Fish and Chips Takeaway

Options
Heya,

I have a bit of an issue calculating the calories in my future dinner tonight: we have decided to have fish and chips but nobody seems to agree on how many calories there are in a small Fish and Chips portion from the chipshop.
One say 650, the other 1000 I also found 1500 and 540, what do you think?

Thanks for your helps

HWG :happy:

Replies

• beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much - I would say my local chippies are all very greasy and it's not hard to imagine there being upwards of 1000/1500 cals at least for a fish supper...I would guess more. If I'm not sure of calories I always overestimate, and pack in extra exercise to try and make up for any high calorie meal :)
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would say that you can weigh a Fish n Chip on the heavier side of the scale. Trying to find lesser calories seems to be setting you up in saying "it's not that bad" and then you might have it more often, then having your body craving for the not so healthy things. You can chaulk it up to a "cheat supper" and not care about the calories for once, but get right on track with your diet after.
  • xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    this may not be the correct way but its the way i do it :ohwell:

i look for the one that has the most confirmations on the nutrition info - hope it helps :flowerforyou:
  • designingsean
    Options
    Just doing a quick Google search on "fish and chips calories" it seems the smaller numbers are more realistic for a small portion.

What I usually do when I am eating something that doesn't have a specific entry in the database, is take a look at some of the restaurant chains that ARE in the database that have this meal. For instance, I saw that Applebee's has fish and chips for around 700 calories. I would take a look at that meal on their website, compare it to the portion I need, and then adjust the serving accordingly.
  • Herewego
    Herewego Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you.
    It really does not seems much but the entry with the most confirmation (2) is the generic one and it is 650 (or something). This seems to correspond to onedeep suggestion. Yet I have my doubt on a small fish and chips being less than 700 cal. I will see what I do. But I might put a 1 and a half portion of it in my diary and feel that I have not cheated.

I "hate" eating out when I don't know what it is in it........... Couldn't they have a law where evry single restaurant/takaway have to put their nutrition visible to the public. :grumble:

• xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    oooohhh onedeep thats a really good idea!!!! thanks :bigsmile:
  • Herewego
    Options
    Hooo just found that on a site,
    "Calorie Facts:
    Fish and chips have around a third less calories than other popular take-away meals and represent only 30% of a female adult’s recommended daily intake and less than 25% of a male’s."

So according to that Women should eat an average of 2000cal/day so 30% of that is: 600 cal for a fish an chips. The Generic in the database is right then.

So everybody to the fish and chips shop :love:

• Herewego
    Options
    And again

"The average portion of fish and chips contains 595 calories and 9.42g of fat per 100g while the average pizza contains 871 calories and 11g of fat and the average chicken korma has 910 calories and 15.5g of fat.

" Chip shop chips are fatter but have less fat than fries. They are also among the healthiest fast food because there's no additives, no added salt and we cook from fresh, plus the average portion has double the fibre found in a portion of brown rice."

Well I think I have my answers. Thank you to all of you for your assistance.

• Dixie2111
    Dixie2111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, my first week on here and in answer to your query, I made my own, which was healthier and lighter: average chip shop fish and chips supper is around 880 cals for a small portion; my dinner cost just 395.

Lunch became dinner this afternoon as I started the day late and breakfast became brunch, so I need to finish eating later this even with something lighter.... so I swapped Dinner for Lunch. I bought two cod steaks from Tesco's last week with a minted pea sauce sachet and thought; what can I do to the fillets that wont cost me loads of calories by having a favourite dish of deep fried fish n chips? So, I recalled somewhere in the dim distant past my grandmother coating white fish for my Italian grandfather, with dried polenta, instead of using breadcrumbs covering...(polenta is a gluten free grain), which is cornmeal or maize and looks like gritty yellow flour. I had some in the cupboard screaming to be used so I dished out around 1 - 2 ozs on a large plate, lightly seasoned it with salt and black pepper and using a little of my soya milk wet the cod fillets (instead of using beaten egg) then dipped each one into the dried seasoned polenta (if you wanted to you could spice up the dried polenta first a little with smoked paprika, or any of the Italian spices of your choice like dried thyme , basil or oregano when seasoning the mix;) then well-coated I froze one fillet for later in the week, the other I fried in a little rapeseed oil (about a tablespoon in a non stick frying pan) turning it once only when the underside was crisp and golden, took about 15 mins in all. Okay, this bumped up the calories being fried, so the other fillet, which I had today, I defrosted and then baked in the oven on a non stick baking sheet with 100g of cold, boiled Jersey Royal potatoes sliced thickly a finely chopped spring onion (scallion) and drizzled a desert-spoon of rapeseed oil over them and the fish fillet. Cook in a moderately hot oven, gas 5 or around the 180-190 Celsius for around 25-30 mins until crisp and golden. I had petite-pois peas with it and the minted pea sauce that came with the fillets warmed and poured over the fillet and it was absolutely gorgeous and that all came in at 395 cals the lot.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What's a "small" portion? I don't know any chippies that offer that round here.

Husband and I will often have one fish supper plus one fish, cos there's plenty of chips to share between us. But it would be very hard to demand that the chippies display calorie or nutritional info, since all their fish won't be a standard size.

Go for around 750-850 calories, and enjoy!
  • rebeccagoddard
    rebeccagoddard Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My local chip shop portions could seriously feed the 5000 anyway I find it even harder to work out the calories from it. One fish and chips feeds out family of 4 with left over (and they wonder why we have an obesity problem up north...) so I have a really tiny percentage of that with the batter off the fish and still just put it as a "take one for the team" days.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for the mini fish and chips (or sausage) and put it around 600 cals.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    google/mfp gave me 1000 calories for a portion of chip shop chips alone.
    add the fish ,closer to 2000.
    just had asda meal of haddock + chips, tiny portion and still 481 cals for 12 chips and a breaded haddock portion. and thats oven cooked not dripping in grease!
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Herewego wrote: »
    And again

"The average portion of fish and chips contains 595 calories and 9.42g of fat per 100g while the average pizza contains 871 calories and 11g of fat and the average chicken korma has 910 calories and 15.5g of fat.

" Chip shop chips are fatter but have less fat than fries. They are also among the healthiest fast food because there's no additives, no added salt and we cook from fresh, plus the average portion has double the fibre found in a portion of brown rice."

Well I think I have my answers. Thank you to all of you for your assistance.

Wait a minute..."we" cook?

So this great news that you'd be able to eat these fabulously low-cal (relatively speaking) fish and chips came from some website that sells the aforementioned food?

Seems legit.