to worry about sodium.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you think you need to see a doc, then do so. I have been a "sweater" since I was a child...still am. I try to drink at least 100 oz. of H20 a day. After a hard workout, I will drink 32 oz. of water and have an apple or orange. Helps me a lot, but I am also hypoglycemic. These were instructions from my doc and nutritionist.

I was super sweat boy when thin and weight has nothing to do with it.

Best wishes...
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I've heard that sage (such as sage tea) can help. If you decide to try it, you might want to do a little research first.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sweat is fat crying ...