BMR test

Options
I've hear that it is good to have your BMR tested to see where your metabolism really is, but I have never done it until now. I"ve used MFP off and on for the past few years with mixed results so I decided to see what I should really be doing. I run a lot and the more I try to stick to my recommended calories, the more weight I gain. How can that be?

Last week I heard the words that every (ok, most) women would LOVE to hear. If I want to lose the weight, I need to be eating 400-500 calories MORE each day - of course those should be healthy calories. Apparently my constant running has raised my metabolism and I need to eat more. If I do NOTHING but sit on the sofa and watch TV all day long, I burn 1771 calories and with regular daily activity that would bump up to 2302 - not including ANY exercise. That's only carpool, laundry, making dinner, etc. o_O The doctor who did this test says that if I exercise I should eat back enough of the calories so that I never have a daily total of under 1600 - with a goal of 1700. This will put me at a loss of about 1 pound a week.

My point to this message is this: MFP had me at 1240 calories a day. If you exercise regularly and can't seem to lose the pounds with what MFP tells you, maybe you should consider having your BMR tested. Maybe your body needs more.

Replies

• Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Where do you go to have this tested?
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have Kaiser. My insurance didn't cover it, but it was only $50. Any follow up testing is $30. Those rates are for Kaiser members, but they will still do it for you if you don't have Kaiser and it would be $75.