Tilapia!!!

Options
I have never eaten seafood. Not even tuna! I am trying to come up with new ideas for dinner and my husband suggested I try it again. I am very reluctant cause I hate the smell of it, but it is so much better for you and I can only eat chicken and turkey so many more times. Problem is, I have never cooked it before. Neither has my husband, since we have been together since he was 15 and I have never cooked it for us. Let me know what kinds of ways I can cook the tilapia. Trying new things and hoping to like it. Thanks!!

Replies

• jeweljade
    Options
    I love salmon!! I like to get the salmon fillets in the frozen seafood department at walmart. I take one of the individually wrapped fillets out and microwave it till it is completely done. (about 5-8 min?) Then I either put it one a big salad or serve it with some whole wheat pasta. Very yummy and hassle free.
  • edinbors
    edinbors Posts: 112
    Options
    I use just a small amount of olive oil and then I put raw garlic and onion in a pan on the burners then I add garlic salt, paprika, cilantro, cumin, italian seasonings on it and cook it real slow and its supper yummy....oh I put these spices on both sides and its really good over rice or pasta!! I love tilapia, flounder is really good too! Also salmon cooked on a cedar plank is YUMMY!
  • verykristin
    Options
    The easiest way to cook tilapia is to bake it in the oven. Put a little olive oil in the bottom of your baking dish to keep it from sticking. Then season lightly with your favorite spices and bake until opaque, about ten minutes. Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice on and enjoy.

I cook tilapia all the time. It's inexpensive, easy, and cooks quickly on those busy nights when I'm crunched for time. Good luck!
  • mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I wanted to get some ideas on tilapia as well, I just picked some up at the store.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A little olive oil in a frying pan with some minced garlic, put your fish in and salt, pepper and squeeze fresh lemon on it while cooking! YUM!!:love:

If you want to hide the taste of the fish, bake it covered in the oven with the following mixture:

1 Tbs of fat free cream cheese
    1 Tbs of low fat mayo
    Dash of garlic powder
    Dash of onion powder

This is enough to cover one piece of fish.:flowerforyou:
  • gneiss_geologist
    Options
    Fresh fish is healthy and better. Check preservatives for frozen/packaged fish, normally high. Also, if you dislike the smell grill the fish outside, Bar B Q. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt, pepper, lemon juice. In doors, broil in the oven. Fish does not take long to cook when it's fresh, and the smell is not strong. Grilled veggies with red small potatoes, very yummy. Also, always have a bite of a lemon wedge, after eating any type of seafood it will cause bad breath.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I love to grill my cod, talipia, flounder, salmon.... I tear a piece of tin foil for each piece, bout the size of a kleenex or paper towel. place fish portion in the center and brush lightly with EVOO or spray with Pam. Lightly season to your taste, I usually leave it plain, cuz I just love any seafood. fold sides of foil in and seal well. place on 350-400* grill for 6-8 min each side. YUM! :tongue:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a great thread that's got all sorts of wonderful ideas to add to the great ones already shared in this thread!:drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/94610-please-share-your-tilapia-recipes
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You're in luck, I work at a seafood restaurant :)

Tiliapia is such a wonderful and nutritious fish! You can grill it, bake it and put it on some whole wheat bread for a yummy fish sandwich. Or you could try it the other way and bread the fish with whole wheat bread crumbs and fry it in a pan or bake it in the oven. Tastes good with a squirt of lemon or some hot sauce, and goes well with any side dish. I like poaching as well, make yourself up some yummy broth (add veggies to your water, herbs, lemon, limes, etc) and bring to a boil, put your fish in and cook until tender - you'll get an amazing tasting fish. Good luck :)
  • crystal29714
    Options
    I bake mine in the oven sprinkled with zesty lemon pepper. No extra oil because I use silicone mats that nothing will stick too. They are awesome! It saves alot of cleanup and no extra calories from oils. Bake for 12 mins, then squirt lemon juice on it when it comes out of oven. My 14 yr old even loves it!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump