Treadmill or Stationary Bike?

Options
Treadmill walking vs Stationary Bike:: What is your take?? Both at easy to moderate levels, which do you feel works better for you? I have a treadmill, which I love because I can use my Nike+ Running app and really see my progress, but we just bought a stationary bike, and OMG... I sweat so much in 15 minutes on that thing! WOW! I feel like that was a better workout than my 60 minute 5K on my treadmill... What is you input on this??? Just wondering if you get different results? I love my treadmill, but I am willing to change to the bike for the results!

Replies

• Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to choose? Use them both.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I prefer real walking and real biking.
  • Kimber100683
    Kimber100683 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds stupid... but i favor my treadmill.... If i am going to burn more and get more out of my bike... I will use the bike more and the treadmill less... When I log my exercise on MFP, it really does not vary as to how many calories I am burning between the two... but I noticed my workout with the bike made me sweat more and raised my heart rate more.
  • mwright7
    mwright7 Posts: 3
    Options
    I do both daily!
  • Cycotic
    Cycotic Posts: 7
    Options
    My opinion: It's a matter of preference and time. If I have time, I prefer the treadmill, or a brisk walk in the woods in hilly terrain. If time is short, I'll hit the stationary bike because yes it does give me more of a workout in a shorter span of time.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I prefer the bike because it's me making the machine move where as the treadmill is the machine making me move. The elliptical and the stair climber are also me moving the machine. The treadmill is always my last choice.
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Could it be that the bike worked a different muscle or your body in a different way therefore you got a bit more out of it simply because of the change? Maybe alternating is a good idea.......

P.S. I like both....as well as the elliptical and the stair climber .
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    I prefer to run outside and cross train on a stationary bike. Best of both worlds!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Treadmill for me! Both have good impacts but I've exercised on a bike years ago every night for a month - after the 4th day I recall not having a bum as it was so painful sitting on the seat for an hour a day xD however I did lose 10kg in that month :smokin:
  • mtang99
    mtang99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do both every day, the bike I burn far more calories in half as much time.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    switch it up if you like both =) i would pick the bike cuz i hate running
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Go outside!!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post on why not use both if you enjoy them and want to have some variety. Some people are bikers, some people are runners, some people like a mix. A stationary bike works fewer muscles than running, back since you can't use a bike shoe (clipless), you are exerting a lot of energy to push the pedals. Therefore, you may feel like you are getting more of a workout than a run, but "usually" a run is better, both for calorie burn and overall fitness. Running is a lot more impact on your body though, so if you have back or knee issues, stationary bike is very nice. Keep having fun whatever you choose!
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    i use both. i start with a recumbent bike actually. I usually do 15 to 20 minutes on the bike, then hop on the treadmill. I started with the bike exclusively( when I started working out back in January) because of knee problems. I got bored really quick though so I was happy that my knee was feeling great. I gave the treadmill a try and loved it.
  • Kimber100683
    Kimber100683 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I guess I never really thought of using both daily, but I am sure the change from one to another will be benificial to me! Durf... silly me!!!! I am so used to doing my whole workout on my treadmill... this new bike is throwing me for a loop!!!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds stupid... but i favor my treadmill.... If i am going to burn more and get more out of my bike... I will use the bike more and the treadmill less... When I log my exercise on MFP, it really does not vary as to how many calories I am burning between the two... but I noticed my workout with the bike made me sweat more and raised my heart rate more.
    If you prefer the treadmill, change the settings for a more intense workout on the treadmill...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio machines unless there are some very extreme circumstances..but I'd say incorporate both into your routine. Doing the same thing all of the time gets boring. Maybe have treadmill days and bike days. I'd also suggest working in some resistance training...that's where you're really going to get results.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside and cross train on a stationary bike. Best of both worlds!

Not always the easiest for people to "go outside" in the winter.
  • beckyhoo
    beckyhoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I prefer the bike because it's me making the machine move where as the treadmill is the machine making me move. The elliptical and the stair climber are also me moving the machine. The treadmill is always my last choice.

Interesting. I think this is exactly why I prefer the treadmill. It won't let me slack off. I do a different pre-programmed workout each day, sometimes substituting my own HIIT....and I refuse to NOT finish. I don't feel like I burn nearly as many calories on my recumbent, but I should probably let go of my treadmill obsession and give it more of a chance. :)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I guess I never really thought of using both daily, but I am sure the change from one to another will be benificial to me! Durf... silly me!!!! I am so used to doing my whole workout on my treadmill... this new bike is throwing me for a loop!!!

Make sure to mix things up even more if you want....do 30 min bike, hop off, 30 min treadmill (called a brick workout). I do them for multisport training. They are tons of fun! If you do, just be careful the first time, your legs may be more exhausted than you realize, and it's easy to collapse when you start up the treadmill. You will probably want to bike, hop off, walk slow on treadmill for a few minutes to get your legs acclimated to the leg movement, then you will be good to go.