Chinese?

Options
pippywillow
pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
I'm going to chinese for lunch today. Does anyone have any tips on what are the best choices? I really want lo mein with boneless spareribs and crab rangoons, but after looking up the calories for those I'm not going to.

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    why not? just eat half and take the rest home for lunch tomorrow.... that is what i do
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    LOL, my advice is to stay away from Chinese! It happens to be my favorite, so I can't help myself when I eat it!!! On a serious note, anything green can't be bad, right?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eating slowly, really enjoying what I'm eating and as suggested, eat half of the amount. Plus I have a low cal breakfast and something light for dinner when I eat Chinese. :)
  • pippywillow
    Options
    We usually go every other week so I want to try to find something new. I don't have time to work out on wednesdays so I can't make up for it if I go over.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Beef and broccoli is usually pretty good, unless it's a place that puts sauce on it. Then ask them to put the sauce on the side.

I though, always get my pork fried rice or pork lo mein, or occasionally sesame chicken, because if I'm going to have Chinese food I'm going to enjoy it to the max and it the stuff that I just can't completely replicate at home.
  • hjsmoons
    hjsmoons Posts: 3
    Options
    I personally like shrimp with brocolli. if you can, leave out the rice.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I love chinese and have avoided it like the plague since I've started my weight loss journey. That said... I recommend a good workout that day, small portions and sticking to dishes that have lots of veggies. Darn, I am hungary now... :smile:
  • FreddyObrian
    FreddyObrian Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On my journey from 260 to 185, I'd visit a chinese buffet at least once week :D

If I go to a Chinese restaurant, I'd enjoy myself. You're not going there because you want to watch what you eat; you're going there to enjoy yourself :) Of course you can do it conciously by not eating ever delicious snack, but enjoy your "cheat meal".

There's a catch if you don't want it to hurt you, control what you can control. On the days I ate Chinese buffet, it'd be the only meal I'd eat since I knew the calories I'd intake would be equivalent if not above my caloric intake for the day.

I don't recommend going to this extreme, but control what you can. Don't eat as big of a meal for breakfast or dinner if you're going to go for chinese for lunch. Or lower the caloric intake for tomorrow a few. You're most likely going to eat a lot of fat and carb calories; perhaps you could lower those for the current day or the following. Nothing to crazy, but just a smidget :D
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Portion control and lots of water. Chinese has tons of sodium in it. I like the chicken and brocoli or galic chicken is not bad too. But like many say portion control and eat what you want. 1 day is not going to destroy all the hard work that you have put in thus far!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I love to go to the ones with a hibachi grill. I can pick out the vegetables and meats I want and they are fresh cooked to order. It is so yummy that way. Much better than anything on the grill. If it is not a buffet then I would recommend steamed vegetables with a stir fry meat.
  • pippywillow
    Options
    I hadn't thought of ordering the sauce on the side. I usually tend to avoid asking for things from the waitress (I'm paranoid about getting my food spit on) but I might be brave and try it this time.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Go light on the sauce of even ask for it to be on the side, this will cut down dramatically!

Beef N Broccoli

Chicken recipes where they use the wok and not the deep fryer

Stay away from egg rolls,crab rangoons, if you must have something have a spring roll.

Hot & Sour soup or Wonton instead of Egg drop soup.

Steamed Rice instead of Fried

Chinese is my favorite and there is no reason why you can't have it
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My local chinese restaurant has a healthy diet menu, the dishes are made with steamed shrimps, chicken, veg's, etc, and no added salt, and sauces are on the side. Ask if they do this kind of thing, it does help....
  • LindieLu79
    LindieLu79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MMM!! I love crab rangoon!! My kids love chinese (we do take out) so since I've started watching what I eat, i will order some white rice bring it home and heat up some salmon to go with it. But... last time I was just dying to have a taste of crab rangoon... when I entered it in, I was actually suprised at the number of calories... it's about 65-70 calories per rangoon... now I don't know if that takes into account the oil, but I didn't enter that in since I have no idea what they use... but for me, it was ok that I ate 3 crab rangoon... it was better than the 8 I usually eat for a meal. I say, if you really want it, order it, just don't eat the entire order, and try to get a workout in. I don't think it's healthy to completely cut out all the foods you love... just eat smaller amounts. :-) Good luck!
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I don't know where you are going, but the chain Panda Express has some healthier options, so if you are craving Chinese maybe try them out instead of a traditional restaurant, if there is one near you. In place of rice, they offer steamed veggies for those watching the calories (70 calories for their huge serving). Their Broccoli Beef only has 120 calories per serving. If you get 2 servings of this (their regular meals come with 2 entrees or servings) and add the steamed veggies the whole meal (which is huge) is only 310 calories! They have what they call "Wok Smart" options whch are all under 200 calories per serving. The Mushroom Chicken is yummy- and 180 calories a serving. And their String Bean Chicken Breast is delicious- 160 calories a serving.
  • jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest portion control.

But... I'd stay away from anything that's lo mein/noodles because Chinese noodles are typically deep fried. It's worse than having rice.

Spareribs with rice, or even Chicken stir-fry with rice would be a better option.

Good luck!
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Portion control. More green beans, broccoli, and mushrooms.

Um...that's all I've got. I love Chinese food and will NOT give it up. Just keep it balanced with everything else. :smile:
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Check if they have a low cal menu - a lot of places do. If not, then things like chicken w/mixed vegetables and whatnot will be lower in cals. And definitely drink a TON of water today! That sodium is what'll get ya!
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    We go to a place that serves REAL Chinese food, not Western Chinese food, so the food is very different from what most people expect. I prefer it, as the flavors are better and there is not as much battered and deep fried food.

What do I usually get?

Steamed dumplings with chicken or shrimp and vegetables. Those are filling and rather low in calories.
    Salt and pepper shrimp. Yes, they are fried, but they are very lightly coated and satisfying! Share these!
    BBQ pork. This is just the meat, and I get it with steamed rice. Add a little vinegar, hot chili peppers, and a little soy sauce and you have a lovely meal!
    Stir fried vegetables, sauce on the side. I love mushrooms, celery, carrots, and snow peas.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!
  • amberwhite804
    amberwhite804 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with the other members, Chinese food is really high in sodium. Since I've started my weight loss journey - I try my best to stay away from it. I suggest small portions and filling up on a veggie first (try only eating half of your meal).

If I do get Chinese I try my best to get a veggie mix - white rice (I personally love anything with broccoli & brown sauce) and maybe chicken

Good Luck - let us know what you eneded up getting!